A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 298,627
Currently Running With Scissors:
667 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CAMEOS  (Read 2159 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

beadizzygrl
Tutorial Contributor

My Perty Thangs......If the green light is on, I am home!!

MONSTER good luck coming my way!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: July 18, 2006 03:23:39 PM »

Sorry to be a post hog, but I am very excited finding this, I so had to share.  I have seen clayers make cameo molds to use for jewelry.  But with this one, no mold needed.  I found this fabulous find at flea market.  It made my year!!!!

This is the front. It is smooth.

This is the back.  It is carved from back. 

I first spray my crystal with water, and press clay into crystal. (the water keeps clay from sticking) I remove clay from crystal.   I encircle the cameo with twisted rope clay.  I then apply liquid sculpy (mixed with chalk and glitter) by dripping it off a tooth pick being careful not to get any on the raised part of cameo and "rope frame". Pierce holes (if desired)  Bake then bead.

Finished set, I used circular peyote stitch for chain.

Bracellette with magnetic clasp
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007 05:39:29 PM by beadizzygrl - Reason: Improved pics » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gina
I am not obsessed with Perty Thangs, I am disciplined...

I have alot to share, all you gotta do is ask.

Crochet, x-stitch, Ribbon embroidery, plastic canvas, beadwork, polymer clay, wire work, and now TATTING!!  Please help me learn to knit, then I might be complete.
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006 05:15:15 PM »

Well, the end result looks nice!... but can't quite understand what you say you're doing  Huh .

Is it that first, you found a "crystal" which has been carved so that there a raised head remains on the front side (which is frosty looking), and which is and innie image of the head on the back?  Is that right?

I first spray my crystal with water, and press into crystal.

Hmmmm ... press what into crystal??

Then you drip liquid clay with inclusions into the back of the crystal cameo's head?

being careful not to get any on the raised cameo.

So, being careful not to drop any of the liquid clay onto the background part of the cameo (still working on the back side)?

Then you bake the liquid clay in the crystal cameo... add a layer of colored clay as a background (still in the cameo),  and bake again??  Then pop out, add the frame and bake a final time?

Maybe I've got it all way wrong though!

Diane B.
GlassAttic....polymer clay "encyclopedia" http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
little bit'o photosharing: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/dianeatglassattic/my_photos
THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
roxybadoxy

Glcklich mich

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006 05:58:40 PM »

those are really pretty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

please help some animals by clicking here!
OH! and there are other tabs so you can do more helpful things. YAY!!
beadizzygrl
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006 10:00:38 PM »

I modified my post DianeB.  I rushed thru first time, I was so excited lol.  Is this better now?? Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gina

Crochet, x-stitch, Ribbon embroidery, plastic canvas, beadwork, polymer clay, wire work, and now TATTING!!  Please help me learn to knit, then I might be complete.
mynta
Tutorial Contributor

True Mistress of Chaos

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006 12:59:35 AM »

OMG! Youre a such a lucky girl. What a treasure you find!!!! Shocked And what a lovely stuff you made out of it! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

..yes, it IS like that! U should see my Craftingroom. Chaos, just chaos and Im the only one who can master that room.
WhisperedEternity
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006 01:05:24 AM »

I'm really, really jealous. I ocassionally manage to find cheap cameos at car boots, in charity shops etc but I would love to be able to make them!! They are so pretty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Live, love, be, believe
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006 09:40:11 AM »

Well, I think I got it now ... so make sure this is right:

You didn't make a separate mold for the head of the cameo, or for the entire cameo --head and background, but you did use the back side of a cameo as a mold  because the back had a recessed head shape (with "raised" flat background around it), and the whole cameo was contained in a metal rim which was part of the frame for it.

Then you describe how to make the first cameo (with the black glitter background).

You put a ball-teardrop of clay (the color you wanted the cameo head to be) into the depression of the head and background area, large enugh to pretty much fill area inside the metal rim-frame on the back.

You removed the clay, and added a twisted-rope clay frame around the single-color cameo.

Then you colored the background of the cameo by dripping liquid clay with inclusions (chalk + glitter) onto it with a toothpick, without getting any liquid clay on the head area or on the twisted frame. 
Finally you added any attachers you wanted, then baked.

Whew... let me know if that's right!

I was having a little trouble wrapping my head around what you did for several reasons.
That's a different technique from the usual way to make cameos with polymer clay, and also I'm not sure I've ever seen a cameo carved into crystal so wasn't quite sure how that was different from regular conch or agate, etc., cameos  (...turns out your crystal was carved from the back leaving a smooth front, where most cameos are carved from the front leaving a smooth back).  In traditional cameos, the carving is done  into the top layer of a 2-layer material of 2 different colors, but I've heard that for some cameos, the background material is dyed after the carving is made, so that's sort of like you did!  Interesting.

Diane B.
GlassAttic....polymer clay "encyclopedia" http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
little bit'o photosharing: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/dianeatglassattic/my_photos

« Last Edit: July 19, 2006 09:43:51 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
beadizzygrl
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2006 10:53:38 AM »

YES!!!!  DianeB   This is why I could not be a teacher, hard to explain how I do things.  Thanks bunches on helping me explain lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gina

wanching
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2006 11:13:30 PM »

wow!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What It Means to Lead in Innovation Consulting Job
Exhibit Tour: Prada and Schiaparelli at The Met
Push Button House
2000 IKEA Hangers Transformed Into Art
Off Book: Product Design
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament
Falling for Autumn Crafts
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Roll with Maple Cream Cheese Filling

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...