A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
October 5th News Announcement:  New Featured Projects posted!  Congratulate these artists for being selected!
Total Members: 308,444
Currently Running With Scissors:
234 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 172
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The random RESIN question thread!  (Read 403702 times)
Tags for this thread: resin , mold , catalyst , resin_problems  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists

Cookie Monster LOVE!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1680 on: July 06, 2012 07:44:17 PM »

Yes, that what I thought. I decided to go out and purchase a new kit, and now I have been pouring in molds. So far I am waiting on a different batch with a different plan. Hope it comes out well!

I am up for private swap for Teesha Moore patches!! PM me if  you are interested! :-D
« Reply #1681 on: July 11, 2012 03:51:10 PM »

Actually, even though it says you cant, you CAN cast more than 1/8th inch piece with envirotex lite.  I do it all the time and my pieces come out just fine.  I've been working with envirotex for several years now and never had any issue with deep molds.  I think the thickest mold i've done was 3 inches.
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1682 on: July 12, 2012 10:54:26 AM »

Whether deeper layers of (regular) epoxy resin will work out (and be perfectly clear) also has to do with humidity levels and temperature at all points, any inclusions, type of mold, age, etc...so may work deeper or not, and sometimes won't know for which reasons.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012 10:54:47 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

few of my photos
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
« Reply #1683 on: September 16, 2012 03:48:54 PM »

I have been doing resin jewelry for about a year and have never run into my current problem. Here it goes.

I have sanded down my pendants to the shape I want. I washed the sanded resin away and let them dry overnight. When I went to put a thin layer of resin over the pieces to finish them, the resin will not stick. Thinking perhaps I mixed wrong. I tossed the batch and started over. Same problem! Maybe I didn't let them dry enough. So that was last weekend.

I went out to my work bench today and tried again. Same problem. I was attempting to put a thin coat with a toothpick, the resin almost appears to dry up on contact with the pendant. It leaves a weird, spotty finish. I'm stumped. I have busted my butt over these pendants so I may have to figure out another way to finish them (any ideas?), but any clues as to what is happening? Only thing I did differently on these is I got a higher grit sandpaper.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2012 03:54:34 PM by chels82 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1684 on: September 22, 2012 11:30:06 AM »

Chels, I'm not sure how to fix your problem, but since you've been doing resin for a year, maybe you could give me some help? I just did a resin piece, sanded it and whatnot, the whole shebang. Now, though, there's small holes all over it filled with the residual resin "powder" from the sanding. Is there any way I can fix this? Or do I have to start all over? If I have to start all over, I'm going to be bummed. Sad

I've never been able to do a swap, but I'd LOVE to do one! Especially a personal swap!
I'm a huge fan of Harry Potter, AVPM, AVPS, Glee..eh, let's just say anything geekwise. Wink
OHAI! Check out my blog? http://theninjaherself.wordpress.com
« Reply #1685 on: February 21, 2013 08:19:09 PM »

I have a plan for some resin and paper butterflies punched out of old paint chips.  Has anyone put resin on paint-chips before?  Do I need-need to seal it, or is it okay without?

When in doubt, use more glue!

Look Ma, I'm on Ravelry!
Feel free to check out my Etsy shop.

Creative for Charity ~My Charity Blog
« Reply #1686 on: March 16, 2013 05:05:09 AM »

agreed - anyone know where to find plastic/resin plugs that are able to be filled/coated/etc with resin? Plug blanks or molds etc? for ear gauges i mean...

Pour yourself a drink, put on some lipstick, and pull yourself together.

« Reply #1687 on: June 01, 2013 11:50:02 AM »

I ALWAYS get just the tiniest bit of dust or something on my resin, no matter what I do. It will be PERFECT, then while it dries, something falls into it. Even if I check it every hour for a couple of hours, then finally decide it looks good enough to leave alone til dried, it always ends up with some kind of debris on top! And I keep them covered!  I see resin items all the time that are perfectly beautiful, and it frustrates me that I have not turned out ONE perfect resin item! And I have made over 100 items!

Is there any way to remove a dust particle or air bubble in cured resin? I know the only thing that really "melts" resin is acetone, so would pouring a little acetone on the top and letting just the very top melt work? or is that going to leave a gloppy mess?  What about pouring another layer of resin over it? Would that hide the debris? Or will it just show right through?

THANKS! Smiley
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1688 on: June 01, 2013 12:22:44 PM »

What are you covering your resin WITH, and HOW? 

Some things will be made from materials that can shed little bits which can get onto the resin.

Are you covering the entire mold and resin, or just covering the resin areas?

When are you covering?...right away, or later?

What kind of area are you using for curing?...and area with lots of dust or lots of air circulation?

Try covering the mold with something larger than it is (width, length, height), like a Tupperware bottom or large cardboard box, or even a dome of aluminum foil.
Do that right away, and preferably in a room that isn't in a drafty or dusty place (and where the temp is in the right range for curing resin).

(To remove any dust or other particles, you'd need to sand down far enough to remove them, then polish the resin and/or coat it with clear polyurethane or a coat of epoxy resin. Sanding cured resin isn't easy though.  If you just added a coat of polyurethane or epoxy resin over your original resin-with-particles, they'd still show up.)

few of my photos
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
« Reply #1689 on: June 01, 2013 12:36:52 PM »

I cover the whole item. Usually with a plastic cup. Always something bigger than the item.

I always cover it right away. Then I check on it once or twice during curing to make sure nothing has landed on it.

I have several places I do my resin. I have a small office, but there is not much ventilation there and I am overpowered by fumes.  Usually it is my basment. A large airy space so that I don't suffocate. It is not dusty at all. Not that you can see with the naked eye anyway.

What would I use to sand down the resin? Sandpaper? Or is there something specific for resin sanding? I have no problem doing the extra work to sand it down. It is a lot better than starting all over! Most of my projects have paper as the base, so when I soak the resin off the pendant, I also lose my paper or photo.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 172 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: No Sew Candy Costume
Awww, nuts...
Countdown to Halloween

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...