A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
777 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pressed [MAC] Pigments  (Read 6422 times)
Tags for this thread: makeup  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fade2black

"One man's trash is another girl's treasure"

View Profile WWW
« on: July 12, 2006 12:36:26 PM »

I hope it's okay that I post this. I obviously didn't make the makeup itself. They're pigments by MAC.

Pressing pigments has been my latest obsession. It cures those late night-3am-wide awake-nothing to do blues.

So for those of you who aren't familar with MAC pigments, a pigment is "a highly concentrated loose colour powder that contains ingredients to help it adhere to the skin. Pigment comes in an excellent range of colours. Use to create a subtle wash of colour or an intense effect. Pigment does not streak or cake, is easy to blend and long-lasting" - maccosmetics.com

Looks like this.

It's really somewhat of a hassle to have to deal with the loose powder, for me at least. I saw some girls had pressed them into a pan/regular eyeshadow form in the mac community on livejournal and decided to give it a try.

I don't actually own that many jars of pigments. Haha. The majority of these were samples I bought from girls in that LJ community.

But yes, it was somewhat of a trial and error process. A lot of the girls who had tried it and did mini-tutorials had varying ways of doing it so I just winged it.

Anyways, here are the pics.

As you can tell, some of them don't look at the great. They're kinda bumpy but have since been fixed, I just don't have new pics. I've also pressed a couple more, but again, no pictures.

That's it, I suppose. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Strangel

She totally confused all the passing piranhas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006 09:06:43 AM »

i know you quoted the website, but do the pigments actually work as well as they say they do?  Im just wondering cause MAC is pretty expensive right?   By the way thats a great idea to press the loose power!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes he calls me Al.
bambidandi

Cookies anyone?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006 10:40:56 PM »

Wow! awesome! I heard Mac pigments are really expensive, how much are they?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fade2black

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006 04:57:11 PM »

i know you quoted the website, but do the pigments actually work as well as they say they do?  Im just wondering cause MAC is pretty expensive right?   By the way thats a great idea to press the loose power!

I think they do. They work best if you have some sort of eyeshadow base, especially if you're darker. Or you can put them on without a base for a lighter, less obvious color. You can also do a lot of things with them, so I like them.

Wow! awesome! I heard Mac pigments are really expensive, how much are they?

Yeah, they are. It's $19.50 a jar. But you have to take into consideration how looooong a jar will last. I've bought samples off of other girls for about $3.50-$6 for 1/4-1/2 tsp that I still haven't run out of and I purchased many of them last summer. If it's a color I really like, my friend and I split the price of a jar and just share it because even half a jar is pretty much gonna last you a good couple of years.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
veransia
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2006 11:59:41 AM »

Great pics!  Thanks for sharing that.

I tried pressing a couple of things, too.  My 1st was a Bare Essentials powdered eye shadow.  Worked great.  I put it into an empty Aveda eye shadow pan and now it's in my Aveda compact.  The 2nd one I did was a broken Aveda blush (it was all in chunks).  Again, I put this into an empty Aveda pan (larger pressed powder sized one) and it's geat!  In this new pressed form, my brush doesn't pick up as much colour so I just have to build up the colour slowly.  This is actually preferable to me because before that I was always having to wipe off some of the blush. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sheila
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2006 06:42:58 PM »

Do they go on opaquely and true to their color? I buy eyeshadow all the time that looks really dark and then it goes on and it's light and translucent, it drives me crazy. But I've never used the pigment before.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fade2black

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2006 12:37:42 AM »

Great pics!  Thanks for sharing that.

I tried pressing a couple of things, too.  My 1st was a Bare Essentials powdered eye shadow.  Worked great.  I put it into an empty Aveda eye shadow pan and now it's in my Aveda compact.  The 2nd one I did was a broken Aveda blush (it was all in chunks).  Again, I put this into an empty Aveda pan (larger pressed powder sized one) and it's geat!  In this new pressed form, my brush doesn't pick up as much colour so I just have to build up the colour slowly.  This is actually preferable to me because before that I was always having to wipe off some of the blush. 

Haha. Pressing things is seriously addictive. I tried a LOT of things. I've never tried Bare Escentuals eyeshadow. I use Bare Minerals though. How's the shadow? .I end up wasting a lot less with them pressed and don't have to worry about spilling them all over the place. It's a lot less daunting to use them in pressed form and I reach for color more and more instead of doing my usual nuetral face now. Smiley

Do they go on opaquely and true to their color? I buy eyeshadow all the time that looks really dark and then it goes on and it's light and translucent, it drives me crazy. But I've never used the pigment before.

It all depends on how you apply. If you swipe it across your lid, it's a little more muted but if you pat it on with shadow brush, it's true to color. Especially when you have a base. Definitely worth trying out, IMO.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
veransia
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2006 07:52:28 AM »

Haha. Pressing things is seriously addictive. I tried a LOT of things. I've never tried Bare Escentuals eyeshadow. I use Bare Minerals though. How's the shadow? .I end up wasting a lot less with them pressed and don't have to worry about spilling them all over the place. It's a lot less daunting to use them in pressed form and I reach for color more and more instead of doing my usual nuetral face now. Smiley

I like the eyeshadow but I only have 3: a base, a liner, and faux fox.  I hope to try pressing the other 2.  I've heard that the more sparkly ones (like glimmer or glimpse) don't press as well (they get crumbly).  Faux fox is great for a neutral look, which is what I wear most often... so having it in my Aveda compact is much more convenient (and also travel friendly)!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spoonerism
gabriella.

gabriella

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2006 06:23:05 PM »

In my opinion, I love pigmeents much mor ethan eyeshadows. I apply pigments ontop of a cream base to make the pigment stick, and it comes out much more vibrantly than e/s's do. Pigments are easier to blend, and I love them.
MAC Pigments are $26CDN if I am not mistaken. They are gorgeous colours, but if you're not willing to dish out the money, Annabelle Pigments come in a few colours, like a nice blue, pink, green, white and yellow I tihnk. They are a lot less expensive and you can find them at your drugstore. They are nice and affordable. But personally, I like MAC Pigments a LOT more.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
frogsrock
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2006 07:43:45 PM »

can you give us a few links to the tutorials?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tiki Barber Talks About Tiki
George Hamilton Reveals Where He Would Like to Be
Meet Author Jodi Picoult
Lisa Lutz Reveals Her Motto
Lisa Lampanelli Bares All
Latest Blog Articles
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...