A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 298,768
Currently Running With Scissors:
583 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: swap safety!  (Read 4390 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Berry Apple
« on: July 16, 2006 03:02:52 PM »

Isn't anybody here worrying about the danger of giving out your address? I really want to do a swap but my Dad absolutely refuses point blank to let me because someone will know my address Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bonbonz101
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2006 03:04:51 PM »

My parents did as well as first ... but I just told them that nothing bad (that I know of!) has happened on craftster ... no stalking, or identity theft, or anything like that. Anyone could find your address somehow on the internet or in a phonebook anyways  Undecided I hope this helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Back from a long hiatus!
PM me about personal swaps Tongue

Wists: http://www.wists.com/bonbonz101
Style blog: http://mypolychromelife.blogspot.com
Check out my vintage Etsy store!: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6023310

Smiley
jp197012
JP

me on my wedding day

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2006 03:22:19 PM »

would your dad agree to have a package mailed to his job?  i know my employer is ok with employees having things shipped there.  just a thought  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SherNWT
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2006 03:26:24 PM »

Could you get a plain old post office box just for swapping.  Then it is not linked to your actual address.

Your dad is right to be cautious but swapping is fun.

sher
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Berry Apple
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2006 04:20:04 PM »

Hhhmmnn... I haven't a clue how much those things cost... will look it up... Also the work idea... must ask my dad...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
charliebrown

Babies are for lickin'

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2006 07:32:24 PM »

Do your parents spend any time with you on this website? Maybe if you showed them some of the things people are getting and all of the great things people are saying your Dad might feel better about it. I am a parent and I know I would be nervous about my son giving out personal information like his address, but if I was comfortable with the site, I would let him go ahead.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SevsOnlyGirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2006 07:51:54 PM »

Yes, your Dad is perfectly right to be cautious.  This site seems to be safer than most I've been on.  Around me a PO Box is about $5 for six months.  That wouldn't be too expensive.  He could even pick up the packages for you if he wanted! Wink  That might make him feel better.

CharlieBrown is right, have your Dad visit the site and nose around. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eowynmn
Supergirl

Hello Nurse!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2006 08:13:40 PM »

Depending on how old you are - it's a good thing that he cares.  I would say swapping should be reserved for 18+ for that reason (which has nothing to do with skill of younger people of course!)  There's just so many creeps out there that if I had a daughter who was a teenager...and especially if I was a dad I'd be worried too.

Try the "send to his work" solution.  That might be a good comprimise.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
yumminess
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2006 08:58:09 AM »

if i need to give an address to someone online I just give my dads work address. Smiley
pretty simple, and its practically the same as having it delivered to your door.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://sparkles11.etsy.com
Sparkles Jewellery
Berry Apple
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2006 09:24:02 AM »

Yep! Thanx for the ideas, I have to say that would never have occured to me! Will ask either on Wednesday when he gets back or on the phone today or tomorrow.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Berry Apple
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2006 12:41:25 PM »

He says he will have a chat with me about it (Uh Oh!) when he gets back. This means a long lecture about showing him the swaps I want to do, not telling anyone else the address I am using... etc etc.
His problem is also that we are gonna have to pay a lot, but I am sure I can look out for swaps that have people from the UK in. the PO box proved too expensive.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jp197012
JP

me on my wedding day

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2006 04:46:53 PM »

He says he will have a chat with me about it (Uh Oh!) when he gets back. This means a long lecture about showing him the swaps I want to do, not telling anyone else the address I am using... etc etc.
His problem is also that we are gonna have to pay a lot, but I am sure I can look out for swaps that have people from the UK in. the PO box proved too expensive.

as a parent of a 12yr old, I can understand and quite agree with his concerns  Wink   there are quite a few other people around here from across the pond, so chances are you'll be swapping in no time  Cheesy 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cats_pajamas
Certified Weirdo

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2006 12:58:22 PM »

i  was concerned about saftey when it comes to a swap. you will be giveing a stranger your adress. any way to feel safer about doing this?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftydame

i love glitter and glitter loves me.

hi craftster! i've missed you!!

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2006 01:15:49 PM »

people made some good suggestions on this thread when it was asked before - http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=107777.0;all

i honestly don't worry, but i think i have a different attitude about it. while, yes, there are scary people out there, it seems like a huge waste of their time to go to all the trouble to be eligible to swap just to get someone's address, when they could just pretend to be a teenager on a chat forum or something, like you read about in the news. i think craftster's pretty safe. obviously, if your address was being posted publicly somewhere, that would be a concern. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my crafty blog!

i like exclamation marks.
icebyrd67
hello beautiful world!

Where is the pony doctor?!

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2006 08:26:03 AM »

thats why i have a po box.  lame i know but i live at home with my parents (actually, i'm constantly moving in and out of the house...also a reason for the po box) and i'd rather not have people know my mum's address.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to learn all about me? http://icebyrd67.livejournal.com/
http://www.wists.com/icebyrd67

looking for personal swaps - i need decorative table numbers for my wedding. want to have a place in my wedding? More details in my profile. PM me!
teapotdnky
Tutorial Contributor

Obomaboe?

Craft or Die

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2006 08:31:59 AM »

Now I feel a tad creepy. I save addresses of people I've gotten to know here so I can send them random gifts. Am I creepy?  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

Guess who's back?
jaybirdiscrafty

Hi, it's been awhile!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2006 08:38:36 AM »

I do the same thing.  I have saved most of the addresses of people I have swapped with.  I have thought about sending small gifts, but don't want to appear CREEPY Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
icebyrd67
hello beautiful world!

Where is the pony doctor?!

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2006 08:46:32 AM »

i save addresses too but thats just ebcause i want to be able to remember who i've sent to incase my mail gets lost tot htem or if its an ongoing swap, i already have tehir details so i dont have to ask for it again.

i'd only send little gifties if i know the person really well after talking to them a whole bunch and such as they agree to it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to learn all about me? http://icebyrd67.livejournal.com/
http://www.wists.com/icebyrd67

looking for personal swaps - i need decorative table numbers for my wedding. want to have a place in my wedding? More details in my profile. PM me!
star69

Summer swappin' fever and writing inspiration!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2006 06:16:15 PM »

I have a P.O. Box too! ^^ It's not creepy. But then again, there are no mailmen willing to come to my street..XP
THIS ROCKS   Logged
flying_babyb
Monkey Queen

Monkey QUEEN

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2006 01:17:33 AM »

send to a freind. thaats what my best freind does. also you can use a fake first or last name with a real address and still get your mail. I get mail for E.R Trams all the time. (our downstairs neighbors assumed name)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006 01:42:34 AM by flying_babyb » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Monkey girl
stolendreams

I'm thinking we'll rise again

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2006 01:27:27 PM »

if you're worried about shipping costs, make sure you say on sign up that you'd prefer to send within the uk, or even that you can't afford to send internationally if that's the case.
I always put that I'd prefer to send within the uk, because international shipping is so expensive and although I can just about afford it I prefer to avoid it where possible
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/stolendreams

Formerly known as risingphoenix
Muria
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2006 04:01:03 AM »

The nice thing about swapping on craftster (you know, apart from the crafty goodness, and the amazing packages...) is that when you join a swap, only the organizer and your swap partner(s) get your address. Personally, I'm a bit leary of the pen pal list (and didn't join) because anyone wandering around on the site could write down my address, but only a few people see my address for swapping.

Would you have any relatives that would be interested in taking in your swap packages (like an aunt, maybe)?  You could also do the ongoing/formerly unconditional swaps, but it's fun to get packages too.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
trillian

One is never alone with a rubber duck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2006 11:29:17 AM »

I'm going to sound very naive... but I never even considered that there would be anything dangerous about giving out my address, especially on craftster. But I wouldn't give out my address on a Finnish site (I'm Finnish)... odd.

If I was a father of a 12 year old girl I definitely wouldn't let her give out her address. There are far too many weirdos out there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Discover 5 Breakfast Casseroles
How to Make Sausage and Cheddar Grits with Fried Eggs
How to Make an Easy Mac and Cheese
How to Cook Pork Chops With Roasted Apples and Onions
How to Cook Chicken with Broccoli Rice Bowl
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...