A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,507
Currently Running With Scissors:
465 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crafts for Blythe, BJDs and other non-toy toys?  (Read 16098 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2007 06:59:02 PM »

I love that fabric, groschveux.  Both outfits are lovely.

As much as I love my Blythe (and making stuff for her) I'm just not sure it's appropriate to commit what amounts to extortion to gain a board solely for them.  As much as I am an adult, my making stuff for, dressing up and photographing my Blythe is still playing, and even though she's a "collector's doll", I AM playing with her, and she IS a toy.  Even not speaking from my capacity as a mod, I think it's a little misdirected to play a 'let's do something we shouldn't do until they give us what we want' card.  There's a board for showing off your Blythe creations.  It's the toys and playthings board.  As soon as I get pics of my newest things, that's where I'll be posting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
Lylyfai

Multi-Crafter!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: May 11, 2007 09:25:35 PM »

I'm just not sure it's appropriate to commit what amounts to extortion to gain a board solely for them.

Quite harsh to call it extortion. I don't think the outfits I make for my girls qualify as accessories actually....it is closer to dressmaking on a tiny level. And the projects I do for my girls could be put on several boards. I knit for my girls. I sew for my girls. I have done reconstruction for my dolls. I have made jewelry for my dolls. I have done extensive embroidery work for my girls. So what if it is for a doll. I hate to say it, but it is a little more complex than making a misshapen stuffie out of a sock. So what if it only pulls a total of 3 pages on the search. It is different. And there are many other search terms to use besides "Blythe" or "BJD" there are also Pullips and other (I got more like 16 when I did a search..and all were relevant). It could also include clothes for Barbies (as much as I dislike the other B doll LOL). Besides...it really doesn't  use any more resources to add another board...or even a child board. If it makes it easier for the user (i.e. us...the ones who are asking for it) then I would think any administrator would want that. Besides, if you notice something that I just saw...most of the folks asking for it have FOC by their name.....
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007 09:37:04 PM by Lylyfai » THIS ROCKS   Logged

145 dependents and counting=
139 dolls, 3 cats, 1 lost Hubby & Roland!
Preppin' for Ro's 3rd Bday- theme=Helicoptors!
http://www.adoptionsbygladney.com (Thank you!)
batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

« Reply #62 on: May 11, 2007 10:22:24 PM »

In ALL of the boards there are a wide range of skills. Just because one person may make a "misshapen stuffy out of a sock" and another an amazing tiny dress (or an amazingly crafted sock monkey, for that matter) doesn't mean they don't both belong on the same board. Dolls are right in the name : "Toys, Dolls, and Playthings".

You could start a "show off your Blythe and other collector doll clothes here" or some such if you want a variety of items together. The search function works really well though, and unfortunately a board for every single permutation of crafting just isn't possible.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2007 08:31:56 AM »

Keep in mind, I'm talking as a member here, not as a mod.  It IS extortion to say that your new plan is just to post pictures in this thread here until they give you a board you want.  It isn't harsh, it's true.  This isn't the right place to post pictures of your Blythe or Pullip or BJD or whatever else creations.  If you do a wide variety of things, you have a choice of a wide variety of boards on which to post.  Just like knitting a dress for someone for a baby shower.  It's up to you if you post it in knitting or on the baby shower board, and it depends a little on which part of the item you want most to be discussed, that it is a gift for a baby or that it is a knitted item.  The same is true for making doll clothes.  If you want people to comment most on your amazing tiny knitting skills, feel free to post said item in knitting.  If you would like most to discuss your items with other doll owners, you can post on the Toys, Dolls and Playthings board. 

I understand the desire to make things easier for users.  But please remember that it isn't just users who need to be considered.  Making things easier for admin, for the mods and for the overall good of the database itself is also something to keep in mind.  The more boards there are, the more unwieldy things become for those who have to manage and maintain it.  It is best to find a common ground; a good compromise between the list of boards that offers users the selection the want while still making the running of Craftster as smooth and useful as possible. 

In the past, additional boards have not been added until it has been seen that there is an overwhelming need for them for the sake of organization, and even then it is not done lightly, from a strictly admin point of view, and I think that is exceptional, considering the balance Leah must strike between pleasing Craftster's users without making a forum which is so splintered it becomes more difficult rather than easier to use.  I personally have often felt, from a member's point of view rather than a mod's point of view, that users who request a rather specialized board (as has been seen when folks ask for boards just for loom knitting, for example) are losing sight of the overall good of Craftster.  That is not meant as an insult, just as a personal observation and opinion.

To me, it would seem that there is already a good place to post Blythe clothing and accessories.  I consider it a duty as a Craftster to make my post titles and body text as informative as possible so that Craftster's search function as useful as possible.  The search function is there for the purpose of further distilling the main boards into specialties.  I would prefer it stay that way rather than distilling out all the main boards into child boards and more child boards for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that lots of little specialty boards would make members lazy in their posting, effectively rendering the search function useless.

Also it is important to keep in mind that Craftster is always evolving and there may be projects planned for future ease of use.  Craftster members should keep in mind that they may not know all the ways in which admin plans on making Craftster better and easier to use, and that this knowledge of course plays a part in whether they decide to add boards or not.  As a member I have the utmost faith in admin that they will ultimately do what is best for Craftster, including making choices that upset some members.  They have not yet disappointed me.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2007 08:37:52 AM by Lothruin » THIS ROCKS   Logged

knit_north
« Reply #64 on: May 12, 2007 09:54:19 AM »

boy. by no means is this topic meant as extortion just to suggest a new board
my sincere apologies - feels like we've upset some mods - we [heart] the mods

would i like an craft/accessory board for dolls? yes .... if it isn't feasible well ok i understand. i don't think it is unreasonable to show our support of this idea tho. more than anything this topic is to gauge if there is interest in this idea - is there enough people to justify this idea? does this make sense for craftster? well those questions are for the mods and leah to answer.  Smiley we're just showing there is interest.

and hey its good to talk! this conversation has made me re-think the toy, doll, playthings board - i always felt kinda wrong posting my doll crafts there, as i felt it was for people who MAKE dolls and toys, not silly little sweaters for my manufactured doll. i've posted on the knitting board but that didn't seem fit either (so i mainly put my blythe items on my blog rather than on craftster).

i think what i'm (and if i can speak for others: we are) after is a place to gather. a place to see what other craftsters are making for their dolls, tuts ranging from making socks to foiling/painting eye-chips for our dollies. but i think from reading/meditating on this topic perhaps it can be done in a grass roots way. a monthly/weekly post to show and discuss what we've been up craft wise for our "non-toys"

anyway thats just my two cents ... feel free to toss 'em!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jMi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: May 12, 2007 10:51:03 AM »

I don't think anyone should have to second guess posting their dolls in the Toys forum-- they are toys, even if they aren't played with as such. Smiley
Like someone said previously, barbies and such don't have their own subforum because they're already in the forum they belong in.
We really could seperate clothes into "SHIRTS" "PANTS" "SKIRTS" "DRESSES" but there isnt a need right now because they're already where they belong Wink

But I think it's great that everyone is coming together to voice their opinion on the issue!
You could always make a thread for accessories in the forum and then the mod can sticky it for you Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://lifeadored.blogspot.com/
Getting back into crafting! Follow along with me on my blog and see what I come up with! Smiley
Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

« Reply #66 on: May 12, 2007 11:01:50 AM »

I think if there were something like a Fiber Friday for dolls in the T, D & P board, that'd be very nice for those who want to gather together every so often.  I also think that if anyone wants to just post a thread of their own to show off a number of their own pieces, etc., just remembering to put "blythe" or whatever in the post title would be perfect.

I understand that this topic was more to just bring the desire to the attention of mods (or more to the point, admin) and see if there was enough support to consider it.  I mostly wanted to point out that it isn't always just the level of desire of users that is the biggest consideration for adding a new board, but whether it makes sense for the database and overall structure of Craftster. 

What upset me most was this:
I agree - maybe that should be our tactic
we should show off all the great things we craft for our dolls to prove we need a board!

I can see that this was meant more innocently than it was taken, but it bothers me that it was intentionally manipulative ('our tactic') and in full knowledge of the fact that the suggestions board is most certainly NOT the place for setting up a share-your-stuff thread even if you aren't sure where IS the right place.  What it amounted to for me was deciding to break the rules on purpose until management relented.  I really disliked that direction.  I found it insulting as a member and extremely irritating as a mod.  No offense, or anything.  That is just how I interpreted it, and that interpretation colored my previous posts.

But once again, I'm speaking from the perspective of a member here.  And an owner of a Blythe for whom I'm really enjoying creating all sorts of nifty things.  I have no say over new boards.  I'm the knitting mod.  The organizational structure of Craftster has nothing to do with me.  The fact that I'm upset by some of the things in this thread has no bearing on my being a mod, nor does my being a mod put more importance on how I feel about it.  I am, first and foremost, a member, have been for more than 3 years, and with regard to issues like this, it is my membership and not my modhood that is more important.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ConcreteJungler
« Reply #67 on: May 12, 2007 11:02:14 AM »

boy. by no means is this topic meant as extortion just to suggest a new board
my sincere apologies - feels like we've upset some mods - we [heart] the mods

would i like an craft/accessory board for dolls? yes .... if it isn't feasible well ok i understand. i don't think it is unreasonable to show our support of this idea tho. more than anything this topic is to gauge if there is interest in this idea - is there enough people to justify this idea? does this make sense for craftster? well those questions are for the mods and leah to answer.  Smiley we're just showing there is interest.

i think what i'm (and if i can speak for others: we are) after is a place to gather. a place to see what other craftsters are making for their dolls, tuts ranging from making socks to foiling/painting eye-chips for our dollies. but i think from reading/meditating on this topic perhaps it can be done in a grass roots way. a monthly/weekly post to show and discuss what we've been up craft wise for our "non-toys"

anyway thats just my two cents ... feel free to toss 'em!

I agree with everything knit_north has already said.  I apologize if this has been construed as extortion because that was not the intent.  The reason we kept posting here was to provide a cohesive location for doll-related crafts, the reason for the request for a child board in the first place.  The original post is almost a year old, I think, but the interest has remained constant, without any input from moderators or admin.

If the final decision of the powers-that-be is "too bad," than of course we'll abide by that and we can hopefully try to find a different solution. 

However, I would just like to know if the possibility of a child board (which I had hoped would be similar to the "Projects from Stitch 'n Bitch" boards which are a mishmash of related discussion, FOs, and ideas) is even being considered or whether these moderators comments are a full and complete "no"?

And for the record, I understand that the mods have more than enough to deal with without having to add to their burden with yet another board or hostile thread.  We do love you hardworking folk, we do, we do, we do.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Star217
« Reply #68 on: May 12, 2007 11:06:28 AM »

I am sorry for breaking the rules. I had no idea that what was being done was in violation of the post in question, but ignorance is no excuse. I think the idea of a "fiber friday" type post for blythes is a great idea. And I am sorry for any trouble or irritation my posts may have caused.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Unable to leave good enough alone!
My Store
http://stickyfingers.etsy.com

My Blog
http://stickyfingerscrafts.blogspot.com
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 12, 2007 11:58:28 AM »

Wow, guys!  Some of you are quite passionate and lengthy posters! Cheesy

We (moderators and Leah) are aware of this and all threads on this board.  No decisions have been made in any direction.

Please, though, for the sake of Leah & I reviewing the thread for facts and suggestions, try to keep your sharing of photos to a minimum.  If you've already expressed your position, move on and keep crafting. Grin

If we implement an idea, we'll post about it here as soon as it's done and you'll be one of the first to know, I promise! Smiley
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008 08:38:49 AM by sweets4ever » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Macromedia Flash 8 - Applying and Transforming Gradients
Macromedia Flash 8 - Adjusting Cap, Join and Other Stroke Properties
Macromedia Flash 8 - Applying and Stylizing Strokes
Macromedia Flash 8 - Using the Color Swatches Palette
Macromedia Flash 8 - Creating Transparency and Sampling Colors
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...