A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 300,953
Currently Running With Scissors:
713 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Decorating a studio apartment  (Read 1015 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dramakitty
« on: March 24, 2006 06:15:39 PM »

So I'm moving into a studio style apartment in about a month or so and I want to decorate it since I never got to decorating my current apartment.  One major problem that I'll have is that I'm moving to a space about half the size of my current space.  This means I need to think of ways for things to be small storage while at the same times being decoration (if that makes sense).  I have already thought to hang baskets from the ceiling for storage (my ceiling will be the kind where you can see all the pipes which gives an excellent opportunity to hang things from the pipes).  I can't paint the walls.  I'd like to still think of a nice way to cover the walls and the floor (which is bare cement) that might have an underwater theme to it.  I also want to think of a way to cover the "doorway" to my bedroom since there is no actual door there, but since I am only renting an apartment, the only thing I can think of to do is make some sort of beady thing to hang down (but I don't want to do that because my cats will think it is a fun toy).  Any suggestions?
Edit: I guess I should clarify that I'm going to try to have an underwater theme for the whole apartment!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006 06:40:57 PM by dramakitty » THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Peace|Love|Drama-
.:Sprigged:.

100% Britmerican

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006 03:12:51 PM »

Me too!

Ideas for you:

-Maybe one of those bubbly shower curtains, or a fabric curtain to act as your "door"? It could be held up with a tension rod.
-For the walls, you can starch fabric on, and maybe paint underwater designs on the fabric (before they go on the wall- no seeping ! Shocked)
-For the floor, could you get a big rug or thing of canvas, and decorate it with sharpies, etc?

In terms of storage, I am at a loss.  Sad Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mllejessy
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006 03:15:13 PM »

Can you get/make cute shelves for the walls?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stereoette
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006 03:31:24 PM »

i live in a studio too!

for a living room table, my mother bought me a sort of piratey looking trunk, which I adore. I keep all my linens and a ton of craft stuff in it, but it has a flat top so I can put things on it, use it as a eating table, etc. I think something similar and "piratey" would be great for an underwater theme!

as for my "bedroom" - my studio is L shaped, and I have a tall (8ft?) bookshelf separating the little leg of the L from the big leg. its a neutral color so the place doesnt look clustered. i thought about hanging a curtain to do the same effect but i have allergies (ah-choo!) and thought that might require too much washing/maintenance.

good luck decorating! i can give you other studio ideas if you want, my mom and i are full of them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.stereoette.com

handmade with my headphones on
gingerpeachy
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Will swap for heart-shaped buttons

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006 08:19:36 AM »

Check out ikea.com... they have massive amounts of storage stuff.  If you don't want to buy stuff from there, it's great for inspiration.  If you're handy with a hammer, or know someone who is, you could build little cabinets, shelves, etc. to make the most out of your space. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Formerly known as Sinellia.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cook Tandoori Style Chicken
How to Prepare Tandoori Style Chicken
How to Make Butter Chicken
How to Cook the Spinach and Finish the Palak Paneer
How to Cut and Pan Fry Paneer Cheese
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...