A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,625
Currently Running With Scissors:
630 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: KoolAid hair dye....  (Read 2240 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

teapotdnky
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Obomaboe?

Craft or Die

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2006 01:01:25 PM »

How do you dye your hair with it? This sounds fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

Guess who's back?
lovely tangerine
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2006 08:53:58 PM »

if you put vinegar in the mix it stays in longer
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RubberDuckys
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2006 09:21:37 PM »

How do you dye your hair with it? This sounds fun!

Try doing a google search for "kool aid hair dye" and see what tutorials come up

if you put vinegar in the mix it stays in longer
Thanks! I will
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Simply Strano
www.strano.etsy.com
kd
Ta Da, It's Miss America!

If you can't convince them, confuse them.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2006 07:42:42 PM »

Someone I went to school with used koolaid to dye her hair pink.. she had way beyond shoulder length, light blond hair and it stayed pink with very little fading until it grew out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There is no such thing as a stay-at-home mom.
kabochan
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2006 11:17:56 PM »

Finally something i know about.

in high school i dyed my hair a couple times with koolaid (grape and cherry).  my hair is dark brown so it wasn't real noticeable in regular light, but in the sun, it was awesome. 

first off, make sure your get the sugarless/unsweetened kind....you'll be a lot less sticky and less carmely...

i saw that someone already mentioned putting vinegar in - i never had a problem with it fading without, but it probably would be a good idea if you were concerned about that.
the thing with koolaid is that it is really hard to get your roots because you kinda have to do a backbend into nearly boiling water for 15 min.  (i did it for about that long, i assume that is pretty variable depending on how vibrant you want it).  Thus, i just would dye my ponytail and anything else that i could get in.

Anyways, after you do that, blowdry your hair with the juice in it to lock the color.  then leave it in for pretty much as long as you can.  Wash your hair as usual, you may have to clean your shower afterwards....but voila!  beautiful, WONDERFUL SMELLING hair!

-jill

oh, i was checking out online and typed into google "koolaid hair dye" and there were a ton of sites on it.  i found one other way that people seem to say works, although i've never tried it.  here it is.

"READ ALL THE INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE ATTEMPTING. I WILL LAUGH AT YOU IF YOU DON'T. Okay, some of you are right on it, and some of you are just crazy. You have to mix conditioner with Kool-Aid UNSWEETENED mix. I assure you, if you use sweetened, you're hair will be a disaster! You need about 2 times as much conditioner as you would need if you were to condition your hair. Put it in a bowl. Then, put 2 UNSWEETENED (sugar-free) packets of Kool-Aid (color is your choice) in the bowl, and mix well. You might want to wear clothes you don't mind getting messed up, so that if anything drips on them, you don't have to freak out. Put on rubber gloves and massage the mixture into your hair. Pile the hair on your head, and wrap in plastic wrap. The longer you leave it there, the longer the color will last. If you have dark hair, you will need to bleach it first to get any noticeable change. If you have red hair, this may not work at all, because red hair is hard to dye. Once you have sat as long as you can stand with the Kool-Aid in your hair, take off the plastic wrap and rinse your hair until the water runs clear. DO NOT stand in the shower to rinse your hair. Lean over the side of the bathtub and put your head under the water. If you have a detachable shower head, use that. If you stand up, the color will run down onto your body, and leave you stained. It comes out with a good scrubbing, but you would rather not have to deal with it, trust me. Once you're done, you can go about showering as normal. Hope I've helped."
THIS ROCKS   Logged

greenspan still rocks my monetary policy
kikigirl
Einstein was hot when he was young

Let's dance! :D

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2006 11:24:26 PM »

Cheesy  Not to be weird but...does anyone see the crazy thing that we drink (at least kids do) stuff that can dye our hair?!!!  How disturbing (but cool that it smells good)  is that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RubberDuckys
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2006 07:56:14 AM »

Cheesy  Not to be weird but...does anyone see the crazy thing that we drink (at least kids do) stuff that can dye our hair?!!!  How disturbing (but cool that it smells good)  is that?
I didn't think of that.. but it does tend to dye kids mouths red!

kabochan- thank you so much! that helps alot
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Simply Strano
www.strano.etsy.com
shortestkitty
Wootage.

Ghost ride your whip.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2006 08:19:03 AM »

I don't think it's so disturbing, people dye wool with food items all the time! See onions, blackberries, tea... lots of things can be used to dye hair of all kinds. In fact, these natural dyes were the very first.

That's not to say Kool-Aid is good for you... I have no idea what exactly is in the stuff. I'm just saying that we eat things all the time that are capable of dyeing our hair  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look! Round windows!

Check out my Etsy shop for handpainted fashion goodness:
http://www.frompapertocloth.etsy.com

And yes, there's a blog: http://frompapertocloth.blogspot.com
kikigirl
Einstein was hot when he was young

Let's dance! :D

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2006 11:38:59 AM »

I don't think it's so disturbing, people dye wool with food items all the time! See onions, blackberries, tea... lots of things can be used to dye hair of all kinds. In fact, these natural dyes were the very first.

That's not to say Kool-Aid is good for you... I have no idea what exactly is in the stuff. I'm just saying that we eat things all the time that are capable of dyeing our hair  Wink

You're totally right!  I just didn't think of it that way. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

robotsxcanxlovextoo
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2006 01:11:48 PM »

Gah! I used koolaide once...and it entirely ruined my hair...but that was back when it was blondish...just dont use the hot water with it...not if you have fine hair
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I too am strange and unusual...
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Ellen Marmur Reveals Her Motto
Stephen King Talks About N
Joanna Smith Rakoff Talks About A Fortunate Age
Meet Author Sean Covey
Gigi Levangie Grazer Talks About Queen Takes King
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...