A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 304,845
Currently Running With Scissors:
474 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My Hot Utilikilt!!!!!!! (Now with Tutorial!!!!!!)  (Read 30701 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Sabertooth Pixie
« on: July 17, 2006 12:45:30 PM »

This is my utilikilt...I made it a while ago but I am just getting around to posting all my crafty creations because until a few weeks ago, I had no digital camera...

Here is the front:

And the back:

And me modeling it:

Sorry if the pictures are a bit fuzzy... but I hope you enjoy!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2006 08:04:21 PM by Sabertooth Pixie » THIS ROCKS   Logged
violentjayne
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006 12:58:49 PM »

wow . thats awsome , i love it, especially the little chains on the back . thats so cool  ,
THIS ROCKS   Logged

.awestruckamature.
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006 02:36:17 PM »

that looks fabulous! great job Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
InfiniteCosmos

it's all the blanket.....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006 02:48:00 PM »

oh neato! i want one! i saw the utilikilt people at the country fair this year and they had so many super cute styles and i wanted one so bad but they were $158!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i was totally pissed. the girl working the booth had one on that was shortened and it looked so damned cute and i want one so bad! did you use a pattern for yours?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.icoregongear.com: Step into an Infinite Cosmos of Sustainable Style!
www.myspace.com/infinitecosmos420dotcom
www.hyenacart.com/something
www.icoregonglass.com Step Into an Infinite Cosmos of handblown Glass!
www.infinitecosmosgirl.etsy.com
Sabertooth Pixie
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006 03:01:13 PM »

nope, no pattern... I will make some sketches of how I did it and post a tut within the next few days!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
La Principessa
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006 04:22:00 PM »

Oooh, very cute. Good for you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://whatiwore.blogspot.com is the coolest website ever!
teenage77kicks

teenager from outer space

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2006 08:41:40 PM »

i JUST saw those on tv! they were one some flea market show. before two hours ago i had no idea such a thing as a utilikilt existed, and then i start looking on here and BAM! there is a utilikilt. it looks good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

.:nikki

When I say I'm in love, you best believe I'm in love, L-U-V.
Sabertooth Pixie
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2006 08:03:47 PM »

Here is the tute you guys! Good luck! Sorry for the crudeness of the cropping and such...my paint skills are that of none...

First you go to a surplus/vintage/thrift store and buy a pair of army pants...like these:

then you cut of the legs:

you now have this:

now cut open the legs along the inner seams...(marked in pink) and cut off the cuffs...(circled in green):

now lay your pieces flat... and cut the legs in half along the pink lines:

now sew all your legs together to form a long strip:

(depending on how big you plan to make your pleats...you may have to add more camo fabric to the stuff you got off the pants...)

but now you can pleat your fabric onto the skirt part you cut off earlier:

Then I sewed down each pleat a little way just to help them stay after I pressed them all into place...here is an attempted pic at sewing dow the pleats (I used a zigzag stitch where the whit is...to about 1/3 down each pleat...):

and then you could add chains like I did or some other embellishment if you wish!

Hope this helped!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Wanderer
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2006 10:45:12 PM »

*sigh* Is nothing sacred?  Kilts are MEN's wear, and "Utilikilts" are a brand name.  There's jeans, and there's Levis.  There's kilts, and then there's Utilikilts.  It's trademarked.  Capisce?

However, that looks a lot like how Utilikilts founder Steven Villegas got his start!  And as has been mentioned, they are pricey; however, this is to be expected considering 100% they are made in America, one at a time; not at Bangladeshi sweatshops like Wal-Mart crap.  I've had one for over three years now, done ugly, dirty grunt work in it, run it through the washer and dryer, and there is not one indication it's coming apart.  Definitely high quality stuff.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- H.L. Mencken
Sabertooth Pixie
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2006 12:05:48 AM »

Accually there are many women that wear kilts now. Scottish Highland Dancers wear them (my sister dances by the way), and any female bagpiper or drummer will wear one. And they are also worn in sports such as lacroos and field hockey.

I'm sure you already knew most of that...but considering that alot of our modern world had women wearing kilts...I felt it needed to be said. And I made my kilt to wear and show my scottish pride. I wear it to all of my sister's competitions as well as other conventions we have gone to.

I can understand where you are coming from... but just understand that I made this more as a tribute, than a fashion statement...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Author Glenn Beck
Meet Author Allison Dubois
Sanjaya Malakar Reveals Who He Admires Most
Harriet Evans Talks About The Love of Her Life
Behind the Scenes with Matt Van Fleet
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...