A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 300,941
Currently Running With Scissors:
643 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to use elastic hair tie for purse fastener?  (Read 578 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

depphead
« on: July 17, 2006 06:48:08 PM »

I tried doing a search on the board for this, and can't find it?
I've read in some posts where some of you have used an elastic hair tie for the top closure of
a purse (that would go over a bead or button)
I've made a cereal box purse that I've spray adhered onto strong illustration board.  It's got a fabric liner.
I realize I probably need to drill the hole for sewing on the bead (and elastic band)...But what I need to know is,
How do you attach the elastic hair band (ponytail band)?
Would really appreciate your help!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kmsmaverick
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006 10:35:02 AM »

depphead, i use them all the time. but i only use fabric for my bags- so because i don't use cardboard, i can sew the elastic into the top seam.
(like you do wih a handle- pin everything inside the bag, then insert the lining RSO and sew aroundthe top, pull through and everything is facing the right way).  lookee! i'm so efficient, that i snapped this pic that has a super view of how it ends up!

anyway, it still might work for you. i bet since you've got a fabric liner you can sandwich the elastic beween the illustration board and the fabric, then apply the adheisive. though you might not be able to with this project cause it sounds like it might be pretty close to completed. so for this bag, perhaps you can use a button or a stud of some sort, maybe use two of the same kinds of buttons but glue one side to the elastic.

something like this:
this is made of fabric too, but you can see where i permanently attached the elastic to one side (the round button) and it loops around the oval one.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010 04:59:17 PM by MareMare - Reason: to fix coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

depphead
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006 10:53:01 AM »

Smiley Thank you SO much for your input!!  I appreciate your information and beautiful pics!
Your purses are really nice!
Before I got your message, I had attached the hair band by using the punch tool from my
grommet making supplies, and punched two holes thru the board and fabric. It worked great.
But I REALLY like your way, and will definately take your advice on my next fabric purse.
Thanks so much!
When I get a pic taken of the purse, I'll post it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kmsmaverick
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006 11:00:16 AM »

oh yeah, thread it through the two holes and then through itself. smart idea! do post pics!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Stick Figure Animations - in Pivot
How To Make Watermarks
How to make HD Videos Using Cyberlink Power Director
How to Design a Haunted House Part 1/3
How to Design a Club Flyer - Putting it all together 13/14
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...