A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
October News Announcement: Crafting your Halloween costume this year?  Enter it for a chance to win prizes!  Read the spooktacular details here.
Total Members: 308,411
Currently Running With Scissors:
380 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 172
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The random RESIN question thread!  (Read 402914 times)
Tags for this thread: resin , mold , catalyst , resin_problems  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« Reply #1580 on: July 09, 2010 11:31:52 AM »

I'm not sure if this is the place for this post or not but last night I made some resin casts for pendants in a round painter's palette and in a square painter's palette. I wiped the molds with vegetable oil before pouring in the resin and this morning the round molds popped right out but the square ones are stuck in there (yikes!!).
Jenny Smiley

PS - I've read all the resin posts which have been really informative but I couldn't find anything about this particular question Smiley

I know this post was really old, but I've been thinking about using vegetable oil as a release in candy molds (I currently have some that are seriously stuck, but the ones I managed to get out turned out awesome, so I want to keep using them).  My question though, does the vegetable oil effect the clarity and/or smoothness of the resin on the side that it's touching?  Thanks to anyone that can help!

my photography website  http://www.ambersteele.com

Be true to yourself and you will never fall. -Beastie Boys
Craftito ergo sum...

Do your dream

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1581 on: July 18, 2010 10:22:25 AM »

First let me send my loving thoughts to you and your family.

I was drawn to this post as I lost my father to murder as well and for some reason needed the same connection as your mother is wanting.

I have kept his hair in hopes of finding a resin artist that can help me with a mourning jewelry peice as well.

I would be so interested to see what you came up with.
In practicing with my own hair I did find that it was much easier to form the hair into the shapes that I wanted by wetting it first and then allowing it to dry in the shape I had set it in.

Much peace to your Mother...my heart goes out to you both....

I meant what I said and I said what I meant, an elephant's faithful 100%. Horton
« Reply #1582 on: July 19, 2010 11:16:37 AM »

Great thread! I used to live in Australia, where I made lots of resin jewellery with epoxy resin using this clear doming epoxy resin [url]http://www.solidsolutions.com.au/view_products.php?cat=39[/url

I am now living in Canada, and have been trying to find a supplier where I can order bulk epoxy resin. I am used to using a ratio that mixed by weight, but it seems that a lot of the ones here are mixed by volume.

Does anyone know anywhere I can buy epoxy resin (Canadian supplier would be ideal, but American could be OK) in bulk quantities? EasyCast seems to sell in sizes just up to 16oz.

Girl Silversmith. http://metalsmitten.etsy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1583 on: July 20, 2010 10:02:49 AM »

I am so sorry to hear.

I would recommend resin molds. Pour them half full of resin and let it start to set up, to where the resin is solidish but tacky, then place the hair, then pour a thin layer of resin to cover it and let that start to set, then fill completely. It will keep the hair from floating around too too much and should help minimize bubbles.

Good luck with everything.

hello color!
« Reply #1584 on: July 21, 2010 10:36:42 AM »

JLFB, I don't know if this is a good source for large quantities for epoxy in terms of price since I've never needed large quantities, but Douglas & Sturgess has very good prices on polyester resin, which is what I use when I have a larger project. They also have a lot of "accessories" that are hard to find anywhere else, e.g. fillers. You can find other suppliers of bulk epoxy if you use keywords like "fiberglass" or "marine".

I also prefer to measure by weight (don't know how anybody does it by volume!), but you can do that regardless of whether or not that's how it's designed to be used. Specific gravity (density) is always listed on the MSDS. For Easy Cast, resin is 1.15 gm/mL and hardener is 0.972 gm/mL. Just make sure to keep a calculator handy when measuring stuff out in case you add too much of one and need to figure out how much more of the other you need to add Wink

Out of curiousity, what do you make that requires so much resin?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010 12:39:58 PM by hello color! » THIS ROCKS   Logged
« Reply #1585 on: July 21, 2010 06:56:32 PM »

Thank you, hello color!

I think I might try both the EasyCast and maybe some polyester resin as well to see what I like best.

I am not making large products, but I would like to make lots of jewellery to sell at markets. I had a successful summer with this in Australia and I found it handy having a big cannister of resin that lasted me the whole summer. I just don't want to order lots of small bottles of resin when it might be cheaper to buy a bigger size.

Thanks also for the tip about the weight -it just seems to me that measuring by weight allows you to get a lot more precise.
« Reply #1586 on: July 24, 2010 10:09:02 AM »

I was wondering how you do separate colors in one mold, similar to this:

Also if the hole is not already in the mold, how do you put a hole in it?

Thanks!  Grin
"Never, ever give up" - Winston Churchill "Never, ever grow up" - Dr. Seuss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1587 on: July 24, 2010 10:44:17 AM »

Perhaps it isn't done in one mold?

Maybe the two distinct halves are done separately, then glued together, then a clear resin coat on top?

I believe holes in resin can be achieved with use of either a dremmel or a hand drill.

Good luck!

Shhhhhhhhh...it's Strictly Top Secret...
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1588 on: July 25, 2010 09:07:46 AM »

It's probably done using a rectangular mold while it's standing on one of its short ends... with the bottom color poured first then allowed to gel or completely harden, and then pouring the other color section.  To hold the resin in the mold, some kind of backing or dam could have been used (duct or some other tapes, modeling clay, and other things).

Some of those methods might require sanding to smooth them really well or to remove any flashing or color where it wasn't supposed to be (then polishing).

I don't know about the white stripe though...could have been painted or perhaps created with a premade resin shape added while making the red section, or could even have been made with the mold tilted at a 45 degree angle.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010 09:09:54 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

few of my photos
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
Tutorial Contributor

Live - Love - Create

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1589 on: July 29, 2010 02:45:58 AM »

Hi Pepsi Twist.

Given the nature of the seller's other items I would suggest that the resin is laminated, much like with wood. The different colours and shapes would be cast separately and then joined together with a thin film of resin. Once the piece is set it would be shaped and sanded to the required finish.

The other option would be using a dam. You can use things like Klean Klay and plasticines to create a dam wall in your moulds. You would squash the clay into the mould to make a wall and pour the resin into the half you want to fill. Once it is firm, remove the dam and cast your next colour. I would doubt this is the way these particular pendants are made though. The lines are very crisp and straight and that's something that would be hard to achieve with a dam.

Come visit me Smiley
Website - Gallery - Blog - Tutorials - Store

Our collaborative craft blog!
Hand Made-n's
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 172 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Mermaid Tail Blanket
October 19, 2016 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Vanilla Extract

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...