A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 299,158
Currently Running With Scissors:
466 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Reliable sewing machine - recommendations?  (Read 743 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KnitChick1979
Antauri Fangirl

Going ghost!

View Profile WWW
« on: July 16, 2006 12:30:36 AM »

Okay, just dreaming, but I would REALLY love to get a new sewing machine.  Right now my mom and I share a Singer she got new when I was in high school when her old machine finally bit the bullet.  That machine (I want to say it was a Sears) was wonderful, solid metal and reliable until it was like 30 years old!  The Singer...well it's had tension issues from early on.  I hardly use it because I never have the time or inclanation to fiddle with the tension.

So, I ask, what's a good brand to aim for?  My ex boyfriend's mom got a Brother but then we broke up before I could find out if she liked it.

Thanks in advance!

Mary Jo
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Mind over matter is nothing compared to hands-free refreshment!" ~Antauri

Help in the race to beat Alzheimer's!

Information for swap partners
patchworkarmy

Goin where the water tastes like wine...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2006 07:01:34 AM »

I love my pfaff.  It's rock solid, and it can sew through anything!  At first, the dealer got me to purchase a Babylock Decorator's choice.  A computerized machine with tons of dazzle-you features and it looks really cool.  But when I got it home and tried to sew through only 2 layers of LIGHT weight corduroy, it just did NOT perform.  I suspect that this machine is great if you only sew callico fabrics.  For the rest of your life!  Which is not me by any means.  Back to the drawing board. Luckily, the dealer I bought from has an exchange policy and a trade-up policy.  (I actually traded down, but they were accomodating)
  After some more research, I decided on the Pfaff. It is like a professional machine- doesn't look very cool, not computerized, it doesn't even have a top drop in bobbin. But it ROCKS!  It sews through anything I put in front of it, and the all-the-time-built-in-waling-foot is a MUST!  Couldn't live without it!  (can you tell I'm excited?)
  What machine to buy depends largly on the type of sewing you do.  Research the machines and their performance while doing the tasks you'll be doing the most. This site is helpfull: 
http://sewing.patternreview.com/

good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stefferoni
cinderelly cinderelly

mini me

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006 08:58:54 PM »

i would get a pfaff, too, if my favorite brother goes kaput on me, i've heard nothing but good things about them!  Grin  i have a brother XL 6452, i got (i think) 5+ years ago..i LOVE it!  with a size 16 or 18 needle, it sews through cords, canvas, etc up to a 1/4 layer of material-my macho workhorse. Grin  i also have an SE 270D (walmart version of the brother PE machines)..it embroiders like a dream..but it's crap sewing anything thick (like going over a seam  Roll Eyes ), i got an industrial this year for valentine's day..but i still don't use it as much as i do the XL.  i heard the janome machines are good, too..and if you get lucky enough to get those singer machines they use at sewing schools, they're pretty good, too..my bestfriend's mom has one..and that baby does well, too.

good luck in your..quest.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

will do personal swaps, please.  i have tons of fabrics..you have?? wanna trade?

www.mangojellie.etsy.com

"This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again how sheep's bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes."
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Strawberry Steak Salad - Valentines Day Edition
How to Make Beef Muffins
She Crab Soup Recipe
Bacon Explosion Recipe
Spiced Nuts
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...