A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 299,181
Currently Running With Scissors:
615 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Kitchen window needs help!  (Read 608 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

deweygirl
« on: July 17, 2006 05:37:58 PM »

My kitchen has one of those windows that has been punched out to make kind of a mini greenhouse with two shelves.  It would look great filled with plants, but the problem is that it's too hot - the plants I put in all died.  I tried cactus, and they didn't die, but they're just not very exciting...  I would love to come up with a really striking decorating idea that doesn't cost a lot of money.  Help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jjm
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006 11:59:19 AM »

Here's an interesting "peel and stick" film that you could use on the panes of glass to cut down on the amount of sunlight.  Very inexpensive too!

http://www.glassdecorandmore.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?item=17samples
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tofuttibreak
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2006 01:12:11 PM »

I grew vincas in a spot where nothing else would even think of surviving. I planted them every year for four years and they usually bloomed for about 6-8 months. They aren't all that exciting, but they are pretty and hardy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ayn
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2006 01:40:33 PM »

Many herbs love heat+sun... but... it's possible that a big  problem for most plants in a location like you have could be humidity(from cooking, hot sink water, dishwasher, etc?) &-or lack of air circulation. If that's the case, herbs may not be a great choice either.

How about some sort of cute lil display.. maybe a collection of flea-market/thrift shop teapots or cups&saucers...
Or, depending on that humidity situation, maybe bunches of pretty & useful "dried" herbs.

Or, use the area for storing less-commonly-used but still important items such as pots , or bowls , or kitchen utensils (maybe in some nice old jars from fleamarket/thriftshop).

Mainly storage/partly display is how we use the 2 shelves across window over double sink and also 2 shelves across another window over a long counter in our kitchen --- because unfortunately with plants the problem for us has been "not-enough" sunlight. 
[I also stack clean kitchen towels there but mine are all-white, not sure that would work with colored ones even in our situation, maybe not yours either, because of sun-fading]
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Obsessed: Skincare Finds
Beauty Guide: Contouring 101
Beauty Guide: 5 Must Have Makeup Brushes
Obsessed: Beauty Finds
Beauty Guide: Winged Eyeliner
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...