A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 300,911
Currently Running With Scissors:
410 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pinwheel Sweater for Children... KAL  (Read 12032 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

temptingpsydfx
« Reply #60 on: August 29, 2006 09:42:37 AM »

Thanks! I looked at your blog lastnight and realized: The provisional cast on has NOTHING to do with the stitches you are working on. For whatever reason, I thought I had to use the next 18 stitches (after the first set were put on a holder) and do something with those. Needless to say, I finally figured it out! And thanks to you because I wouldn't have figured it out without your pictures! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~Apple Jacks~*~
apixiegrl
« Reply #61 on: August 29, 2006 10:37:26 AM »

(^_^)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

temptingpsydfx
« Reply #62 on: August 29, 2006 12:59:24 PM »

Ok, another problem Sad

My numbers aren't matching up. Can someone help me figure this out?

On the row where there are 8 sections of 18 stitches and 8 yarn overs I have 152 stitches.

Then I start the row of the provisional cast on. When I do this row I am only getting rid of 150 stitches, leaving me with 2 stitches.

The pattern says to: "Knit the first set of 18 stitches and the yo from the round before, place the second set of 18 st on a holder, join a new ball of yarn and CO 18 sts using a provisisonal CO, join yarn and continue knitting 4 more sets of 18 sts plus the yo's from the previous round, slip the next set of 18 sts on a holder, join yarn and CO 18 sts, knit the last 18 st and yo from the previous round."

If I'm reading this correctly, it is 18 + 1 + 18 + 76  + 18 + 19=150

What am I doing wrong?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~Apple Jacks~*~
megaknits
mega(k)nits

do you like it?? i like it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: August 30, 2006 07:45:33 AM »

You need to YO before and after each of the provisional cast on sections. You're math includes the before, but not the after which should give you your 2 more stitches.

Helpful??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

temptingpsydfx
« Reply #64 on: August 30, 2006 09:43:13 AM »

Gotchya...I ended up doing a little creative math and made it work either way Wink

Now I'm at the purl/knit sections. I haven't decided if I'm going to do the I cord for the edging though. We aren't sure if we are having a boy or girl yet. But I think that the loop edging won't look right on a boy. Any suggestions on what I could do for an edging if I don't do the loop?

Here's what I have so far:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~Apple Jacks~*~
soozeq
« Reply #65 on: August 30, 2006 10:03:14 AM »

Why not just leave it in garter with a plain bind off?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
megaknits
mega(k)nits

do you like it?? i like it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2006 08:01:51 AM »

I agree with soozeq. If you end up having a girl, you could always crochet a similar edging on. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

temptingpsydfx
« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2006 10:00:51 AM »

I think that's what I will do. Most of the edgings I thought of are too frilly for a boy. And I don't need to embarass him more than I normally would, LOL. I'd love to get this ultrasound done before I finish, but I'm already nearly done with the garter stitch. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~Apple Jacks~*~
sittenknitten
« Reply #68 on: September 01, 2006 07:26:48 AM »

I am starting one of these, using the new Patons SWS. Should be interesting to see how the stripes work out in the round  Grin. The gauge is slightly off (on the label, anyway), I'll be swatching today to see if I can easily fix it by going up or down a needle size.

Off to review apixiegrl's blog...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sittenknitten
sittenknitten
« Reply #69 on: September 02, 2006 09:23:13 AM »

Thanks to assistance from this thread and apixiegrl's blog, I have successfully negotiated the armholes  Grin. This IS a quick knit so far, and just as addictive as previously mentioned. Just one more time around...

I wonder if the armhole confusion comes from the paragraph describing how to do the provisional cast-on, quoted below:

"Provisional cast on:

Using a crochet hook, a knitting needle, and a contrasting colour yarn, make a slip knot.
Put the crochet hook through the slip knot and hold in front of needle.
Bring yarn around the needle, from left over top of needle behind the needle then over the hook and make a stitch (the yarn around the needle is the stitch).
Repeat this until 18 stitches on the needle.
Slip these stitches onto the stitch holder.
These stitches will become the stitches for the other half of the armhole when needed."

(...the bold emphasis is mine) This threw me for a loop at first: the stitches do NOT go on the stitch holder, they stay on the needle and you knit them with your regular yarn the next time around.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sittenknitten
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Halloween Candy Shortbread Bars
Chilled Lemon Soufflé Recipe
How to Make an Easy Chocolate Doughnut Glaze
4 Fall Treats & Cocktails That Are Easy To Make At Home
Double Chocolate Tiramisu Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...