A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,272
Currently Running With Scissors:
512 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 172
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The random RESIN question thread!  (Read 308375 times)
Tags for this thread: resin , mold , catalyst , resin_problems  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

titancia
Are you a good twin or a bad twin?

It's Thistle with a Bobo on her head!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #60 on: May 17, 2006 06:41:44 PM »

Thank you all who answered my last question! I do have another now... (Of course!)

I want to try the photo in the bottlecap/cover in resin thing and I was wondering what sort of paper I should use for that? Should I print it on regular paper, photo paper, or is it best to have photos printed at Costco and use the real thing? My sister and I tried making our own italian charm bracelets with resin and I did one of a small drawing of my church...The resin sort of saturated the paper at the edges but not the middle (not a cool look) and I'm wondering if there's a way to distribute the saturation evenly if printing the image on normal printer paper is best to use? (Does any of this make sense?)

Thanks so much for your help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Starwings20
« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2006 08:49:40 PM »

Crimsonjade- I know you already purchased the castin craft, and I haven't used it yet, but I have used the easy cast, and if you have the money I would suggest buying that to start out with. You could always use the other stuff after you have some more experience. I know that I have casted some really thin things with it, and also just coated things with it. It works really well for that even though the bottle says casting epoxy. Anyhow, it is one to one mixture, so it is pretty hard to mess up if you are using measuring cups. Also like it has been said, it isn't as toxic or smelly. But the main thing is how easy it is to mix. I found a ton of good molds on the Alpine Import website. I also bought the latex to make my own, so maybe that is a good way to go, although I haven't used it yet myself.
I did end up buying a mold release, easy cast says that you need it, although I used it plenty of times without using one, and when they are really done curing they pop out no problem at all. The first time I tried to use pam, and when the resin creates the heat I guess, it puddled up on the bottom of my mold and "pitted" the surface when it was finished. So if you are going to go that route, try just one piece at a time so you wouldn't ruin many if that also happens to you.
Also with the easy cast, I have mixed up a cup before and had plenty of time to mix, let the bubbles settle out, mix in color, let bubbles settle again and pour 3 trays of small molds and it never set up on me. It did get thicker, however not hard to work with at all. So I think you can make plenty at a time. But like Diane B. said, start with one of each type of cast ( like color, adding a picture, magazine cut-out, or whatever you are going to embed) to test out how it works and any potential problems. I purchased all the dyes and pigments for the resin so my first attempt at resin was with like 16 paint molds where I poured resin, added a drop of color and mixed each one seperately. Well I found out that if you don't mix the color really well, it will not dry. So when I popped them out of the molds, I got the dye and pigment everywhere!
 Also, I had my mom get me some of those plastic syringes from the medical supply store, and I sucked up the resin and "squirted" them into each small mold without making a mess. You have to clean them very well afterward ( while they are still wet) I use regular rubbing alcohol on a paper towel to remove the most and then wipe again, finish with plain paper towel. I found that is the best way to remove the resin. Just don't add water! That makes it turn milky and even stickier!
titancia- you can use any of those, but you should test each one. Almost for sure I can say that regular paper will become tranclucent, so you need to seal that. But you might need to seal the photopaper also. I don't know about regular photos, I don't think they would have any problem at first, but sometimes the resin can cause the inks to bleed. I bought a regular spray sealer and that works really well, but like Diane said in the post above, you can use white glue also.
Ok, I know I ramble, but hopefully that contained some relevent information! ok bye. lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: May 18, 2006 02:05:04 PM »

I think you should be able to use photo papers and photos without a sealer first, but using one couldn't hurt anyway (thinned white glue... dry), and that should always result in an even effect. 

I'm guessing that the reason some of your image didn't get saturated with resin and become translucent was because the drawing acted as a sealer a bit, but don't really know.

Good luck!

Diane B.
GlassAttic ...polymer clay "encyclopedia"
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
glitterkick
« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2006 06:37:06 AM »

I always use images printed on photo paper (from an inkjet printer) and I never have any problems with the images fading. Now when I used regular paper, they would fade/turn clear every time. Stick w/photo paper and you should be just fine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

titancia
Are you a good twin or a bad twin?

It's Thistle with a Bobo on her head!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #64 on: May 22, 2006 12:41:11 PM »

Thank you for the suggestions! I think I'll be trying photopaper this next weekend (gotta get my printer hooked up first, lol!) to see how this goes. I can't wait to try it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mixi
« Reply #65 on: May 27, 2006 10:32:13 AM »

i decided to have a go with it and i registered my "experiment."
i posted it here - http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=97789.msg924541#msg924541
there are some questions and conclusions.  feel free to post your coments, questions...and if you have answers that would be great too!   Cheesy
« Last Edit: May 27, 2006 10:35:55 AM by mixi » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Annabel

(already) 10 days of happiness

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 04, 2006 08:58:03 AM »

This thread is a real mine of information!

I do have one question though -- I'd like to embed some blades of grass, and also a little mimosa bloom and wonder if anyone knows whether the chlorophyll in the grass will seep out over time and also the best way to make sure that no air gets trapped in the pollen of the mimosa.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
diosaperdida
« Reply #67 on: June 14, 2006 04:31:10 AM »

Diane B...you are such an amazing help, in so many ways. I learn so much by reading your posts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.diosaperdida.net  - My website
http://knittingbare.blogspot.com/ painting, knitting, whatever...it's all art
http://painting.craftgossip.com/  decorative painting techniques, projects and product info.
PinkyK
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: June 22, 2006 01:20:09 PM »

I was considering making some coasters with resin.  Does anyone have any suggestions for molds? I've seen lots of suggestions for small things but not for large. I have thought of a few things but they are not smooth or flat on the bottom which means they would not work as a coaster. I decided to check with the experts.  That'd be all of you!  Wink

Suggestions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Neigung
« Reply #69 on: June 22, 2006 01:24:16 PM »

How about MC-5 or MC-6?  3" diameter circle or 3" square...

http://eti-usa.com/consum/castresn/castresn.htm#mcmolds
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alenecouture.etsy.com - updated: 13/04/09
alenecouture.blogspot.com  - updated: 06/01/09
Find Me on Facebook !
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 172 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to do a Graduated Bob with Shattered Layer - Part 1
How to do the Ace of Spades Cut - Part 2
How to do the Ace of Spades Cut - Part 1
How to Curl Hair with A Flat Iron
How to change an Old Hairstyle for a New Look
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Art Caddy
Everyone needs more fiber!
April 29, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...