A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
692 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How big of difference..  (Read 517 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

astryd
« on: July 12, 2006 03:03:52 AM »

So, its late. I recieved a big box of yarn for a project earlier today - an afghan for my grandparents and was eager to get started. After casting on, doing the first few rows of the pattern.. I realized that something wasn't quite right.

Occasionally when knitting, I wrap the yarn around the wrong way - clockwise, and it should be counter clockwise? Not all stitches, but enough to notice.

My question is, should I be worried about it? The perfectionist inside me screams YES! Loudly enough that I already ripped out the afghan.. And I plan to make myself pay attention more in the future. But with other projects in progress, it makes me cry a little on the inside to start all over again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stringy
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006 03:47:52 AM »

I don't quite know what the effect of making your knit stitches that way would be. I'm guessing they'd be a bit twisted. I'm also guessing that if it's taken you this long (multiple projects underway) to notice you're doing it, it's probably not that big a deal.

Once I accidentally attached a sleeve to a sweater upside down, and I was the only person who noticed. When I pointed it out to the owner of the sweater, he didn't mind, and now he tells me it's actually quite helpful in figuring out which side is the front when he puts it on Smiley Slightly strange sleeve goes on the left!

As a recovering perfectionist myself, I'd suggest you declare all previous clockwise stitches to be in No Man's Land - they'll just have to fend for themselves. Any new mistakes can be unknitted and fixed, if you notice them within a row or two. After that, they're not to be touched Smiley

Of course, if someone now posts and says that clockwise stitches are really terrible and they'll make your projects fall apart, you might want to ignore this advice. But generally I don't think it's worth it to re-do projects you've already started.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006 05:41:41 AM »

It probably doesn't have much effect on your finished piece at all if you haven't noticed it. People knit in all sorts of methods and manage to turn out good looking projects, so whatever works for you.

sue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
bijouxmaster
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006 08:07:15 AM »

I would think for a project like that it shouldn't make too much difference - is it garter stitch? 

As far as which way is "right" I think there is no such thing.  Apparently I wrap my yarn the "wrong" way but I also purl through the back of the stitch so the end result is the same.  It doesn't matter which way you go as long as your purl stitch corresponds with it & you are consistent (in a sweater or something like that).  For a blanket I wouldn't care.  I think your grandparents will love it no matter what.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

brondesjen
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006 09:14:12 AM »

Sometimes if you knit stitches in a slightly different way it can affect the 'fabric' that you produce - i.e. where stitches are different, it may be stiffer or less stretchy. I read a thread on here last year about 'twisted stitches' (which may be entirely different to what you're talking about!) but you might want to have a look through for it.

I found I was purling the wrong way half way through a scarf but decided to leave it as it was - and learn for next time! (and I'm very proud of myself for that cos the perfectionist tendencies are hard to ignore sometimes!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

grrrlartist
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2006 09:36:51 AM »

it will really only make a difference if you start doing more involved stitch patterns.  in the long run, you will most likely be happier with your work if all of your knits and all of your purls go the same way. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dear mom, please send yarn.  and coffee.

http://grrrlartist-knits.blogspot.com

grrrlartist@yahoo.com
TheDishclothQueen
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006 10:05:46 AM »

It sounds like you're twisting some of your stitches.  You can solve this, w/o changing your knitting style.  When you come to that stitch on the next row, it's going to be laying on your needle twisted.  Simply knit into the back loop, and you've fixed the stitch. 

If you don't fix the stitch, I'm going to disagree with everyone else and say you WILL notice, and you're never going to be happy with it.  I know if I were looking at it, a couple twisted sts would jump out at me. 

Of course, a better, long term solution would be to work on your knitting technique so you're making all your sts the same way.  Even if they're all twisted, if they're UNIFORMLY twisted, it won't be (as) obvious.  It might take a bit to get the hang of it, but that's what I reccommend.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Making an effort to use proper English and not 'net slang makes me much more willing to respond to your post.
astryd
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2006 03:14:47 PM »

Thanks for the replies/help.  Cheesy

Most of the stitches look fine.. but when using yo's or kfb, is when I first noticed that things don't always lay right. I'll just have to pay more attention and maybe not as much late night knitting for awhile.. since I seem to make silly mistakes, and am prone to frogging things. Oops.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

soozeq
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2006 04:42:24 PM »

Making silly mistakes and frogging is how we all learned. Wink You'll get more consistent with practice. Practice, practice, practice. It leads to more knittied objects.

sue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
PaisleyPanther
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2006 06:20:57 PM »

I read somewhere that twisted stitches use almost 15% more yarn.  That's how I motivated myself to start wrapping stitches the right way!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Procrastination is one of few arts in which I excel.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Richard Belzer Talks About I Am Not a Psychic
Davy Rothbart Reveals Where He Would Like to Be
Amy Reed Shares Some Advice
Meet Author Maria Celeste
Samantha Bee Talks About I Know I Am But What Are You
Latest Blog Articles
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls
Meatless Monday: Texas Pecan Pesto

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...