A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,720
Currently Running With Scissors:
647 Guests and 38 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: stencil pressed hearts  (Read 2471 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2006 11:55:14 PM »

I am a future girl. I have same bottle purchased over yr ago, and still looks full.  That bottle will last me FOREVER!!!

Heck, that's BABY Future  Grin Grin... my bottle is at least 7years old, and mostly full.  It does last forever!

Future was hard to find believe it or not.  I think I found it at Kmart but not Walmart.  (unless walmart was out)

It has been harder to find in the last few years, I've noticed.  It used to be right next to the Mop 'N Glo (which is the same thing) at most grocery stores, but now both seem to be gone.  I've had better luck at my local drug store, occasionally at Target, and I hear Ace Hardware usually has it.

All the finishes found in craft stores around here peel off over time.  Future will not peel.

Most acrylic finishes should work fine if applied correctly, let dry thoroughly between coats, and no oil was present as a resist, etc., but Future and Varathane at least have some special properties. 
Future will kind of sink into warm clay (tho loses some of its gloss), and Varathane has something called an "interpenetrating network" which causes it to sink in and bond well to polymer clay not just on the surface (and doesn't get less glossy). 

Which finish do you think is the best DianaB??

Well, I use mostly Varathane, but occasionally I use Future (and always use Future for my classes because it's cheap and dries enough to allow students to take their things home quicker than Varathane).  If I use it myself, I'll always rebake it.
Varathane is thicker than Future, and I don't like having to put a bunch of coats of Future on to get to the same level Varathane gets with one coat.  (Varathane also comes in a semi-gloss --which is almost matte-- and I use that rarely but at least I have the option.)  For dipping, I'll definitely use Varathane.  Sometimes I rebake Varathane and sometimes I don't.  Varathane also doesn't have that sweetish smell that Future has, which bothers me just a bit. Also I believe that Varathane doesn't yellow with ultraviolet light over time the way that Future does (not that my things are usually left in UV light).
They're both good though!, that's just my preference.

Diane B.
GlassAttic....polymer clay "encyclopedia" http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
little bit'o photosharing: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/dianeatglassattic/my_photos

THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
crystalthepirate
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2006 10:13:16 PM »

those are awesome. i love the red pair.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cupcakeology
World domination...one cupcake at a time!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2006 12:04:02 PM »

I love the red heart earrings!  Everything looks great, excellent job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The LiteShaper Frame and Softbox
How to Shape the Model with Light
How to Read the Photographic Histogram
How to Take Glamour Shots in High Key Setting
How to Create Bullet Time Effect
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...