A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 299,125
Currently Running With Scissors:
622 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: any tried PHOTOEZ yet?  (Read 5207 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

_chittybangbang
« on: July 12, 2006 08:12:29 PM »

I was searching around on google for different methods of silk screening/screen printing and i found this link: (http://www.photoez.itcstore.com/default.aspx?p=87117) Its this product called PHOTOEZ which is similar to "burn the image to the screen frame with photo emoulsion.." technique (not actually sure what its called but yea) except it has some kind of solution on the product that acts like the photo emoulsion so you dont need to apply any other liquids on yourself...I'm not sure if i am making any sense here but if you read the tutorial on the link then you may get more of an idea of what i am getting at.

well anyways.. I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of, tried, or uses this product.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

entriq
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006 08:39:09 PM »

This looks like it could be a bit of fun, but it also looks like it would be hard to get good results with it.  It probably will be fine for "one-off" stuff in one color, or one of a kind prints with very creative treatments...

Overall, it is a sophisticated stenciling technique.  That is cool, but for most people wanting to do t-shirts it will turn into a lot of work compared to regular screen printing techniques commonly used.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

entriq
_chittybangbang
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006 11:18:50 AM »

its actually kind of costly..Its $27.95 for 3 sheets thats almost $10 a sheet... I'm not sure how much it cost to silk screen normailly, but this may be alot more costly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

entriq
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2006 01:48:15 PM »

Well.  Considering that the screens I use are reused many dozens of times, the actual cost of the screen and fabric for any one "job" is minimal.

The costs in preparing the artwork are more or less the same.

The costs of coating a screen the same size as the Photoeze is also very small... I would guess for the emulsion I use (murakami one-pot sol-c) I would get at least 100 screens from a gallon with an image size the same as the photoeze 8.5x11 - so that is about $1 US per screen. NOTE that the emulsions I use is not for t-shirts, but they have a similar emulsion at a similar cost for that.

Other than that...
- we do have the expense of reclaiming the screen which you won't have with the photoeze, I suppose, but that isn't really very much either.
- And for regular screenprinting you generally need some kind of hinge set-up.  Again - this can be VERY cheap and is a one time cost.

So, just purely on cost for starting up and doing something at all, the Photoeze is cheaper... but once you are up an running, normal screen printing would be a great deal cheaper.

But without the cost consiteration, it still looks like something that could be interesting to goof around with.  Overall, it looks like another of the "fringe" techniques that a few folks will try, but probably won't become popular. 
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006 06:47:05 PM by entriq » THIS ROCKS   Logged

entriq
_chittybangbang
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2006 06:18:08 PM »

Well they said its good for Time, and you dont need to put any emulsion or  anything on it. Today i learned how to silk screen from my sister... I think i like it better than the idea of photo ez, although i still would like to try it. (I wouldnt pay that much money for it though  Roll Eyes)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DogGrrl
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006 08:15:00 AM »

This stuff ROCKS!  I am completely hooked!! Yeah, it's a little expensive but soooo worth it.  My problem was that I didn't have the space that silk screening seems to require, so based on a referrel here I got the photoez.  Just like a silk screen, you can use the screen again and again.  I have also used the screens to do glass etching!  I did finally order the lamp because it is so foggy here, you never know when the sun will be out! 

The only drawback that I have found is that you are limited to a screen size that is 8.5 x 11 (unless you order it by the roll) and you are limited to only one color.  Other than that, I can't recommend it highly enough!!!  Oh, and the company is a dream to deal with, fast and nice.

Here is one t-shirt that I made with it:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=99188.0

The photo makes it look like it bled a little bit, but it didn't - that was just the camera flash.  I made about 30 of these shirts and every one of them came out crisp and professional looking (well as professional as a dog drinking a martini can look! lol!)

Oh, and don't buy the kit - just buy the screen stuff.  You don't need the frame - it is actually easier to tape down the shirt with painter's tape, and you can pick up a squeege from any hardware store.  The plastic canvas is nice to have but you can get that at any craft store for about a dollar.

It takes about 40 minutes to make the screen (using the lamp method) but then to clean it you just rinse it under running water and your'e done!

Wow, I sound like a commercial  Cheesy
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006 08:27:45 AM by DogGrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged
KeenKitty
Accident free since...what time is it?

Because everyone loves a muppet...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006 08:32:31 AM »

I want this....

No....I NEED THIS!

too bad I am poor DAMN!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

_chittybangbang
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2006 10:37:17 AM »

This stuff ROCKS!  I am completely hooked!! Yeah, it's a little expensive but soooo worth it.  My problem was that I didn't have the space that silk screening seems to require, so based on a referrel here I got the photoez.  Just like a silk screen, you can use the screen again and again.  I have also used the screens to do glass etching!  I did finally order the lamp because it is so foggy here, you never know when the sun will be out! 

The only drawback that I have found is that you are limited to a screen size that is 8.5 x 11 (unless you order it by the roll) and you are limited to only one color.  Other than that, I can't recommend it highly enough!!!  Oh, and the company is a dream to deal with, fast and nice.

Here is one t-shirt that I made with it:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=99188.0

The photo makes it look like it bled a little bit, but it didn't - that was just the camera flash.  I made about 30 of these shirts and every one of them came out crisp and professional looking (well as professional as a dog drinking a martini can look! lol!)

Oh, and don't buy the kit - just buy the screen stuff.  You don't need the frame - it is actually easier to tape down the shirt with painter's tape, and you can pick up a squeege from any hardware store.  The plastic canvas is nice to have but you can get that at any craft store for about a dollar.

It takes about 40 minutes to make the screen (using the lamp method) but then to clean it you just rinse it under running water and your'e done!

Wow, I sound like a commercial  Cheesy

Wow i didnt know it was resuable.. where did you buy yout photoex sheets from?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DogGrrl
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2006 11:43:19 AM »

I ordered directly from the company for the photoez blank screenprinting paper/stencil sheets.

You can use any black and white artwork to make the screen.  You can use regular paper but the screen burns better if you use transparencies (available at any office supply store).  The directions that come with it are pretty clear.  I usually just print the design out using my inkjet printer on a transparency, but the other day I gave my 7 year old niece a blank transparency and a black sharpie and made a screen out of her drawing (which was an icecream cone princess!).  This stuff really is amazing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
robin42
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2006 05:28:17 PM »

Ok.  You've all talked me into it.  I just ordered five sheets.  Expensive yes, but looks like fun.  I'll let you know how it turns out.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Taking Flattering Maternity Photos
What You Need to Take a Great Picture
At Last, A Formula For What Photos The Internet Likes
Every Instagram Filter, Definitively Ranked
A Boudoir Photo Shoot Is The Sexy Gift That Keeps On Giving
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...