A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 312,944
Currently Running With Scissors:
552 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Craft projects for 7 year old girls  (Read 1595 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: July 11, 2006 06:48:02 PM »

This isn't exactly a gift idea need, but I didn't know where else this would go but here...

Anyway, I'm doing a lot of babysitting this summer for a seven year old girl, but two days a week, I have two girls to entertain. Not being one to plop kids in front of the TV, and not wanting to watch the horrible plays they put on for me, I've decided to do a craft project each day I have both girls.

So far I've brought them milky pens/black paper, white fabric/fabric markers that I turned into purses and headbands, and next week they're going to sew pillows and make armwarmers.

But I'm running out of ideas. What more can I do with them? I'm trying to avoid anything that requires lots of expensive/hard to find supplies (I'd prefer to use things I have around the house, but can be paid back by the parents for supplies if need be), huge messes (after all, it isn't my house), or things that are particularly hard for them to understand the process of.  I'm fine with something they design, that I take home and complete (ie- sew up).

I love personal swaps.

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006 04:42:39 AM »

Get them outside.

Get some shoe boxes and start rock collections

Get some books at the library on plants and go for walks in the woods and see what the name of plants are.

Make beads out of seeds or homemade salt dough.

Sew some fabric and make change purses or hair ties.

Make dream pillows... these can be small... use mugwort, lavender and rose petals.

If you have a dollar store, go there and check out the craft section.  Colored popsicle sticks and glue can make a bunch of things like photo frames.  Or use twigs that you collected from walks.

Make a scrap book. 

There are TONS of kids craft sites.... dont go crazy looking at them all.  Have fun!
Phasing out my swaps for now. I'll swap again later!

Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do or do without!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2006 04:14:58 PM »

Kids that age like those 'rock crystals' that you grow...that could be a craft one day and something cool to look at for many days to come

Buy the cheap ceramic/plaster or plastic stained glass items (ready-to-paint) and paints to go with them

Sprout seeds in a cool-whip container with wet cotton

Those swirly colored, foul smelling 'plastic' balloons that you blow up with the tiny straws are cool

Make your own board games or trivia games

Teach them basic hand sewing (like how to sew on a button, etc...I taught my siblings when we were young!)

Make greeting cards (Thank You cards for teachers/parents, birthday cards...whatever)

Before school starts back make mini scrapbooks or journals and add pictures or drawings of your summer together

Have a 'day spa' with mini mani/pedicures, facials, hair and make up tips...take lots of pictures for your scrapbooks

Learn Origami together

Decorate some dollar store sandals with fun fur or strips of old fabric just to kick around the house in.

Get language audio tapes from the Library and learn an 'exotic' foreign language (French, German, Italian for example)  Even if they just learn a phrase or two they'll feel SO sophisticated...or spend the day just pretending to talk to each other in a foreign language.

Make Kool Aid play dough. (Google the recipe) It's easy, inexpensive and smells good...let them pick the colors and call it modeling clay...'play dough is for little kids!'

Do plastic canvas cross stitch...great for beginners and cheap

Learn some Sign Language...it always comes in handy...especially at school!

Make paper beads out of sale papers...see website http://www.tappi.org/paperu/art_class/paperBeads.htm (other crafts on this page, too!)

Make Kool Aid Popsicles out of an ice cube tray with toothpicks or the 'real' popcycle molds

The list goes on...there ARE a lot of free craft sites out there...do a web search.

For my Free Knitting Pattern for Hand Springs Fingerless Mitts:

View My Craft Blog

I'm finally on RAVELRY!  User ID RecycleMicol
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006 06:48:15 PM »

have you tried sculpie or some kind of clay you can bake in the oven? Sculpie is fun and doesnt cost too much, with little girls you can roll colors together and make some beads. Then make necklaces, bracelets, key chains, earrings.. you can also take sculpie and wrap it around a pen- take the ink cartrige out, and the top and wrap sculpie around the plastic base of the pen.. then put it in the oven for about 15 minutes at 275 degrees and  then put the ink back in and screw the top back on .. and waaa-llaaa a brand new pen!
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006 06:54:13 PM »

Oh! i just thought of a few more things, paper mache, making masks, friendship bracelets... and this http://www.makingfriends.com/lanyard_keyring_rwb.htm I work with kids and the girls I work with LOVE making these
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2006 05:59:54 PM »

You can try making Shrinky Dinks, those can be made into necklaces and keychains. You can bring beads and have them choose ones they like to glue on to barrettes, or making hair scrunchies with strips of fabric and elastic. Maybe gum wrapper/straw chains into bracelets?
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006 07:23:21 PM »

maybe make lip gloss or stuff like that.[kool aid lip gloss]
Silly putty
Play dough

That's all i can think of right now so when i have more i'll reply!

http://benefitfashion.webs.com/  Fundraiser Blog with DIY's and more
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2006 09:55:30 PM »

French Knitting (I taught my 4yo neice without too much trouble)

Finger Knitting

Actual Knitting (depending on how patient they are)

Cats Cradles (you know with the string)

reach for the stars and you might just become one

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2006 04:16:11 AM »

this is my first post here, but ive been babysitting some girls around the same age and i bought them each a scrapbook. each day we would do different things for it. heres a few things we did:
-they dressed up in glamourous clothing (sunglasses, feather boas etc) and took lots of photos
-flower pressing, which sounds really old fashioned but they loved going round the garden collecting leaves and picking flowers!
-sticker making
-lots of drawings and messages from each other
-we used lots of cut outs from magazines to make mini collages

then we stuck all this in the scrapbooks along with loads of glitter, sequins and sparkly materials and now they have a reminder of the fun week they had Grin

white trash hero
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2006 04:18:20 AM »

something i did at a 6-7 yr old party that was a complete hit

get wooden spoons, pom poms, pva glue, sequins, felt etc
make the spoons into people..i could get a pic of one if you like
i also got some googly eyes and feathers and they loved it!!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
National Candy Corn Day: October 30
A Beautiful Way to Transform Store-Bought Pound Cake
Here Is An Education For Any Chocolate Lover
Mondays With Marlo - The Chocolatiers
Here Are The Benefits Of Dark Chocolate
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Cube Advent Calendar
Thankful for Family
Meatless Monday: Guava Pecan Pie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...