A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 300,920
Currently Running With Scissors:
609 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: any ideas for eyelash yarn?!  (Read 2688 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pavlova
« on: August 07, 2004 12:44:04 PM »

I usually would never touch eyelash yarn with a barge-pole, however, someone has given me some 9 x 50g balls of Sirdar "Funky Fur". 3 in baby pink, and 6 in lilac.
However, I refuse to knit anything to wear out of this stuff as it would just look so awful and 80's (i'm 18, not 38-trying-to-be-18) and i don't know any cute small girls.

I have a pattern for heart-shaped cushions/pillows, that came with the yarn, but they would look really "Little girl" in the colour ways. (though I may try it as a last resort)
I was contemplating making a bag, and adding a little to the top as a trim, but that really isn't going to eat my way through 9 balls.
I can't sell them on Ebay or anything, as i'm terribly afraid of offending the person who gave me the balls.

ideas?! Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pavlovasworld.blogspot.com
my irregularly updated blog.
melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2004 01:00:20 PM »

Do you know any little girls?  You could make a scarf or poncho for a small girl - it would be very 'movie star' ish to her, I'm sure. 

heh heh, you could make yourself a bikini.  Can you imagine?  It would be hilarious!  Ok, maybe not something you'd actually wear, but soooo funny.

Have you looked for patterns for the yarn?  this page has a bunch, I agree, mostly stuff I wouldn't touch, but the teddy bears might be cute.  lion brand  has some patterns for their 'fun fur' which you could use - they have one for making fuzzy cuff and collar for a jean jacket - hmm, maybe tough in those colors though.  Another thought would be to use a bit for the cuffs of mittens, or hold a strand together with wool when making some felted slippers (like knitty's fuzzy feet) that would make some muppet like slippers.  Someone made an ipod cozy with eyelash - you could use it for any little electronics cozy type project for muppet skin results.

good luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
slystr
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2004 04:42:32 PM »

ok, I'm 42 and perhaps the appeal is a subconcious attempt to recapture a misspent youth, but I really like the eyelash stuff as accents on the ice cream cozie and the coffee cozie I have seen here. You could so a search & find the threads. I made a movie star boa for my 5 yr old, And tho I wont wear anything with it, I do think it does look cool in small amnts on some knit  stuff, tiny bits on clothes or an irinic touch on some household items.
 Please dont tell me you are too old & jaded to enjoy a great pari of fuzzy slippers in Andy Capp's wife style, I'd be so crushed!!!!! I once saw a pair of house slippers with fuzzy eyelash stuff and little skulls on them instead of rhinestones. Had I not been as poor as Job's Turkey at the time I'd have snatched them up i a New York Minute.( then again, when am I not as poor as Job;s turkey?)
 Ok, i admit it, I am old. Damn.
 Wink--slystr
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ellyloo
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2004 06:21:36 PM »

I think it looks great as accents.
And a line or two (oops I'm thinking crochet) of eyelash yarn around the bottom of a poncho will take up a ball or so i think.. dependant on what size hook you use.

You can also combine the eyelash with other yarns/threads etc to diminish the FUZZY and have it only be slightly fuzzy.  (look in yarn stores, they always combine bumpy/metallic/ribbon/whatever with eyelash)

You could edge pillows out of it... make a stuffed animal (A stuffed kitty out of eyelash yarn!  OOooo. )

you could crochet around elastic bands to make scruchies...
umm... make a choker out an inch strip...you could combine it with glass beads.

Hmm.
Collars and cuffs of jackets and edging of gloves/mitts look really neat.

OR, you could send them to ME. *Grin*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

meexie
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2004 10:38:47 PM »

I am all for recycling the yarn into gifts for other people.  I too have received well-intentioned gifts of yarn/fabric/etc and sometimes it's awesome and sometimes it's...thank you for thinking of me! maybe a gift card would have been better.  I have also noticed that some of the supply gift giving is a silent plea to receive something handmade - maybe you could use some of the eyelash to make a gift for the giver?

Have you seen the cat bed pattern in Stitch N Bitch?  Uses up at least 3 skeins of eyelash, I believe, and makes a lovely gift for someone with a cat. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pavlova
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2004 01:19:27 PM »

Thank you all for your suggestions!
I know I sound terribly ungrateful for the gift (really, i'm thrilled as its the first bit of knitting/crafty-related present-stuff i've got in years).
I think I will make a "shopper"-bag with a little eye-lash trim to give to the giver of the yarn as a little thank-you and I'm sure having a few balls left over will always come in handy to add bits of trimming in years to come! -cool suggestion.

i also have a mini-disc player much in need of a decent cozy, so i may also make a little cosy... awww!

I also liked the cat-basket suggestion. though my cats don't really use a cat basket (they prefer furring up the sofa) the giver of the yarn has two dogs, so i'm sure I can just enlarge it!

or... i will probably inter-twine it with lots of other threads of tweedy/metallic/ribbon etc.  -i will be scowering a John Lewis store very near me soon when they try get rid of their discontinued summer stock!

i will try to post any completed projects if i ever get that far...!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pavlovasworld.blogspot.com
my irregularly updated blog.
cheekymamaof2
It doesn't feel like exercise when you're wearing chiffon.

Forget Stitch n Bitch. Nurse n Knit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2004 01:23:10 PM »

Whats wrong with eyelash yarn? Ive seen some truly beautiful things made with it, from scarves to really pretty semi see thru sweaters. maybe the colors wrong for you, but theres certainly nothing wrong with eyelash yarn. Im sure if you really hate it that much many of the craftsters here will be happy to purchase it from you, or trade for something you do like?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BOYCOTT SEW FAST SEW EASY!
visit www.freetostitchfreetobitch.org
my blogs can be found at livejournal (cheekymama) and blogspot (cheekymamaof2)
Ellyloo
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2004 02:59:56 PM »

I think it's probably a 'style' like/dislike.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tempost
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2004 03:59:14 PM »

When you use eyelash for purse handles it eats up a heck of a lot.  I've also interspersed it into a funky hat...one row of lash here another randomly there...kinda fun.  I just recently used eyelash with polarspun and made the most amazing scarf - it's so soft it's ridiculous!  The lash adds the fun colorful bits that make it eyecatching. That took 2 balls of eyelash and one of polarspun - that is in crochet.  I just saw a shawl with a coupla rows here and there done in lash and I'm thinking about making that.  The colours you got sound kinda fluffy baby, but if you mixed them with something unexpected - olive green with the lilac or orange with the baby pink - you may be surprised!

....but what do I know, I'm 39.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yarn, or food? Yarn, or food? .... Eh, I ate last week.
http://makeme.typepad.com
http://hilari.etsy.com
melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2004 07:04:52 AM »

http://www.theshed.co.uk/elviswig.html
Here you go.  The knitted elvis wig!! I'm sure it would be fabulous in pink or lilac!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Woolen Willy Warmer Part 10/21
How to Crochet a Waffle Cable Stitch Part 8/9
How to Crochet a Waffle Cable Stitch Part 9/9
How to Crochet a Waffle Cable Stitch Part 7/9
How to Crochet a Waffle Cable Stitch Part 2/9
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...