A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,079
Currently Running With Scissors:
823 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: is this a good way to display my jewelry?  (Read 1105 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

DithMer

Have a good one, and learn everything you can.

View Profile
« on: July 11, 2006 05:40:54 PM »

so this was my weirdo idea for how to show my jewelry on my site.  what do you guys think?

« Last Edit: December 18, 2009 11:36:28 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged
euphorbia
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006 10:35:00 AM »

i would try a different background colour, more bright, like some nice white linnen, it gives lots of light. do different colour experiments, maybe? and maybe you could photograph them on your neck?
i say, put them on and take some close-ups. and i'm sure it'll be good, they're very pretty! i really like how you put colours together in you jewelry.
good luck Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
arrhythmia
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006 08:52:56 PM »

Personally, I like it. It works great for showing the details of your clasps, pendants, etc. Plus, it has personality, which gets noticed usually. It gives a good size reference, too, as to the size of the pendants. You may want to give thought to maybe one shot on a person or a necklike thing for reference as to how long the necklace hangs down.

I just got a plastic hangup type mannequin on ebay for 10 bucks(plus shipping) in black, which might be great for display purposes. But white is the same price and fleshtone, as well. Just a thought. If you're like me you'll try to do it another more creative way, though! Smiley It appreciate having it though, especially for the clothes that are too small for me.

I love your jewelry and hope everything goes well as you get your shop ready. Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rosie.ok
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2006 11:32:08 PM »

love your jewellery. the idea of using hand does give a great reference for sizing.

i'm not sure about the angle though- the hands coming in from the side. maybe if you stood above the board and held your hands and arms sraight down and kind of cupped (kind of like the bottom photos without your tummy and arms ) but have the jewellery more sitting in your hand rather than over your fingers. the best idea would be to take photos in a few different positions and angles and show them to friends.

if you want to get really arty you could paint you hands in tones that will compliment the stones or in silvers or golds. LOL

i'm not sure about the colour either. black is usually used for jewellery it makes the colours stand out well. purple or red are also great colours. they're both associated with jewellery. but if you do choose carefully so they don't make your hand colours look odd
THIS ROCKS   Logged

unsay
nemo me impune lacessit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2006 03:54:22 PM »

I think having a hand in each shot is a little distracting.  If you want to show size, just put the length or size in the description.  Photos of the jewelry alone look a lot more professional.

& I LOVE the clasp detail on the green necklace.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006 01:11:03 PM »

All I can see are the hands. Not a reflection on you, but you don't have hand-model hands (neither do I!). If you were to use your hands, you might want to drape the jewelry over the outer hand, over the pinky finger. Polish your nails if necessary!

I would also use a light background like a billowy sheet or something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DithMer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2006 01:35:37 PM »

ha!  hmm... well... i kind of already did the photos.  but to be fair, i did them before i saw those two negative comments towards it!!

anyways, my etsy shop is now all hands, if anybody else cares to comment. Smiley

www.dithmer.etsy.co m
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bobbie2oo4

Show me your website and I will come! :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2006 02:04:50 PM »

I have to say - I'm with them... I'm not about the hands. They are distracting to me as well...

I think you should redo the pictures on a plain background.

I do like the closeup shots though Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Need a business website? See pageBuzz.com - ultimate do it yourself solution for $9.99/mo- includes everything, even a shopping cart!

Advertise your crafts for FREE? Check out http://craftersbuzz.com
DithMer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2006 03:28:34 PM »

ha.  when i had the necklace on the plain background people told me to redo them because they were boring. Smiley  i guess you can't please everyone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fantacuous
goddamn right it's a beautiful day

easily distracted by shiny objects

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2006 03:33:35 PM »

i like to photograph my artwork in a variety of locations (hanging from a tree, on concrete, next to a plant, etc.).  personally, i feel like it adds to the item.  you can give your piece a certain feel just by putting them in different environments.  i like contrast, for example, so i'll photo a shell necklace against concrete.

i don't know if that makes any sense.  if you look at the items on my website, you might be able to see what i mean.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

there are no mistakes in pottery....only planters.

much of what i make is available on etsy at: http://madebymarmalade.etsy.com/

Help create a Glass board for Craftster!! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=102159.0
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Popular Demand Founder Blake Ricciardi Talks Success of Streetwear Brand
Style Sound Off: Jennifer Lopez, Sandra Bullock & Kim Kardashian
Snoop Dogg Aka Snoop Lion on Making Music With His Sons
Paris Street Style in 90 Seconds
10 Clever Clothing Hacks You Should Know
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...