A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,395
Currently Running With Scissors:
759 Guests and 43 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crochet Rug Yarn Advice  (Read 3830 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

JennyBear
« on: July 19, 2006 01:55:11 PM »

Hello, I just discovered these beautiful crochet rugs by Karkula.

Prices aren't listed on the website but I imagine they'll be very very pricey so of course I want to make my own. Any ideas for the type of yarn I should use? Something that will be to stand up to being walked on but not be too rough to the touch? Is there anything I could treat it with perhaps to prolong its life?

Thanks craftsters.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010 10:55:33 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes ninjas hide in here.
PinkyK
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006 02:10:06 PM »

I'm pretty sure those rugs were featured in Metropolitan Home a couple of months ago! When I get home tonight I'll check and see if there is a price listed for them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JennyBear
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006 02:23:38 PM »

Ok so I just checked their website again and the bottom one, the runner, is listed at $11,580.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes ninjas hide in here.
PinkyK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006 02:26:21 PM »

Ok so I just checked their website again and the bottom one, the runner, is listed at $11,580.

Ya, most everything in that magazine is mega expensive.  But it is GREAT for ideas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ezri_B
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006 02:53:00 PM »

I would guess nylon for the type of cording/yarn to use. I just ordered some for some purses I want to make. I think I got it from Annie's Attic, but you can find it in other stores, (just not in my little area)
 The only thing I could think of to treat it would maybe be scotchguard.
They are beautiful though. Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

decarillion
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006 04:28:44 PM »

If you really wanted to do rug yarn rather than nylon cording, I got mine on sale for like 99 cents a skein at Herrschners some time last year. They also sell it in Hobby Lobby but you'll pay a WEE bit more for it Tongue

Oh, it's Aunt Lydia's..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
frogsrock
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006 08:34:26 PM »

you could try macrame string/yarn/whatever it is

or a thin nylon rope
THIS ROCKS   Logged
padray
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2006 10:19:53 PM »

I just had to say thanks for posting this!  You've totally inspired me to try out that top design for a lapghan!  I really like that style.  I'm thinking 1' circles, and a 3x4 circle grid... so 3'x4'.

Ooooh... Cheesy
Thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2006 10:35:02 PM »

I suppose the type of yarn would depend on where you were going to use the rugs.  The Aunt Lydia's rug yarn is a pretty basic polyester yarn.  Really basic.... only comes in a dozen colors or so.  Probably be perfectly fine for a bedroom rug or something like that.  Not very exciting, though.  I think a nice acrylic bulky would work just about as well, though I don't know whether polyester pills less than acrylic or that sort of thing.  Most of the really nice hooked rugs out there are made of wool, so I suppose that would be a really nice thing to make a crocheted rug out of, if you can find a nice lot of cheap Lopi or something like that on Ebay, and of course a rug you want to use in the kitchen or bathroom could be made out of a bulky cotton.  Lily did make a bulky sugar and cream, but they don't anymore, and I don't know if anyone else out there makes a bulky version of a kitchen cotton, but the worsted would probably work for the crocheted rugs, anyway. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
funkyhooker
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2007 04:41:37 AM »

The first thing I thought of was Aunt lydia's too but man,, you could prep a car for bondo with that crap!  I hate using it,, it'll take the skin right off your fingers!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I wist! http://www.wists.com/savagerabbit

-----BEGIN KNITTER'S GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
K E R Exp+ SPM Wood+ Bamboo ++ Steel+++ Baa+++ Syn-- Nov Lux+ @ Stash+++ Scale+ Fin Ent- FI- Int- Tex+ Lace-- Felt++  Flat Circ+ DPN+++ ML-- Swatch-- KIP+++ Blog SNB+++ EZ? FO? WIP3 F-- DK++ ALT Cr X Sw  
-----
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Vibrato Exercise on the Violin - Sound Waves
How to Play My Tractors Sexy on Violin Fiddle
How to Play The Adams Family Song on Violin
How to Play Somewhere Over the Rainbow on Violin
How to Play Happy Birthday on Violin
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...