A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,103
Currently Running With Scissors:
456 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 172
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The random RESIN question thread!  (Read 260848 times)
Tags for this thread: resin , cloudiness , mold , catalyst , tacky_resin , resin_problems  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1510 on: April 11, 2010 10:27:41 AM »

I read up about how bubbles will be normal and that with Easy Cast resin, it will automatically degas itself.

(All the resins can have bubbles, and they can all be treated the same in terms of getting rid of any that don't pop on their own--not true just for Easy Cast.)

When I used my hairdryer on the resin to release the bubbles, I saw some raise to the top and disappear VERY slowly. But most hang around at the bottom and they seem stationary :O

You don't say if you used the hair dryer right from the very first bubble or waited a while.  It won't hurt to wait and the resin will be warmer then so bubbles should rise more quickly.  You should also try the straw-blowing or match method...those may also work better for you (and little or no dust).

I did warm up the bottles before I used them, and they felt warm to the touch so I'm sure I did that right!

It would be good to also store the bottles at those temps too though just so you can be sure that every bit of the resin even in the center of the bottles is warm enough.

with CastinCraft Easy Mold

I hadn't realized that Castin Craft was now also making a silicone putty.  I looked it up, and it may be that that brand is more like the Amazing Mold Putty than the "better-quality" silicone putties.  It has a relatively low heat tolerance like AMP (400 F, instead of 600-700) and a longer working time like AMP has (25 min, instead of 5-10 min), so it may also not have the smoothest surface (also like AMP).   I don't know that for sure though, just inferring from the stats.

I am trying to make 1 inch resin domes ...I worry that maybe with the small amounts that I use, they just end up cooling down while they're exposed to air for the 3 minutes of mixing and double mixing.

Three minutes might be more than you need, but don't know if that would make a difference.  Most times the first stirring is recommended for 1-2 min, then another 30 seconds for the second... that's for regular epoxy resins anyway.
The working time for regular epoxy resins is about 20 minutes so that should be okay (though I don't know the working time of the tweaked epoxy Easy Cast...guess it could be different). 
Do be sure not to work in direct sunlight though since that could speed up the reaction time.
(And for best hardness, pour and cure when humidity is below 50%).

As for the amount, are you mixing a really small amount--just to pour one or two molds, for example? Don't know that there would be problems from too little though. 
And the air shouldn't be a cooling-down problem since the resin creates its own heat from the chemical reaction happening during curing.  A thin pour will take longer to set up than a thick one though (since less mass to create heat).

Diane B.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2010 10:30:36 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
sandracb
« Reply #1511 on: April 11, 2010 03:34:58 PM »

Lookin to get a little help, tried searching this topic but was very overwhelmed trying to find an answer Smiley

Basically what I"m trying to do is put an image or sicker at the forefront of the mold, then glitter or candy behind it.  Candy background I really dont have an issue.  I do have an issue with glitter.  I have tried layering but the issue I have is the glitter rolls around and then i basically have glitter spots throughout the back of the piece making it look untidy and unprofessional.  

How do you guys do it? Do you mix glitter with the resin in a cup instead of putting the glitter directly into the mold?  Layering simply just isnt working with the glitter directly in the molds.

Also, does anyone have any good places to buy blanks for necklaces and rings? seems like they're pretty expensive, all the sites i've found sell for 1-2 dollars each Sad
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010 04:58:44 PM by sandracb » THIS ROCKS   Logged
sandracb
« Reply #1512 on: April 11, 2010 06:14:25 PM »

I use Pledge with "Future shine" floor polish.  I brush it on with a paint brush, roughly 2-3 coats.  Makes them shine even better than fresh out of the mold!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1513 on: April 12, 2010 10:06:08 AM »

Yep, should have mentioned Future (or Mop 'N Glo) too...those floor polishes are also tough and shiny, but aren't UV-resistant like some of the polyurethanes.  They're also thinner.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
sandracb
« Reply #1514 on: April 16, 2010 07:31:37 AM »

Anyone?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Seraphina_de_Sangre
The Daredevil Sky Pirate

Down to a 12 and shedding more lbs. everyday!

View Profile
« Reply #1515 on: April 16, 2010 08:44:19 AM »

I've tried the pour onto glitter method and that doesn't work, stirring the glitter (or in my case fauz gold leaf) into the resin and then pouring worked for me because the resin is forming a coat onto the pieces of glitter.

try etsy for the blanks, they average about $4-5 dollars for 2-3 blanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Swaps
Multi-Themed Steampunk Swap

Wist
PinkyK
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1516 on: April 19, 2010 08:43:47 AM »

Lookin to get a little help, tried searching this topic but was very overwhelmed trying to find an answer Smiley

Basically what I"m trying to do is put an image or sicker at the forefront of the mold, then glitter or candy behind it.  Candy background I really dont have an issue.  I do have an issue with glitter.  I have tried layering but the issue I have is the glitter rolls around and then i basically have glitter spots throughout the back of the piece making it look untidy and unprofessional.  

How do you guys do it? Do you mix glitter with the resin in a cup instead of putting the glitter directly into the mold?  Layering simply just isnt working with the glitter directly in the molds.

Also, does anyone have any good places to buy blanks for necklaces and rings? seems like they're pretty expensive, all the sites i've found sell for 1-2 dollars each Sad

I mix it in 2 layers. 1st the layer with the sticker then the layer with the glitter. I mix the glitter with the resin and catalyst in a cup then pour it into the mold.

I also have purchased many supplies via etsy. I just do a search under supplies and compare.

Someone asked about bubbles.... After the resin is poured I blow on the resin through a straw as the resin cures. Essentially I'm blowing out the bubbles as they appear.  That gets rid of my bubbles.

ammasmama - your hearts look just like red glittery roses I made! Fabulous!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

taraston
« Reply #1517 on: April 19, 2010 05:24:52 PM »

When I did my halloween necklaces I poured half in then let it dry and I used Elmers glitter glues right in the mold. Let it dry then poured the second half of the pendant.
Like this one

Or let it dry til tacky and added glitter to the back then poured very little so I could swirl it and place more glitter, let it dry then poured the final layer.
There are pictures here of a few I did
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=324475.msg3745995#msg3745995
I am planning on doing a peep bunny necklace sometime this summer but am afraid the sugar will go wonky like glitter and the marshmellow will melt. Won't know til I try!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

May a sunbeam warm you, a moonbeam charm you, and a craft idea hit like monkeys flinging poo.
sandracb
« Reply #1518 on: April 21, 2010 01:14:48 AM »

I have a friend who has made a custom request that I think is a little beyond my knowledge in resin.  They want something similar to this:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/45126241/reflections-translucent-resin-necklace
or this:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/40816769/yellow-flower-resin-spoon-necklace?ref=vl_other_1

Except not that exact thing obviously.  They want something with fairies.  I can get a general idea on how they made it, but where does one find a silhouette image like that? I own a cricut so I thought that might be a possibility to try.  Any other thoughts?

THIS ROCKS   Logged
punkin1028
« Reply #1519 on: April 21, 2010 09:47:27 AM »

Wow those are very cool. I think the first one was a print out of that paticular artists work. The spoons the crafter says are graphic designs. So printed out? not sure about that one sorry. Because even if you printed the silhouette out I couldn't imagine cutting out the image and getting it so precise like those appear to be. Good luck.
Gweny
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 172 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Write Like an Architect
How to Design Like an Architect
How to be an Architect - Part 6
How to Be an Architect Part 1
How to Be an Architect Part 2
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...