A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
551 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Moving to Galveston  (Read 1672 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

endlessxhorizon
« on: July 14, 2006 10:36:33 AM »

Hi.

I'm moving to Galveston in the fall to go to A&M and let's just say I'm nervous. This is my first move away from home, and I'm a little worried about finding my way around and such. I've been looking on galveston.com for restaurants and the such, but I was wondering if anyone could give any tips on cool places to eat, shop, craft stores, etc. The kind of stuff locals know. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Brandy
Find my accessories @ http://brokenhallelujah.artfire.com
uptosomethinggood
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006 10:27:29 PM »

Yay!  I LOVE Galveston.  I am actually graduating in December and planning on moving down there from the DFW area.

As far as crafty stuff, there is this place called Hendly Market.  I always find unusual things there.  It isn't strictly crafts, but like if you are into making shrines or like paper goods, its awesome.  Its on the Strand so its a bit over priced cause its touristy, but sometimes they have really great stuff.  If you're wondering what its like, www.silvercrowcreat ions.com is very similar.

As far as hangout places, the Poop Deck is cool.  I would reccomend staying away from the Seafood Grill (or whatever its called now) cause its over priced and the service is usually bad because I think they are understaffed and its VERY touristy.  Its the one actually located on a pier over the water.  Hmm...thats all I can think of at the moment.  Oh!  Except there is this donut place, but I'll have to look up the addy if you're interested.  I think its Stewart off of 69th?  Mostly I just know how to get to places cause I've been there like a thousand times as opposed to knowing actual streets.  But anyway, donuts are good and they've been there forever.  And its got that old diner feel with like all these regulars having breakfast at the counter.

Last, the aquarium is really worth a look, but then again, I'm a big fan of aquariums in general.  SO yeah, don't be too nervous, it should be a lot of fun.  Good luck!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BlondGirl
Queen of the Uncompleted Project

workworkPLAYworkworkworkworkwork

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008 10:12:11 AM »

The do-nut shop is Homecut Doughnuts.  I am still wearing some fat on my thighs from that place all these years later.

To eat-DiBella's  It is nice and great for entertaining someone special.
To eat cheap-Charlie Burger.  Great yummies. 

Shopping is a hit-or-miss since most places close down soon. 

For coffee--I recommend Rock-n-Java or Java 213 now.  It is just across the street from Trumpet's (Trumpet's is closed down but the statue is still there.) 

Parking can be vicious in the downtown area anywhere. 

For the beach, Surfside is the way to go now unless are in the market for meat.

Be aware that approx 1/4 of Galveston is slums.  Candyman type of slums.  Always be aware of this.

Enjoy! 
(I lived in Galveston for more than 10 years.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Here's my stuff:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=194777.0

Are you making a selvage quilt?  I have some to share. PM me.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
5 Ways To Wear A Leather Skater Skirt
Rev Run and Tyrese: You Wore That to Church?
Rev Run and Tyrese: How to Dress For Your Age
Designer Spotlight: Dip In LA
How To Get Red Carpet Dresses
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...