A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 300,899
Currently Running With Scissors:
453 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Super Easy Bag Tutotrial for beginners (LOTS of Pics.)  (Read 3345 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Whatsername KT
Tutorial Contributor

Cool People Knit while in line for Concerts

View Profile
« on: July 13, 2006 04:39:20 PM »

Okay, I kept seeing cute little totes that Everyone was making, And I knew how to basically make one, but somel the tuts I've seen kinda confuse me more than help me. So I made my very first tutorial. It's pretty detailed, but thats because I wanted it to be really easy to understand. The purse that results looks like this: http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c42/kaity_vr/BagTut15.jpg

Okay, here we go!

First, pick out  your fabric. You need the outside fabric and one for the lining:

I chose to use an old t-shirt that I didn't like and some random Pink fabric I had around (Yeah I know the Shirt is Lame, but it was free.)

Then figure out your dimentions. I found this Box that was the perfect size. It was 11" by 9". I traced around the whole thing onto the fabric with a sharpie. (I turned the shirt inside-out, too)

I layered the fabric so I would cut out 2 layers of the brown and 2 of the pink, then cut them all out at once so they are all the same;

Then I sewed the browns together (with the right sides facing eachother and the wrong sides facing out), and the same with the Pinks:

This is the tricky part. You have to pin the two together like this all the way around.

All this is done with the wrong sides facing out. You have to pin the "Lips" together and sew it all the way around, leaving about a 3" opening to turn it inside out. Then you get this:

You have to hand sew that hole closed. So fold it over and pin it together:

Then hand-stitch it closed.

Now push the lining (the pink) into the outer shell, and you get this:

Now, to make the edge look nicer, I folded it over about 1/2 an inch and stitched around:

Ta-da! You have a lined bag! Now we need handles. Again, layer the leftover fabric from which you cut out the bag part so you have two layers of both the Brown and the pink, and draw a rectangle. Mine was 14.5" by 2".

Pin the layers together so they stay put when you cut, and cut out the rectangle. They lay a brown piece over a pink one (With the wrongsides facing out), and pin them together. Do it to the other pieces:

Stitch around all 3 of the sides of both rectangles, leaving one short side open. Turn them inside out and iron them to make them lay straight. It helps if you pin it down:

Now you can possition the handles on your bag where you want them and pin them down:

Sew them down (I went over them twice to make it more secure).

Viola!! I added a button to keep it closed, but you could use velcro or whatever you want. Now comes the fun part, decorating. I embroidered Stars onto mine, but again, you could decorate it However you want.

And thats it! Any questions, please let me know. Also, if you make one, I wanna see it!

Thanks! Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I wanna swap! I can knit and crochet pretty much anything (hats, wristwarmers, scarves, Check my blog to see).

My Knitting Blog:
http://kaityvr.wordpress.com/
MoonLightbliss33

Knitting Love <3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006 07:33:48 PM »

Very cute ive done something just like that before
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kyo123
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006 10:57:47 PM »

Whatsername, you sa "All this is done with the wrong sides facing out. You have to pin the "Lips" together and sew it all the way around, leaving about a 3" opening to turn it inside out. Then you get this"

I'm a little confuse on how you sew your lining onto the bag.  Your picture shows both the lining and the bag pinned together.  Did you mean to say put the bag in the lining and sew the top together?  Sorry, but I am just confused.  Can you explain this step for me?  I am new to sewing.  I am trying to understand how the lining is sewed in the bag.

Sorry for sounding stupid Sad

Thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Lab TV: Eric White
Dela: Live Art Painter With An Environmental Message
Aaron Axelrod: The Making of the "Bad Reception" Art Installation
How to Draw Rito Yuuki
Oil Painting For Beginners
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...