A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,153
Currently Running With Scissors:
680 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I never thought that I would wear these!  (Read 2656 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Paroxysm
« on: July 17, 2006 03:29:15 PM »

MmK, so this is my very first post and my first attempt at something of the sort.

Here are some pictures of my spiffy new shoes.

Off:

On:

My Process

Step 1. Have your aunt give you an ugly, plain pair of shoes that are obviously cheap.
Step 2. Cut shoes into bits.
Step 3. Stuff shoes with shreds of construction paper.
Step 4. Paint basecoat.
Step 5. Let sit.
Step 6. Paint again and / or write on.
Step 7. Wear.

The shoe on the bottom is what I started out with. The other is the one I cut up. I actually kinda liked the shoe before I cut the tongue out, but that striped thing in the middle cut off circulation to my foot. I was originally going to cut it out and leave the tongue that's around it, but it wouldn't come out all the way.

Here's me wearing both shoes after they've been cut up. Much comfier!

For the first shoe, I was originally going to use stencils to put a moon and some stars in, but it looked pretty bad, so I started over. For the basecoat, I put a jumble of random colors over the failed attempt, then went over them with a watered down bronze-brown color... and scratched the surface with the back of my paint brush.

The shoe at the top left is the first shoe, with basecoat.

This is what the first shoe looked like when I was finished.

Here's the second shoe's basecoat... which is basically everything. It's just a simple rainbow.

Write a few words, and we're done!

Honestly, I like the first shoe a lot better than the second. That might be because it took more effort, but I like the overall effect of both shoes either way. My plan was to make them contrasting, and I think that I did a good job.

The words on the first shoe read, "The stars gleam," and the words on the second shoe say, "The poets dream." They're song lyrics taken from the musical, RENT. The song is called Without You. I thought it seemed appropriate.

I'm not sure if these will hold up. I fear that they will crack, chip, fade, or something of the sort. Oh well. I think that they look pretty nifty, and I plan on wearing them. It'd be nice for some information on what generally happens with painted shoes. I used acrilycs, by the way.

Positive and / or negative feedback, anyone?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006 03:31:33 PM by Paroxysm » THIS ROCKS   Logged
RETR0 glamour x
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006 07:17:52 AM »

I like them a lot! I always feel bad when I get odd gifts and never use/wear them, I should look at them as future projects instead of closet clutter.. haha Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Delighted
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006 02:27:12 PM »

Heheh! I still love those shoes. You did a really good job! (How does it feel to know your cousin got you on Crafster?  Cheesy)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Simon Sinek on Finding Inspiration to Write His Book "Leaders Eat Last"
The 9 Best Books For Meaningful Change
The Traitor’s Wife by Allison Pataki
Sean Strub Speaks Out on His Political Career
Doris Kearns Goodwin: Similarities Between Digital and Industrial Eras
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...