A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,124
Currently Running With Scissors:
630 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pretty way to display war medals?  (Read 463 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pinkmissmarilyn
« on: July 15, 2006 07:44:36 PM »

Hi guys!

I have these three great medals that were passed down through my family. My grandmother gave them to me because she knows I'm a sucker for this sort of thing. Two of them are medals two of her brothrers won in WWII
and the other is a Confederate Medal of Honor from the Civil War!

I want to hang them or display them in my room some how, but not sure quite what to do..

The first two are pin backs on the cloth part and the third is a sort of screw onto a pin in the back...
if I could find my camera, i would post photos to give you a better idea.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

(P.S....got around to uploading photos)

{the three medals, beautifully displayed on my lovely wal-mart bedding}

{this is how the first two attach}

{and you can see the difficuly of the third, as it attaches quite different}
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006 07:56:20 PM by pinkmissmarilyn » THIS ROCKS   Logged

femmeraven
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006 09:03:59 AM »

You can go the shadow box route, or you could put them on some type of backing and frame them. 

Here's what I did recently with some antique jewelry. 

I had some 5x7 frames without the glass but with the backboard.  I had some velvety fabric, that I got in the remnant bin at Walmart, that I glued with craft glue to the backboards.  Then I layed the jewelry on the covered backboard and arranged them til I got the look I liked. 

If the jewelry had a pin or backing I just poked it through the backboard if it was strong enough.  If it wasn't I used wire that was the same color as the piece of jewelry and wired it to the backboard.  Anything I couldn't wire or poke through I glued with craft glue.

I have to say it is one of the projects I did that I think turned out the best.

I think you could easily wire the two with the side pins, but I can't really make out the last one very well, I guess it's the screw on.  If you could attach the whole thing, I don't think seeing that bar thing that gets screwed on would detract from the overall appearance of the medal at all.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
doeayes
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006 09:32:24 AM »

i would suggest a shadow box of sorts to keep dust and tiny little livestock out.  are they army, or any othe specific armed force?  you might find a shadow box related to that.  just google shadow box or go to Michaels, Hobby Lobby, etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinkmissmarilyn
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006 11:39:45 PM »

Thanks for the ideas. I have looked all over for a pretty shadow box to put them in and can't find ANY. I really like the photo frame idea, it sounds like something I could manage.

I'm such a history nerd though, and they fit in so perfectly with the colors and theme of my room. Its a shame to tuck them away in a trinket box you know?

As far as displaying them on something pertaining to the medal itself....one says "American Campaign 1941 1945" I think it belonged to my Uncle Robert so it is probably something from the Navy and the other says "Freedom from fear and want. Freedom of speech and religion. WWII"

I have a great idea for the Confederate Medal. I have some confederate currency somewhere that belonged to my family generations ago (I'm from Alabama. Go figure) that I would love to display as a background behind the medal if i could find it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

femmeraven
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006 09:06:11 AM »

If you could find that money I think it would add a real neat element to the display. 
You could also look on the net for old pictures from around those days, like an old war bond advertisement or some military poster dated from that era.   You could save the image and shrink it down to fit the back of what you are going to put the medals on and then just print it out. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sarah Jessica Parker Mixes Prints Like a Pro With Checks and Polka Dots
Street Chic: Winter 2013 London Fashion Trends
Oscar Party Fashion: Jennifer Lawrence and Nina Dobrev Celebrate in Style
2013 Oscars Fashion
Star Crush: Chic, Stylish, Effortless Charlize Theron
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...