A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,034
Currently Running With Scissors:
639 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: stencil pressed hearts  (Read 2404 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

beadizzygrl
Tutorial Contributor

My Perty Thangs......If the green light is on, I am home!!

MONSTER good luck coming my way!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: July 12, 2006 12:07:46 AM »

These I used gold leafing of all colors.  Even those iddy biddy hearts was pressed with stencil. 

These are kaleidoscope canes

This is a large pendant using mica technique then pressed thru large stencil. 

These are various canes that worked great for the heart shaped.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gina
I am not obsessed with Perty Thangs, I am disciplined...

I have alot to share, all you gotta do is ask.

Crochet, x-stitch, Ribbon embroidery, plastic canvas, beadwork, polymer clay, wire work, and now TATTING!!  Please help me learn to knit, then I might be complete.
craftsbian
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006 05:20:57 AM »

I am in love with the gold leafing hearts!  I have been addicted to gold leafing for the past couple of months.  Where did you get the red leafing?  Have you tired using alcohol inks or leafing?  That makes some pretty cool effects.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kaleesi
Craftaholic

Rae'Lynn Grace - 5 months old

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006 10:44:23 AM »

Wow!!!! Those look perfect!
Professional!  Gorgeous!!!
Wow!
Can I ask when you put the wire loop in?
Before or after baking?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a gorgeous granddaughter Smiley

Not allowed to craft without supervision Wink
God is big enough.....
beadizzygrl
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006 11:21:43 AM »

The red gold leafing I found in refill sheets for a foil pen.  I do not have pen, and know NOTHING about them, but I thought I would give them a try on polyclay.  I found it worked easier than the larger more expensive sheets of gold leafing.  Oh and I found them at discount store called Meyers in the scrap booking aisle.  Compared to walmart they are not so discount.  In that pack they had gold, silver, blue, red and rainbow.  I went back for more, they were not there anymore  Embarrassed, so if ya see them GRAB all they have lol.  I make figure 8 shape wires.  One loop get sandwiched between two stencil pressed hearts with a small dot of liquid clay on loop.  Then smoothed closed then baked. 
« Last Edit: July 12, 2006 11:24:46 AM by beadizzygrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gina

Crochet, x-stitch, Ribbon embroidery, plastic canvas, beadwork, polymer clay, wire work, and now TATTING!!  Please help me learn to knit, then I might be complete.
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006 02:27:05 PM »

beadizzygrl, was your metallic stuff leaf or foil?   And if it was foil (metallic plastic that's clear-plastic backed, rather than very thin real-metal leafing), did you burnish it on before pressing through the stencil, or apply it some other way or order?  Looks like you managed to keep a very smooth surface, without any crackling ... purty!

Diane B.
preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', 'GlassAttic....polymer') clay "encyclopedia"
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
little bit'o photosharing: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/dianeatglassattic/my_photos

THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
katieclaytonn

Life's a Highway

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2006 02:39:48 PM »

the heart pendant is amazing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

when there's nothing left to burn, you have to set yourself on fire.

& Today skies are painted colors of a cowboy cliche And strange how clouds that look like mountains in the sky are next to mountains anyway.
beadizzygrl
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006 03:13:48 PM »

DianeB you are the one I need to ask.  I call leafing and foil the same thing. I have used the more expensive gold leafing with the burnish then peel off (like band aid removal quick lol)  and had ok time with getting foil to stick to clay.  But the refill kit for a "Hot Foil Pen" by the company "Staedtler" worked awsome.  It contained 12 sheets of 3 1/2" x 4 1/2" size.  They were much easier to peel off and stuck better than the gold leaf.  It amazed me too that the foil did not crack when protruding from stencil.  I have went hog wild with this technique!!!!! I have alot of mica shift beads doing this too.  And thank you guys bunches on your compliments!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gina

Diane B.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2006 09:32:33 AM »

DianeB you are the one I need to ask.  I call leafing and foil the same thing. . .

Well, as far as I understand, leafing is a general process which puts a metallic film onto another surface, and has been around for a long time.
Previous to the invention of plastic, those films were always very thin sheets (or flakes) of real metal --generally gold, silver or copper, and were applied with some kind of glue (to wood frames, etc.).  Those are still called leaf, as far as I know, and are rather expensive. 

Now we have two new 'leafing" materials available to crafters (in addition to the leaf made from real gold and other expensive metals).

Composition leaf (or composition metal leaf, or imitation leaf) looks and handles like the traditional leaf, but it's much cheaper.  It generally comes in 6" sheets, separated by tissue-type paper, for approx. $9 per 25 sheets at craft and art stores (also comes as flakes). Sheets of this stuff are only .3 microns thick and extremely lightweight, so it can easily blow around. The reason it's cheaper is because it's made from aluminum, brass, zinc, or copper (aluminum is dyed for "gold").  It also comes variegated in color and pattern, and I assume the same kind of dyeing is done for those (but colored alcohol inks will also work, and pearlescent acrylic "inks" may work in ways too).  Leaf sticks readily to raw polymer clay, but must be applied with some kind of adhesive if the clay is already baked.
Composition leaf will tarnish over time though (not sure about all the colors though), and oils from one's fingers make that happen sooner.  So most leaf will need to be sealed to avoid that (one famous clayer even used Varathane sealer before and after baking on her leaf-covered clay, and said it worked well, plus she felt the leaf didn't change color in the heat as it sometimes does.  Future should work in the same way.

The other type of metallic sheeting is "transfer foil."  These foils are not make from metals, but often look metallic (or pearlescent) and they come in solid colors, or patterns.  They're actually  two layers... one a colored plastic, the second a clear mylar sheet which is a backing.  The colored plastic is what sticks to the raw clay and the clear backing is ripped off (...burnishing and/or heat are often used to help).  For baked clay, glue and/or heat must be used.

Some foil colors are notoriously hard to transfer (like the holographic ones), and some brands seem more tightly bonded to their backing sheets than others (the Staedtler brand of transfer foil available at Michaels in the rubberstamp section as "refills" or in a combo with a Hot Foil Pen may be one of those brands that's not too tightly bonded to it's carrier and/or stretchier (one person has also suggested that leaving the foil in contact with the raw clay overnight will make it very stretchy and rubbery --and therefore wouldn't do the intentional-crackle thing).
One brand of foil that's been used a lot by clayers is Jones Tones (6" x 12" strips sold in a tube in the t-shirt decorating area for clothing), but there are other foils sold at craft stores (sometimes in the rubberstamp section).

Transfer foils have other uses too... they can be run through a photocopier over a photocopy and the heat will transfer the foil to the text or graphics ...they're also used for decorative wall embellishment, leather crafting, nail art, etc., so the foils are often sold at other places as well as craft stores --may also be called thermal foils, heat-sensitive foils, toner-reactive foils, laser foils, or rub-on foils, metallic foils, etc.
Since they're plastic, foils will not tarnish and don't need to be sealed. 

(There are also thicker real metal foils that are sold as "craft foils" for embossing or making cells for tinted liquid clays to simulate cloisonne, etc.)

Is that what you wanted to ask?  If not, ask again  Grin

Diane B.
preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', 'GlassAttic....polymer') clay "encyclopedia" http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
little bit'o photosharing: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/dianeatglassattic/my_photos

THIS ROCKS   Logged

few of my photos
beadizzygrl
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2006 05:40:55 PM »

Thanks bunches DianeB.  I am learning so much from you. 
I did find after I applied future floor polish, it made them even more shiney, I am a future girl. I have same bottle purchased over yr ago, and still looks full.  That bottle will last me FOREVER!!!  Future was hard to find believe it or not.  I think I found it at Kmart but not Walmart.  (unless walmart was out)  Which finish do you think is the best DianaB??  All the finishes found in craft stores around here peel off over time.  Future will not peel.  I find my mica shift things show even better after future is applied. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gina

Sarie23
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2006 06:21:16 PM »

Nice job. They all look great. I think I'll vote the pendant as my favorite though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Sarah

http://sarie23.deviantart.com/
[[I post a bunch more on there]]
Diane B.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2006 11:55:14 PM »

I am a future girl. I have same bottle purchased over yr ago, and still looks full.  That bottle will last me FOREVER!!!

Heck, that's BABY Future  Grin Grin... my bottle is at least 7years old, and mostly full.  It does last forever!

Future was hard to find believe it or not.  I think I found it at Kmart but not Walmart.  (unless walmart was out)

It has been harder to find in the last few years, I've noticed.  It used to be right next to the Mop 'N Glo (which is the same thing) at most grocery stores, but now both seem to be gone.  I've had better luck at my local drug store, occasionally at Target, and I hear Ace Hardware usually has it.

All the finishes found in craft stores around here peel off over time.  Future will not peel.

Most acrylic finishes should work fine if applied correctly, let dry thoroughly between coats, and no oil was present as a resist, etc., but Future and Varathane at least have some special properties. 
Future will kind of sink into warm clay (tho loses some of its gloss), and Varathane has something called an "interpenetrating network" which causes it to sink in and bond well to polymer clay not just on the surface (and doesn't get less glossy). 

Which finish do you think is the best DianaB??

Well, I use mostly Varathane, but occasionally I use Future (and always use Future for my classes because it's cheap and dries enough to allow students to take their things home quicker than Varathane).  If I use it myself, I'll always rebake it.
Varathane is thicker than Future, and I don't like having to put a bunch of coats of Future on to get to the same level Varathane gets with one coat.  (Varathane also comes in a semi-gloss --which is almost matte-- and I use that rarely but at least I have the option.)  For dipping, I'll definitely use Varathane.  Sometimes I rebake Varathane and sometimes I don't.  Varathane also doesn't have that sweetish smell that Future has, which bothers me just a bit. Also I believe that Varathane doesn't yellow with ultraviolet light over time the way that Future does (not that my things are usually left in UV light).
They're both good though!, that's just my preference.

Diane B.
preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', 'GlassAttic....polymer') clay "encyclopedia" http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm

THIS ROCKS   Logged

few of my photos
crystalthepirate
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2006 10:13:16 PM »

those are awesome. i love the red pair.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cupcakeology
World domination...one cupcake at a time!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2006 12:04:02 PM »

I love the red heart earrings!  Everything looks great, excellent job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Cajun Shrimp Scampi
Nacho Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe
Cooking Turkey With a 5,000 Year Old Recipe in Santa Fe
How to Make Mouth-Watering Memorial Day Burgers
Perfect Picnic Rosemary Potato Salad Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...