A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,548
Currently Running With Scissors:
695 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pear shaped gals  (Read 6408 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

yllas
« on: July 12, 2006 02:46:10 AM »

Just wondered how many of us curvy gals are pear shaped...and what styles you find suit you best and what you've made thats a great fit etc.

my latest make is 2 pairs of trousers Simplicity 4503 http://simplicity.com/dv1_v4.cfm?design=4503
I foudn the waist rather large so had to take it in...other than that it was great...the side zip is a fav as it reduces extra bulges/fabric at the front of stomache.

would like to make the long jacket, but not sure as so often patterns don't allow for pear shapes and the shoulders are often too big.

I look forward to seeing/reading about your favs and makes Smiley

sally x
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sally
the littlest ninja

Feed that mustache, son.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006 05:36:38 AM »

Can you be pear-shaped but still have huge knockers?  'Cause if so, that's me  Cheesy  I do pretty well drafting my own patterns for skirts, but I always have trouble with dresses, because I'm narrow from the shoulders to the waist except for the boobies, then bam! ghetto booty.  Any recommendations?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Take that you stupid corn!
yllas
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006 04:23:56 AM »

I wonder if your like pear and hourglass shaped???

wish i had some suggestions for you...sounds like you're good at altering the patterns....I too struggle with dresses..though not so big busted..i do have a broad back...and narower shoulders and a longer body compared to my legs.

maybe you could match up a top and skirt and make a dress??? I'm guessing the skirts would be fuller...maybe a shirt like top so the V neck doesnt emphasis you're bust..and a collar would maybe help make your shoulders look broader??? in turn giving you a more "balanced" shape  IUKWIM.

sorry i'm not much help
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sally
supermitaines
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2006 09:52:08 AM »

I'm like that too...I have the hourglass thing going on (although it's a rather voluptuous hourglass...Cheesy) but I also have wider hips than anything...I find it complicated especially when it comes to finding cuts of tops that flaunt the fact that I do have some sort of waist but that camouflages the hips a little too...My current endeavour is an empire waist top that goes down all the way to my hips.  The lower part of the top is more of an A-line than anything else...I'm getting good comments but I'm quite scared that it'll make my hips look wider than they actually are...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out the ramblings

http://supermitaines.blogspot.com
yllas
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2006 02:59:57 AM »

I'm like that too...I have the hourglass thing going on (although it's a rather voluptuous hourglass...Cheesy) but I also have wider hips than anything...I find it complicated especially when it comes to finding cuts of tops that flaunt the fact that I do have some sort of waist but that camouflages the hips a little too...My current endeavour is an empire waist top that goes down all the way to my hips.  The lower part of the top is more of an A-line than anything else...I'm getting good comments but I'm quite scared that it'll make my hips look wider than they actually are...

sounds like a lovely style top, I bet its cool..ideal for this time of year Smiley

I know the wrap tops are supposed to be good at showing off the bust and emphasing the nipped in waist...and if its patterned and the bottom half (skirt/trousers) aren't i think thats supposed to help...not too sure though as i dont always get it right...or cant find something suitable in the shops.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sally
theditzzz
Trish

With hair like a gobstopper-always changing color

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2006 07:14:58 PM »

i'm sorta pear shaped...i'm more that than anything else i guess...but i've always found that A-line skirts work nicely. although thats a common suggestion, i'm sure, i hope i helped you...or anyone for that matter!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
flutegeek104

Can't touch this!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2006 08:11:17 PM »

I'm very pear shaped. I have an A cup and wear a size 22 pant. Dresses are so hard to find Sad. I like wearing shirts that hit just at the largest part of my hip (is better then before my hip and after the hip). I also found A-line and Circle skirts look nice. Anyone know where to find a 42A bra that isn't $28?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
toolmaggot
Nuts go Here.

Lay back and let me show you another way...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2006 02:23:17 PM »

I'm 5'1" and have ridiculous thighs.  The circumference of one thigh is the circumference of my waist, which is pretty much normal sized (26 in.).  I have huge love handles and no butt.  I'm pretty much the worst shape ever.  Pants are my worst enemy.

I have a pair of absolutely low-as-you-can-go pants that I altered (they were my mum's, from K-mart or something.  Cool plaid print, but sucky otherwise).  If I didn't shave, you'd be able to see my pubes.  They're so low that you can barely tell I have massive love handles.  I find that they look good with a shorter, tight shirt that accentuates my waist and cans but still leaves my torso pretty long.

My regular low-rise pants look best with a really long shirt to sorta mask my love handles.  The pants kind of bunch up the fat accumulating on my sides, which makes short shirts look terrible and gives me the shortest torso ever.

I avoid really wide-leg pants for the most part.  Regular flares work for me, but straight leg pants are the devil.

I have fat arms, so tank tops or really short-sleeved shirts aren't for me.

That's about it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just the way your mother likes it, Trebek!
emmaline
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2006 05:42:42 PM »

haha i've finally found my home!
i am such an pear shaped figure and finding clothes is just ridiculous, hence why i pretty much never go shopping.
my waist is so freaking small, yet i own the ultimate in "thunder thighs"
they're huge! and thats where ALL my weight goes
so all pants are usually way too tight in the thigh department and HUGE in the waist.
unfortunately i'm really not capable of sewing my own jeans or anything like that so i have to buy bigger jeans, take them up and wear a belt on like the smallest setting. its a joke!
but yeah, i've also learnt that a line skirts are friends and skinny legged jeans are laughable on me
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Let's stick to regular Monopoly. The game is crazy enough as it is; how can an iron be a landlord?

http://www.agirlcallede.blogspot.com
yllas
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2006 11:04:20 AM »

its about time designers made styles to suit and clothes to fit us pear shaped gals.
I have the thigh problem, and have found the only way to ge tgood fitting trousers is to alter or make them mysleves....jeans are impossible to take though so i tend to avoid them, and most just add bulk were its not wanted...i find pockets make things look worse..so avoid them also.

I've no idea were to buy a good quality bra that isnt too expensive for a size 42A...i'm in the UK, so i'd suggest M&S as they do a good fitting service and their underwear is a must have

Toolmaggot, sounds like you have got some good solutions to your "body shape and anything that can disguise or "even out" my body shape/problem areas is a must.

I agree with the skinny legged trousers/jeans....i must avoid those too
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sally
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Extreme Website Makeover - Live Trace and the Tracing Options Dialog Box
Extreme Website Makeover - Creating a Company Logo with Illustrator®
Extreme Website Makeover - Previewing the Finished Website
Extreme Website Makeover - Identifying Ways to Improve a Website
Extreme Website Makeover - Project File Overview
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...