A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,718
Currently Running With Scissors:
856 Guests and 37 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hard Bottom Inserts  (Read 9431 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Shyx
« on: July 16, 2006 12:10:49 AM »

I'm just interested to see what people use for their hard bottom inserts and where they get them from

eg cardboard from recycled boxes etc
THIS ROCKS   Logged
blackbags
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2006 07:14:55 AM »

I actually use corrugated plastic. I use a spray adhesive and adhere it to the inside of the exterior before placing the lining in. The insert is permanently adhered and sandwiched within the bag itself. All my bags are able to stand on their own with this method. Good luck experimenting.

Sample:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People rarely succeed unless they have fun in what they are doing". - Dale Carnegie
Sophisticated Hippie
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2006 05:31:35 PM »

I've used plastic canvas and either covered it with lining to be removed or attached it to the seam allowance before applying the lining.  Not very creative but easy to find and easy to cut to shape.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. ~Benjamin Franklin
ataurusgirl
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006 06:03:25 AM »

I've used cardboard from a cereal box and covered it with fabric that matches the inside of the purse or bag. I like to make mine removable in case it gets dirty or I spill a drink in it, then I can just make another one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Daisygirl

2 kids, 2 cats, 2 birds...why didn't I get 2 men?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006 08:27:25 AM »

I use plastic canvas but I've been meaning to look for the corrorgated plastic because it sounds cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Lilipad
Check out www.lilipadcreations.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006 08:30:55 AM »

If you permanantly adhere it to the bottom of the lining how do you finish the top of your bag?? I am still trying to perfect the best way to put in a bottom. Anyone, please help!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

".....funky handmade treasures for the haute mama and baby with discriminating taste!!"
Sophisticated Hippie
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006 04:00:06 PM »

If you permanently adhere it to the bottom of the lining how do you finish the top of your bag?? I am still trying to perfect the best way to put in a bottom. Anyone, please help!!

Depending on the purse I have two ways of attaching the hard bottom insert.
1.  When I apply the lining I will leave part of either the side seam or bottom seam open (much like you would the sleeve lining in a jacket).  I always cover the hard bottom with lining fabric.  I will then insert the hard bottom through the portion of the open seam and tack it in place at the seam allowances of the fashion fabric.  I will also tack the lining to the seam allowance of the fashion fabric so it doesnt pull out when contents are taken out of the purse.  Once everything is tacked in place I go back and close up the portion of the side seam left open.  I usually do this my machine mostly because I dont like hand sewing ;-).
2.  The other way I will attach the hard bottom is by using snaps.  I will put 2-4 snaps on the covered bottom insert.  I put the other 2-4 snap pieces on the lining.  This way it stays in place but can be removed if needed for cleaning.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. ~Benjamin Franklin
stacysews
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2006 04:44:18 PM »

I use plastic canvas too.  But I have seen premade plastic inserts (very sturdy) for purses.  I've contemplated buying one for a purse that I'd get a lot of use out of, but I change bags so often, I'm not sure that it's worth it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sophisticated Hippie
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2006 12:47:25 AM »

I use plastic canvas too.  But I have seen premade plastic inserts (very sturdy) for purses.  I've contemplated buying one for a purse that I'd get a lot of use out of, but I change bags so often, I'm not sure that it's worth it.
Do you remember where you saw the pre-made inserts or where a person can get the corrugated plastic.  I've seen it used for US postal crates but I doubt I could purchase them from USPS, lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stacysews
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2006 06:06:28 AM »

They are called Bag E Bottoms:

http://lazygirldesigns.com/bag-e-bottoms.php

I know that you can get them on the (above) website and some other online retailers.  I had seen some in (of all places) several local quilt shops. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Green Playdough
How to Make Purple Playdough
How to Make Orange Playdough
How to Make Pink Playdough
How to Make Black Playdough
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...