A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,174
Currently Running With Scissors:
621 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Lionbrand baby booties  (Read 465 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rachelo
« on: July 15, 2006 08:07:45 AM »

http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/kwc-babyBooties.html?noImages=0

I can't figure out what size needles to make this with.  Am I missing it completely?  I understand gauge is important, but do I really have to try every needle I own to figure out which needles to start with?

Thankyousomuch (in advance),

R
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shellim4
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006 08:17:58 AM »

In the needed materials section, where it shows how much things cost, it says size 5 needles. It is the 3rd item down. The first 2 is the yarn.
Shelli
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rachelo
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2006 09:42:48 AM »

In the needed materials section, where it shows how much things cost, it says size 5 needles. It is the 3rd item down. The first 2 is the yarn.
Shelli

Now I really feel stupid.
Thank you, Shelli!
 Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rachelo
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2006 10:38:56 AM »

I see that SM means to slip marker.  Lionbrand says that this means, "It means to slide the stitch marker from one needle to another as it comes up to the working needle." 

However is that just a slip?  Do I knit the stitch at all?  Do I just move the loop from the left needle to the right needle, doing nothing else to the yarn?   Huh Huh Huh  knittinghelp.com doesn't use this abbreviation at all!

Thanks again for answering silly, dumb questions!
Rachel
THIS ROCKS   Logged
trisarahtop
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2006 10:48:09 AM »

You don't knit a stitch marker. A stitch marker is a loop, usually of plastic or metal, that you use to separate some of your stitches from some of your other stitches. It's just there so you know where you are on the piece, and you slide it with your knitting and from needle to needle. Do NOT knit it (although it would probably be hard to do anyway).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I just have a few words: nitwit, blubber, oddment, tweak.
shellim4
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2006 10:52:44 AM »

I just looked at the PDF version that you can download and it has the needle size listed. I don't know why they didn't list it on the initial page. Nothing like making you search!
No reason to feel stupid.  Wink
Let us know how they turn out. Hope to see a picture! I downloaded this pattern too.
Shelli
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rachelo
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2006 11:13:44 AM »

You don't knit a stitch marker. A stitch marker is a loop, usually of plastic or metal, that you use to separate some of your stitches from some of your other stitches. It's just there so you know where you are on the piece, and you slide it with your knitting and from needle to needle. Do NOT knit it (although it would probably be hard to do anyway).

The problem with the pattern is that they have PM = place marker and SM = slip marker.  I assume they're different since they're both in the pattern!  I have a feeling that the SM somehow is to slip the stitch, but it's weird, and I'm not sure!

Thankyou Lionbrand for labeling this "easy'!   Tongue

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kerry Berry
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2006 11:35:40 AM »

PM means you put a marker in a new place on the work.  A lot of times when you first start a piece, it'll tell you to PM, meaning you introduce a marker into the work (usually to mark the end of a round).  SM means you keep the marker where it is in terms of where the stitches, increases/decreases, and patterns are; it's just a way of keeping track of where you are.  SM has nothing to do with a stitch; the pattern should give directions up to the last stitch before the marker, then it'll tell you to SM, meaning you transfer the marker from the left needle to the right, and then it should give instructions for all of the stitches after the marker. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

trisarahtop
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2006 12:13:39 PM »

The problem with the pattern is that they have PM = place marker and SM = slip marker.  I assume they're different since they're both in the pattern!  I have a feeling that the SM somehow is to slip the stitch, but it's weird, and I'm not sure!

In a knitting pattern, if they want you to slip a stitch, it will tell you to slip a stitch using an abbreviations like sl, sl1k/sl1p, sl st, or ss. The abbreviated "m" can mean a few things, but in a pattern it pretty much always means marker, and a marker is never a stitch. SM has nothing to do with a stitch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I just have a few words: nitwit, blubber, oddment, tweak.
rachelo
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2006 10:21:36 AM »

Thank you so much!  I decided to just wing it yesterday with the SM and it seemed to work (I did decide to just move the marker which turned out to be right!).

Yay!
Thanks!
 Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Beauty Test Lab: The Temporary Hair Color of Your Dreams
Beauty Test Lab: Shu Eyelash Curler
Beauty Test Lab: Sephora Instant Depuffing Eye Mask
A Beyond-Easy Way To Create Your Own Custom Lip Color
Beauty Test Lab: Gwen Stefani Nails
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...