A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: It's time to vote for your favorite swapped project! Smiley  Vote now through Sunday, August 30th!
Total Members: 302,672
Currently Running With Scissors:
671 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Jacket  (Read 1920 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

designer_92

Ready for the runway

View Profile
« on: July 15, 2006 12:23:12 PM »

http://s85.photobucket.com/albums/k48/hannah_montana92/?action=view&current=miley-cyrus_dot_com_hannahmontan-4.jpg&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch18

I really like this jacket.. but i have no clue how to make it (i'm kinda new to this.. LOL). can someone please help me?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm gonna be the next BIG american designer...
craftypixie

opinions were like kittins, I was giving them away

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006 10:01:09 PM »

it's just that little shrug thing over the sequined top it looks like, right?

you could find a shirt pattern similar to it and just shorten it up
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*knitasaurous

OMG.A giant sheet of styrofoam is going to eat me!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006 05:53:02 PM »

What I would do is find a cheap khaki jean jacket type thing at a thrift store and cut it off at the right length and  embellish as you please..........but that's the lazy way. Oh well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bad podcaster, no cookie!

knitasaurous= the knitting dinosaur that will eat you for calling it a grandma
CraftyCoug

Croquet at Molbaks

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006 06:33:22 PM »

Alright, I looked around a couple of days ago for good patterns for this jacket and my internet keeps crashing, so this time I'm going to make it work! 

The pattern I found that has a good collar is:  http://www.mccallpattern.com/item/M4385.htm?tab=jackets_coats&page=3  I think other than the collar being similar to Hannah's it has nothing going for it... but hey, you take what you can get, right?  So, what you need to do w/ this pattern is use the collar part and the body, but make the body extremely short.  I would recommend either just holding the pattern pieces up to yourself and deciding how long you want to make it or make it out of something cheap and make it how you would like. 

As for the sleeves.  Try this pattern for the lower half:  http://www.mccallpattern.com/item/M5093.htm?tab=jackets_coats&page=1  I thought this one might actually be desirable.  What you want to do with this one is use the part of the sleeve that isn't puffed.  So figure out how long the puffed part will be and don't use that portion of this sleeve pattern.  I recommend not cutting the pattern piece so you can use it again if you want to - maybe make a new piece out of butcher paper or tissue so you can cut on lines.  Plus you might need a pattern to go from to make the puffed part.
For the puffed part of the sleeves, I found this link on a craftster thread:  http://www.vintagesewing.info/1940s/42-mpd/mpd-04.html#puffed  If you scroll down to where it says "Various Types of Short Puffed Sleeves" I think the 3rd one down after the writing looks closest.  That site has a lot of info, so don't get too discouraged because I think it is pretty helpful, though I haven't used any of them. 

When I'm looking for something to imitate I just go through pattern books at the fabric store or (like in this case) go to their websites and see what I can find.  They'll probably be cheaper at Jo Ann's when they have a sale.  Let me know if you have any questions, hope I can help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm down w/ a personal swap now and then!  PM me!

www.craftycougknits.blogspot.com
designer_92

Ready for the runway

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006 08:41:42 AM »

thank you so much. the second pattern i found at a store and was going to buy it, but it was like 15 dollars. the collar one was really good. thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AndRead
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006 05:57:03 PM »

I just bought this Very Easy Vogue pattern myself -- when I saw your post, I thought it might fit the bill. The bodice is a little longer than the one you pictured,  but the collar is very similar and it has the same feel:
http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin/voguepatterns/shop.cgi?s.item.V8299=x&TI=20019&page=1
THIS ROCKS   Logged
designer_92

Ready for the runway

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2006 06:18:02 AM »

thats a cute one. i have to go find that too! thanks  Smiley!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Urban Outfitters Says ‘Bloody’ Kent State Sweatshirt Was “Vintage”
Best Fall Jackets
Tips For Tweaking Your Wardrobe For A Quick Fall Fashion Update
Back to School Lookbook
Outfit Ideas and Beauty Looks to Try This Fall
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Paint Cans
August 26, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Flannel Hoodie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...