A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,734
Currently Running With Scissors:
713 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Any books like S&B for Crochet?  (Read 2546 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Xanthia

the goddess of hugs

View Profile
« on: August 08, 2004 07:20:30 PM »

I know there are tons of free patterns out there for crochet, but anyone found any hip books? I'm trying to teach myself how to crochet, and I'm already bored of sqares Wink Hehe!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

greenchick

Enough to make a pearl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2004 07:35:02 PM »

Vogue Knitting: Crochet Scarves on the Go has some ridiculously pretty scarves that I imagine you could adapt for a variety of projects. Some of the ideas are discussed on this thread (i. e. - one person thought of using a scarf as a window valance). I bought the book and was really pleased with the patterns. Also, Erika Knight has a crochet book that is really nice. As far as "hip" crochet patterns a la Stitch n' Bitch, I don't know of any, but I have heard that Sn'B Nation will have some crochet patterns. Stitch Diva has some nice patterns, but so far she has a limited amount.

Good luck!
Jill
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amie

Get Hooked on Style!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2004 04:35:09 AM »

I can tell you honestly, no.  I've looked countless times for "hip" patterns, that are well-written, well-illustrated, and offer suggestions for how to creatively alter the pattern.  Not to mention, offer a range of projects for certain skill levels.  And what I mean by "hip" is patterns for a new generation of young crocheters.  Most of the stuff out there is for the 40 and up crowd, with regard to patterns for clothing.  Otherwise, there's a decent selection of crochet patterns for housewares like pillows and such.

That's why I decided to start making my own patterns.  I should have some up and going within the next two weeks on Ebay, which by the way is a great place to start looking for individual patterns, when you think you're ready for that. 

A couple questions for you...

You said you were bored of squares.  What stitches have you learned so far that you're confident you know?  More importantly, what kinds of patterns are you interested in? Scarves?  Pillows? Shawls?  I'm just trying to figure out where you are and what you'd be up for, so I can at least make a suggestion to you for a pattern.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Xanthia

the goddess of hugs

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2004 10:32:43 AM »

I'm trying to figure out how to crochet in the round...but its hard. I'm thinking of taking a class, and that will open up a lot of opportunity. Stitchguide has saved me since I need to see in order to learn most times Smiley

I think I want to make funky hats, or at least animal hats to start. The round just isn't clicking...yet! I'll get it! *grin*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

waterbaby
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2004 11:41:27 AM »

I'm trying to figure out how to crochet in the round...
Do you mean like "tubes" such as when knitters use circular needles?  Or do you mean solid round like a coaster?

For the first, I would think you could chain the length you want for your circumference (maybe a little less to allow for stretch), slip stitch the ends together, and then start crocheting into the chain as you would if the chain were flat.

For the second, there are a couple of methods, the most common being to chain, say, four, slip stitch the ends, crochet X number into the circle created by the joined chain, and then continue crocheting into each stitch as normal.  To keep it flat, you need to increase as you go around which is done by crocheting two stitches into one, first in every stitch and then not as frequently after the first few rounds or your piece will become wavy.

To make hats, you generally start with the second method noted above and then as you continue out you adjust by increasing and decreasing to shap the crown and then, if you want one, the brim.

For more detailed (and probably clearer) information, search online for "free crochet pattern" and maybe "hat" or "round" or "coaster" (for flat rounds).  And be sure to show us what you end up making!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
meexie
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2004 01:52:57 PM »

There's a 3-page thread sorta on this topic over at Glitter.  Recommendations for crochet books and websites start at the bottom of the first page.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2004 01:57:18 PM by meexie » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Xanthia

the goddess of hugs

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2004 01:54:49 PM »

Thank you so much meexie, I don't really head over there!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amie

Get Hooked on Style!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2004 04:01:32 PM »

I'm trying to figure out how to crochet in the round...but its hard. I'm thinking of taking a class, and that will open up a lot of opportunity. Stitchguide has saved me since I need to see in order to learn most times Smiley

I'm with you on that.  I'm the same way.  I need extensive pictures or diagrams, if I can't have someone right there to help me do it.

I think I want to make funky hats, or at least animal hats to start. The round just isn't clicking...yet! I'll get it! *grin*

Working in the round can be more challengeing than making those squares you've been making!  I can't say that I've seen any patterns for hats that have animals on them.  I'll keep an eye out for you.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mojo
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2004 04:33:08 AM »

This Craftster member has created amazing crocheted things:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=2049.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bells
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2004 04:51:55 AM »

Maggie Righetti's Crochet in Plain English is a great book - not for patterns but for explaining and exploring crochet in all sorts of really helpful ways. You can get it from Amazon. I really recommend it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Walk in High Heeled Slingbacks
Mila Kunis and Michelle Williams Give Us Two Takes on the LBD
Jessica Stam Talks About Her Summer Style at the Coach Party
3 Cool Ways to Wear Printed Floral Jeans
Top 5 Swimsuit Trends for Summer 2012
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...