A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 300,871
Currently Running With Scissors:
623 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Question before the big game.  (Read 2064 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

deathsbloom
Iron-On God

Warning: Slow Children

View Profile
« on: August 08, 2004 09:38:41 AM »

Okay, I am making a surprise for my friend. I've got an image I made that I want as an iron on.

Okay, it will be a black shirt with the image below as the main image (size + all = correct).

Problem: Printers dont print white ink; does that mean the paper will make the white transparent; therefore only showing the black? Black on black = black shirt; no different. Before I go blow my money, I'd like some input. Thanks, all!

« Last Edit: August 08, 2004 09:41:00 AM by deathsbloom » THIS ROCKS   Logged
gluey
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2004 09:58:42 AM »

As long as you use dark fabric transfers the white will be fine.  Dark Fabric transfers, don't really "transfer," they pretty much just melt onto the fabric.  The black will probably be a different shade than the shirt.  What I usually do instead of transfering a big square, is cut out as close to the image as possible and then transfer it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

deathsbloom
Iron-On God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2004 10:00:45 AM »

As long as you use dark fabric transfers the white will be fine.  Dark Fabric transfers, don't really "transfer," they pretty much just melt onto the fabric.  The black will probably be a different shade than the shirt.  What I usually do instead of transfering a big square, is cut out as close to the image as possible and then transfer it.

But the white won't come out as transparent? Oh how I hope not... :-/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gluey
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2004 10:05:06 AM »

the white won't come out transparent because the dark fabric transfer paper is white.  the paper just melts onto the shirt.  whatever you see on the transfer is exactly what will be on the shirt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

scrappygirl085
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2004 10:46:55 AM »

You are right.  The white part will just look transparent.  I hope somebody knows how to remedy the situation.

BTW - great picture
THIS ROCKS   Logged
K8upL8
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2004 11:21:13 AM »

Not sure if this will do it maybe if you did it in a pink or yellow instead of the white... still not sure... maybe you should turn it into a bleach stencil shirt? lots of cutting tho. Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
K8upL8
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2004 11:23:16 AM »

I jusat read this post on another thread it might help
THIS ROCKS   Logged
deathsbloom
Iron-On God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2004 10:02:51 AM »

Does anyone have one of those kiosk at their mall? They make those tshirts like "I love my grandpa" and junk. If I send them that picture and a request, do you think they'd be able to handle it?

(and thanks, its a picture from my eigth grade dance)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
halfjapanezegrl
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2004 12:22:56 PM »

You should all listen to Gluey!  There's no need to send your image to a mall kiosk... they'll do the exact same thing you can do at home for way more money (many of these kiosks only print on light fabric anyway). 
You need to purchase Iron on Transfer paper that is specifically for dark fabrics.  The brand Avery makes some, they look like this:
http://www.business-supply.com/dept/2045344/avery-iron-on-dark-t-shirt-transfers.html
They can be purchased at Office Max, Staples, etc. 
Here's how it works: when you print images from an ink jet printer, your printer uses magenta, cyan, yellow, and black ink; no white.  When you print on white paper, white and light colors are made by the absence of ink.  Traditional (light fabric) transfer paper is translucent; therefore, white appears when your transfer is ironed on to a white shirt and the white of the fabric shows through the areas that have no ink on them.  However, dark fabric transfer paper is white to begin with; when you print on it, the white appears because the background of the transfer paper is already white.  (Think of your printed image as a giant sticker).  Then, you can cut out your image and iron it directly to your shirt.  Because it's like a big, opaque, sticker, none of your fabric will show through (even areas that have no ink)... the dark iron on transfer paper starts off as white so any colors are made by adding ink, not by the transparency of the paper. 
Your image looks great and will definitely make an awesome T-shirt.  I recommend trying it yourself and I've had a lot of luck with the Avery opaque transfer paper.  If you're still confused, go check out the instructions that come with the paper; I've got mine in front of me and they're very easy to follow.  If anything, print out a small verison and go through the steps on a scrap piece of fabric so you can see the results. 
Another option, if you can't find any dark transfer paper is to buy the regular iron on transfer paper (much cheaper, by the way), and iron your image onto some white fabric and then cut it out and sew it to your black shirt (kind of a cool effect itself).
Good luck; I hope I didn't confuse you further.  Try the DIY way, I know you can do it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DIY of all kinds.

My blog: http://www.atxdiy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Work With Layers in Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
How to Save the Selections in Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
How to Refine the Selection Edge in Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
How to Use the Quick Selection Tool in Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
How to Use Magic Wand Tool in Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...