A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,576
Currently Running With Scissors:
774 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Homemade Kid's Activity Book (Image Heavy)  (Read 5522 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Gishygoo
« on: July 18, 2006 08:30:08 PM »

I just recently finished this gift for my best friend's son.  He is actually like a nephew to me, so it was really fun to give this to him, and even more fun to see his mom's reaction!

My grandma used to make these books and she made one for me when I was little.  She taught me how and gave me copies of her patterns, so now I have made one!  Many of these patterns came from vintage patterns (meaning older than me and out of print, haha) and I am unsure of whether you could even get a copy any more.  But I am sure all you DIY-ers out there could figure out a way to do it without a pattern.  (Be warned though: a project this size and this detailed is probably going to take a month or longer to finish.  Ok, keep reading!)  I can't post a tute (due to the sheer length of it and exhaustiveness), but I will try to help anyone who wants to email me about a specific pattern.

I don't want to take up all of Craftster's bandwidth with this thing, so I am only posting a few pictures.  You can see the rest on my blog here http://gishygoo.blogspot.com/2006/07/pictures-as-promised.html and here http://gishygoo.blogspot.com/2006/07/birthday-present-for-little-tyke.html

Ok, so the first page is a hippo.  His nostrils are buttons and when you unbutton his mouth, there is a fat red tongue!  So cute.  I love that he is a bus driver.   Grin

I love the train, mostly because it has an elephant and teddy bear that you can put in and out of the cars.  (They are tied in with a string so they don't get lost.)

The alligator is my favorite, because inside he has a polka dot tongue!  Check out the links above to see it in action!!!  The sunny clock is also fun, and most kids love it.  The plastic hands actually rotate, thanks to a folding brad . . .

My sister loves to "hang the clothes."  They attach with a few hooks from hook and eye connectors.  And the basket below is a pocket to hold the clothes when they are dry!  Wink  The kangaroo has a surprise in her pocket, so if you want, check out my blog to find out what it is!  Shocked

I hope you've enjoyed looking!  Feel free to tell me what you think or ask any questions about it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check me out: www.gishygoo.blogsp ot.com
Everything is so wistical! www.wists.com/gishygoo
YourDadsMistress
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006 08:37:44 PM »

Wow very amazing! I love it and Im 23 LOL. Id play with it. Im a loser, I know. But yes, this is very awesome and well made!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ASUcraftster
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006 09:05:50 PM »

Wow! This is amazing! It reminds me of all those times when I had to go to the doctor and dentist as a little kid and they always had stuff like this laying around. It's awesome that you made this yourself! If I had the time (or a kid) I'd definitely make this myself!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"there are moments like this, moments you want to hold onto forever, but they're always gone when you realize how great they are. not this one, though. i know right now i want this one to last as long as it can; so i can stay here, barely breathing."
DancinJules
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006 09:54:10 PM »

awwww.....I had one of those when I was a kid made by my mommy!  Cheesy
Very nice work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Etsy Shop
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do...Explore. Dream.
Discover." -Mark Twain
Polymer Clay at Craft Gossip!
hnpinmemphis
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006 10:04:12 PM »

Shocked This is fantastic! I love that your Grandmother taught you how to make these adorable books. What a great way to create memories for yourself and for the little guy that receives the book.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
roxybadoxy

Glcklich mich

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006 10:09:51 PM »

that is so freaking cool! i really and honestly want one! so cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

please help some animals by clicking here!
OH! and there are other tabs so you can do more helpful things. YAY!!
klemmydia
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006 11:21:54 PM »

i remember seeing something like that when i was a kid. i was too old for it, but i was like. '... why didn't i get anything like this when i was learning these?'

this is dynamite though. i'm sure your 'nephew' will love it. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shooting star
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2006 07:42:27 AM »

The book is brilliant!

I've been meaning to make a book like this for a while now

well done

by the way how are the fish attatched to the pelicans rod?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006 07:55:15 AM by shooting star » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Swap Shop

wists

My crafting blog

I'm looking for cable afghan (tunisian) crochet hooks. Personal swap anyone?
sandraregina

Knewbie knitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2006 08:12:21 AM »

That's amazing. It looks like it would be a lot of fun to play with, and I love the detail work (and the strings to keep pieces from getting lost!)

I'm sure your 'nephew' will love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've got knitting needles, and I'm not afraid to use them.

This year I'm doing the 'Na-No' again: www.nanowrimo.org
30 days + 50,000 words + No sleep + Too much caffeine = One Novel in One Month.
SewLong
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2006 08:29:23 AM »

Unbelievable!  The details are delightful.  I love the turtle heart at the end.

Thanks so much for sharing.  As a mother, I can tell you that it is a pain to teach your kid this stuff, and a fun learning tool ROCKS.  My eight year old pretty much shimmies his pants up and down over his skinny little bottom to avoid doing the button and zipper.  In other words, even if it took you a month to make, it is SO worth it. 

Anyone remember Dressy Bessy and Dapper Dan?  That would be another fun project to teach buttoning/tying/zipping.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Play Catan Seafarers Board Game
Settlers of Catan
Ladies Behind the Beat .TV - Gail Jhonson - Interview
Learn About the Marionette Puppet
How to Lip Synchronize a Puppet Properly
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...