A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,704
Currently Running With Scissors:
637 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Do you guys actually make money on etsy?  (Read 36273 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

educo
« on: July 13, 2006 10:49:57 PM »

I have looked on etsy, and I wonder why most of the items are quite cheap?  I look at some items, and I personally think that alot of these people deserve to charge more for the work they're producing.  With materials and labor, I wonder how much of a profit do you guys make from your creations? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
atinynap
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006 05:15:18 AM »

I don't sell on Etsy yet either, but I had been wondering the same thing. After the fees, ect... is there really much of a profit to come from it?

Meredith

« Last Edit: February 19, 2007 11:45:52 AM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

tvtrayart
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006 09:37:55 AM »

It's so hard to say!  There is one man that consistently pays his rent with his Etsy art. 

As far as us who sell jewelry, etc. it's so hard to gauge because we're constantly buying supplies to make new things. 

I definitely think that I make money based on what I buy on a piece per piece basis and also manage to pay myself for my labor.  It's helped that practice has made me faster at making things, too.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.tvtrayart.etsy.com
Uniquely handcrafted cards and gifts...

http://tvtrayart.blogspot.com

http://myspace.com/tvtrayart

Hey!  Check out my friend's shop, too!  http://kanyofuse.etsy.com (fused glass goodness)
educo
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006 09:49:39 AM »

Wow, paying his rent from Etsy alone?  I want to sell on etsy ( i have set up an account but not posted anything) but I know my things will cost more than what most of the clothing is selling on etsy.  I'm not charging thousands or even several hundred dollars and I look at people's clothing and check their selling history and see what's being sold and what's not, it seems like their much lower priced items are the only ones selling.  Here's my concern, I want to make high quality garments (I'm not passing judgement on the quality of other sellers because I don't know) and the materials I use are going to be more expensive to begin with.  I like using silks, silk blends, wools, things of that nature and the fabric store is going to charge me more (I live in NYC so that should give you an idea) and based on a rough estimate of cost and labor, it doesn't seem I'll make a reasonable profit based on the work I put into it. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Clay Pants
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2006 10:23:23 AM »

Wow, paying his rent from Etsy alone?  I want to sell on etsy ( i have set up an account but not posted anything) but I know my things will cost more than what most of the clothing is selling on etsy.  I'm not charging thousands or even several hundred dollars and I look at people's clothing and check their selling history and see what's being sold and what's not, it seems like their much lower priced items are the only ones selling.  Here's my concern, I want to make high quality garments (I'm not passing judgement on the quality of other sellers because I don't know) and the materials I use are going to be more expensive to begin with.  I like using silks, silk blends, wools, things of that nature and the fabric store is going to charge me more (I live in NYC so that should give you an idea) and based on a rough estimate of cost and labor, it doesn't seem I'll make a reasonable profit based on the work I put into it. 

have you ever thought of trying to sell your garments at boutiques? I think for what you are doing, you would probably find a much bigger market in boutiques. And in NYC, there are lots to choose from! Try putting a professional portfolio together and showing it to some store owners and see what happens!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ayn
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2006 06:07:41 AM »

Back when I was making jewelry (mainly necklaces, also some small dressier type bags) I definitely avoided online selling.  Just a personal choice, not something I wanted to bother with. Mostly sorta stuck with the consignment route in smaller/locally owned boutique-y kinds of shops. And belieeeeve me that wasn't the easiest route --- we don't live in NYC or any place even remotely-vaguely-anything like it. Nope this is definitely "The Rural Wilds."

It was merely what I preferred to do, and this is one reason why: I wanted to make fairly expensive 'and' guaranteed-'one of a kind' items. No assembly line type stuff -- that would bore me to tears -- & definitely no custom work either (having heard from others how nutso it can be to try to please individual customers with what they want... or 'think' they want... I knew for sure that would make me totally postal...lol).

In other words, I suppose like many artist-types I made only *what* I-personally wanted to make and *how* I-personally wanted to make it... and if stuff didn't sell, so be it. (tho it did, & pretty well, too -- one reason perhaps being what I termed the snob appeal of one-of-a-kind items -- not meaning to be weird about it, I just never really knew what else to call that).

Anyway, in that category (as well as possibly custom work, wouldn't know about that myself tho),  it may be a little easier to sneak ones own labor charges into a price. Nothing outrageous -- I mean, I don't think you'll necessarily get 50 bucks an hour... tho in NYC you juuust possibly might! -- but oh say 'at least' minimum wage, lol.

[[ooops edited to add this: that was really just a hobby for me, or maybe more like a 'therapy' I guess. Wasn't trying or needing to make a living or pay the mortgage or anything]]
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006 06:10:47 AM by Ayn » THIS ROCKS   Logged
educo
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2006 05:44:00 PM »

I'm currently working on my collection and I'm planning to approach Girlshop.com since they're pretty much based in NYC, but I was intrigued about etsy and the whole formula because I think it's pretty cool.  But I do believe many people sell themselves short for the great work I see on that site.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarawearsskirts
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2006 01:58:06 PM »

yep.
i actually have a savings account for the first time since high school.
and it's helped me by giving me extra spending money so i can pay down credit card debt i had, which meant my credit rating went up (well, that and being vigilant and paying things on time, etc).
(i'm a professional, in my mid-twenties, who has worked an office job in my field full-time for over three years, by the way, but a savings account with a growing balance was a feat i had not conquered til etsy). 
if you wanted to extend this, it was my little bit of newfound savings, good credit rating + money i had forgotten about from when i was little (yippee to aunts+uncles who gave savings bonds as seemingly lame birthday presents when i was five!) that allowed me to buy my first house this month...

so, in short, yes, you CAN make money on etsy. if you're wise about it. and work hard at it. and do your homework.   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tofuttibreak
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2006 02:06:30 PM »

I've read about a lot of people who do it just to sustain their craft habit. They make things and then sell them at a reasonably low price so that they can afford to buy more supplies.

yep.
i actually have a savings account for the first time since high school.
and it's helped me by giving me extra spending money so i can pay down credit card debt i had, which meant my credit rating went up (well, that and being vigilant and paying things on time, etc).
(i'm a professional, in my mid-twenties, who has worked an office job in my field full-time for over three years, by the way, but a savings account with a growing balance was a feat i had not conquered til etsy). 
if you wanted to extend this, it was my little bit of newfound savings, good credit rating + money i had forgotten about from when i was little (yippee to aunts+uncles who gave savings bonds as seemingly lame birthday presents when i was five!) that allowed me to buy my first house this month...

so, in short, yes, you CAN make money on etsy. if you're wise about it. and work hard at it. and do your homework.   Wink

Congratulations! Credit card debt blows and it can kill your credit rating (personal experience...).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dee521

bear paws make me happy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2006 07:47:39 AM »

hi, i'm not selling just yet but there's a consignment shop near me that i was thinking of using instead of etsy/online...i make mostly purses/tote bags and i'm also surprised how a) low-priced they are on etsy and b) how many there are of them! i think physical stores would be a better bet for me since i'm in ohio and i don't see purses like mine around here. i was in this shop recently and they had some bags that, while cute, weren't made that well (really floppy, no closures, etc.) and they were $45! so even if i only get 60% of a $50 sale, that's still $30...much more than my supplies. and the owners were estatic when i said i make bags b/c not many people are around here. but i'm not really thinking to build a business, i just want to sell a few things on the side for extra money.
sometimes i also wonder if prices on etsy are artificially low b/c the customers are other crafters who would just make the item themselves instead of shell out $60 for a bag?? i mean, are non-crafting people on these sites regularly? seems like you could command a higher price in a store where customers are like, "sure i'll pay $60 b/c i have no idea how easy it would be to make that myself!" ha! but then again the fees are lower so they may wind up with almost as much as a $50 consignment...
but i don't know, like i said i haven't sold a thing yet......
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
At Home with our Mongolian Chef Odnoo Celik
How to Make Mongolian Buuz Dumplings
How to Make Chinese Beef and Tomatoes
At Home with our Chinese Chef Lena Fung
What is Ghee
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...