A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,384
Currently Running With Scissors:
619 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crafts for Blythe, BJDs and other non-toy toys?  (Read 18109 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ConcreteJungler
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2007 10:00:55 AM »

I agree, they would be considered to be a type of toy and can go on the toy board.

in order to allow for people to easily find all posts about Blythes, BJDs, etc, just put "Blythe" (or the appropriate label) somewhere in the title.  that way searching for "Blythe" will turn up all the threads.

I agree that they are in fact toys.  However the Toys board is geared towards making toys.  This topic concerns making things for toys and I believe there is a big difference. 

There is a lot of cross-pollination between the different kinds of dolls.  Some BJD patterns work for Blythe and some Blythe patterns may work for Barbie.

The common convention in BJD communities is to identify their doll by model name and possibly maker.  Not as a "BJD."  Some Barbie people go by their doll model name as well, as do Blythe people, Momoko people, Azone people, Volks 1/6 people, etc. etc.  It would be extremely difficult to be be forced to sift through literally hundreds of different doll names to find the projects that interest me most. 

Having one centralized location, even a sub-board where they can all be thrown together like the embroidery board or the felting board, would be fantastic.  Oh man, picture the little Craftster swag shirts!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007 10:31:46 AM by ConcreteJungler » THIS ROCKS   Logged
vanillaxlight
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2007 10:11:02 AM »

Felting as in taking wool and needling it or wetting it into shape, or felt as in craft felt? And as to where to post it, no it would not go in all of those categories. It would go in the category you feel is the predominant part of the obkject, which would likely be crochet.

We're just trying to reason out why there would possibly not be a blythe or "non toy" board. Theres no need to be upset, or anything! Grin It's just nice to have all perspectives when trying to determine whether or not there is need for a board.

A lot of you already know there is a new system in the works which will make it easier to search for something based on a series of associated tags. I think this system will be really useful for people who want to find "non toys" and it won't take all the resources that making a new board would. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm no longer a moderator, but I will always love June 2005 - October 2008

http://robotsinagrid.com
knit_north
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2007 10:19:05 AM »

Everything you could make for a blythe already has a place on Craftster.  Cheesy
yes ..... but it is all over the place
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2007 10:28:10 AM »

Whoops!  Forgot the eye candy.  Here a hat I made as a gift:

It has crochet, embroidery, felting and beading.  Should I have posted it in every one of those boards?

You could post it in toys because it's for a toy.  Or you could post it in crochet since it's mostly crochet.

Trust me, tags will be very, very helpful in this situation.

In the mean time, things for toys... are still toys. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

batgirl
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2007 10:33:05 AM »

Whoops!  Forgot the eye candy.  Here a hat I made as a gift:

It has crochet, embroidery, felting and beading.  Should I have posted it in every one of those boards?

There is no need to post in multiple boards, which is a violation of craftster rules. If you really aren't sure, put it in toys, because doll clothes are toys. If the main point of your post is "look at my amazing tiny crochet" then feel free to put it in crochet (or felting, sewing, whatever). When in doubt, dolls are toys, doll clothes are toys, the toys board is always appropriate!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
knit_north
« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2007 10:53:10 AM »

you know maybe we should do like the fibre folks - and once a week post a "non-toy craftiness" topic and post pics of the crafts we've done for our dolls that week

(maybe weekly would be too much - but monthly might work!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vanillaxlight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2007 10:56:10 AM »

you know maybe we should do like the fibre folks - and once a week post a "non-toy craftiness" topic and post pics of the crafts we've done for our dolls that week

(maybe weekly would be too much - but monthly might work!)

Thats a spectacular idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

groschveux
« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2007 11:05:46 AM »

Could there be new "Child Boards (completed projects + questions/discussions)" added to the TOYS, DOLLS AND PLAYTHINGS for all the BJDs and other non-toy toys?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vanillaxlight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2007 11:06:53 AM »

Could there be new "Child Boards (completed projects + questions/discussions)" added to the TOYS, DOLLS AND PLAYTHINGS for all the BJDs and other non-toy toys?

Thats more of a possibility than a new board, but its ultimately up to Leah. it took a long time to get a poly clay board, a glass board, and an ATC child board, so if it is a possibility, it may not be for a little while yet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2007 11:08:38 AM »

My 2 cents...take 'em or toss 'em... Cheesy

I realize that Blythes/BJDs/etc. are quite popular right now and the number of projects being posted for them has increased, but I don't think it has increased to the amount that there needs to be a board devoted entirely to them.  We don't have boards such as My Little Pony or a Barbie Doll accessory boards either, so it's not like we're singling Blythes out from the lovin'. Wink

I did a search for "Blythe" in subject lines only and got 3 pages of results.
I did a search for "BJD" in the subject lines only and got 1 pages of results.
My suggestion would be to make sure that you're including keywords in your subject lines so that members can easily locate your projects with the search function.  As was already mentioned, the upcoming tags feature will also assist with this.

Another suggestion would be to have the "Toys, Dolls and Playthings" title changed to "Toys, Dolls, Playthings and Their Accessories" or even just the tagline changed from "Stuffed creatures, dolls, and other playthings. (Remember: completed projects with pictures go here.)" to "Stuffed creatures, dolls, other playthings and the accessories made for them. (Remember: completed projects with pictures go here.)."  That way we are utilizing a board that already exists.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

**Entry period extended to May 20!** From concerts to musicals and more, what events inspire YOU?  Craft and enter for a chance to win a chunk of over $500 in prizes!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Tuck an Oversized Sweater
The Power of Prints
#AdamSays: Jeggings Are Not Pants and Other Style Rules from Adam Glassman
#AdamSays: Sarah Jessica Parker on the Best Shoes to Wear with Dresses
#AdamSays: Adam and Gayle Create the Perfect Look for a Big Event
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Kitchen Dishtowels with Fabric Accents
Tomato/Tomahto
Meatless Monday: Veggie Bolognese Sauce

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...