A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
517 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: please help! crafty no more!  (Read 622 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cait
« on: July 18, 2006 03:12:34 PM »

Hi everyone,
  so lately I've been in quite the craft rut. I usually love to sew, my major was apparel design for a while, but lately when I get out my machine and start a project I get so incredibaly frustrated and discouraged, and always manage to make a huge mess that I never feel like cleaning up, and my started project ends up in the trash. Also, every time I sew with my machine my back is absolutely KILLING me by the time I'm through. I've tried remembering to sit up straight, but I dont know, I guess I still hunch. Anyone have any suggestions for that? I'm only 19, so it can't be from my age or anything. (at least I hope not!)
I also usually love to scrapbook, I seriously think I was addicted for a little bit, and love making cards and paper crafts of all kinds. Lately...not at all!  I crochet too, and same thing there. I picked up embroidery for a little while, but, you guessed it, no desire to work on any of my half finished projects. I tried cooking too, but my kitchen gets so hot in my texas apartment, that that is out of the question! I'm so sick of not crafting, but I don't know what to do! I'm thinking maybe if I can find a craft that's quick and entertaining to work on it can bring me out of this funk. Anyone have any suggestions for something fast and fun? I don't really want to buy a ton more supplies because I fear they'd just be wasted with the way things are going, but I have a fair amount of most craft supplies, and would be willing to buy a little more if something sounds promising. So, think you can help me? All suggestions are welcome, and thanks in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
neko neko kitty
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006 03:21:44 PM »

I'm sorry to hear about your recent crafty funk... I recently went into a depression and couldn't bring myself to craft and got a lot of wonderful responses from other Craftsters in this thread.

I ended up going to fabric shops and looking at fabrics with bright and vibrant patterns/colors. To get back into crafting I put everything down for a couple of days and when I picked stuff back up again I made sure it was really small and quick and didn't require a lot of work so I knew I could get through it. I hope you feel better soon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ASUcraftster
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006 03:25:03 PM »

I'm thinking your sewing problem is more of a height thing. Probably your chair or your table isn't at the right height and you have to hunch over to see it correctly. Try switching desks where your sewing machine is and see if that makes a difference. As for crafting, I'm having the same problem! Usually what I do is find something in my room and try and figure out how to make it completely different. Especially since I'm heading to college this fall, I need to do a lot of crafts before I have no time! Anyway, I would suggest looking around your apartment and finding something that you could re-do quick and easy. Like taking a lampshade and painting it to match your decor. Also, soap making is always quick and fun! Hope this helped you out some!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"there are moments like this, moments you want to hold onto forever, but they're always gone when you realize how great they are. not this one, though. i know right now i want this one to last as long as it can; so i can stay here, barely breathing."
Stephen Weaver
Textile boffin

Crusader for a day.....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006 04:08:18 PM »

I agree with what ASU says (but please, ASU, have mercy on older crafters and use a legible print size Embarrassed) and would also suggest you look around the Web at some of the fabulous things other people are making - that is sure to inspire you.

Also, something I've found very useful on Craftster is to go to a board that interests you (example Polyclay), limit the search to just that board and then type in "tutorial" - that would bring up all the polyclay tutes at once.  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Enthusiastic worker in almost all textile media, currently heavily involved in theatrical costumes.  Also love papier-mach and mosaic work and gardening.  Happy to meet new people too. 
I DO STASH SWAPS - SEND ME YOUR EXCESS OR UNWANTED MATERIALS AND I WILL SEND MINE!
amybaby
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006 01:53:30 AM »

i have major crafty ADD (not to make light of real ADD) and i almost never finish a crohet project so i can totally relate. The other threads referenced have the really good advice on how ur feeling, so I just listed a few easy/quick things.

This is just off the top of my head, but....
you could cover a regular notebook or composition book w/snippets of paper and photos and modpodge it,
you can crochet a scrunchie, sew scrunchies (even if you wouldn't wear them, you can give them to any little girls u know),

those flat glass marbles w/images glued underneath that were so hot a couple of years ago are pretty easy,

a magazine collage,

i bought a cheap wooden box and covered it w/paint/glitter/plastic pearls, it took a couple of hours and i'm really happy w/it.

i got cheap tiles at home depot (4/$1), took images of pulp fiction novels, used gel medium (like modpodge) to glue them to the top and a few coats over it, glued felt to bottom, voila! coasters

check out www.craftychica.com, a lot of her projects seem pretty quick

If you have cardboard, glue, and yarn u can try a *very* simple version of Mexican yarn paintings, maybe even find a free coloring book image off the web and use that for guidelines for the glue! Hmmm, i'm getting excited here, maybe i should try it?
info on Huichol http://www.latinamericanfolkart.com/about_yarn_paintings.htm

fake mosaic w/cut up paper instead of tiles?

Hope you get ur crafty mojo back soon!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There is nothing in a caterpillar that tells you it's going to be a butterfly.
-Buckminster Fuller

http://moonstonelove.etsy.com
http://www.flickr.com/people/moonstonelove
http://www.myspace.com/moonstonelove
swift

That's never a pit bull!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006 06:18:28 AM »

I have an illness that keeps me lying on the couch for most of the day. I can understand the back hurting thing during sewing: I think it's a hunching thing for me as well, and I find it hard to not hunch no matter how much I remind myself...so I hand sew while lying on the couch. I'm making little things (like eye masks and camera cases) but have moved on to messenger bags, all done by hand! Sewing by hand makes me feel more in control of the item I'm working on, and I find it's harder to make mistakes when I'm doing it slowly and thoughtfully.

I've recently starting teaching a craft group to youth at the library, and I'm totally into bath things right now. I've done bath salts, bath bombs, and soap thus far, and hope to try lip balms this weekend. The salts are super easy -- some salts, some colour, and a nice smell and you're done -- and you can have some fun decorating the bags or boxes. Same with bath bombs. With the exception of the citric acid, which is simply hard for me to find in a smaller town, everything's dead cheap!

Hope I've offered an idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It's not an obsession. It's a quest for excellence!"
WeeWah
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006 03:10:52 PM »

I've recently started making freezer paper stencils for fabric and it's awesome.  You can find freezer paper in your super market.  It's like 3 bucks for 75 squatre feet.  You also need an exacto knife, some kind of ink or paint for fabric, your fabric and an iron.  I think there is a tutorial on crafster somewhere.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pizzaone
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2006 10:08:36 AM »

Hi,

I got tired of alway digging in my purse to find my ink pen. So I made a pen holder out of brocade ribbon with some velcro to hold it shut.
I measured the pen I was going to use but made the holder a littler bigger to accomodate a larger pen if need be.  I just used fabric glue to hold it together. When I sit a lot, I try to keep my legs elevated. That helps my back.

Cathy
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006 12:26:07 PM by sweets4ever » THIS ROCKS   Logged
cinnamon teal
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2006 12:19:20 PM »

Sorry to hear about your crafting troubles.  I got my BA in art and some times I just didn't feel like drawing, painting, etc.  I found a couple strategies to get through it, though.  First, sometimes you just have to work through it.  Just keep making stuff, even if it's terrible (try it with inexpensive or reusable materials  Smiley) it isn't the most fun, but you'll get out of it eventually.  Second method - try something totally different.  Sometimes I get into a rut and I just need something new to give me inspiration.  For example, since you do a lot of sewing and scrapbooking maybe you could try polymer clay?

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fudgegirl
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2006 06:28:53 PM »

i had a touch of the craft-depression too... i feel for you - i know how much it sucks.
anyway, what worked for me was putting on some rockin' music, and just sewing, even though i didnt want to. also if you're like me and like to run, go for a short, hard run. when i had finished i was too tired to be grouchy, and i just crafted....
try these for fast and fun things:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=81930.0
plus, for these you have to indulge in chocolate therapy.... Grin what a hardship.
but the downside is that you have to have some thin brown foam lying around.... i just did these because i had started a couple, so i had the materials, and once i had made some more i had the pleasure of having finished some UFO's (un-finished objects...)
well, i hope those help... apart from that i'm a bit stuck on the 'quick but crafty' things... but iPod covers are also quick, so there you go, there's another craft.
hope your crafty mojo returns soon,  Kiss Fudgegirl
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Change the Audio of Your Videos in Windows Movie Maker
Turn Yourself Into a Vampire in Gimp
How to Use Mario Paint Composer
How to Make Your Own Custom Brushes in Gimp
How to Add Gradient Effect To Text in Gimp
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...