A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 307,935
Currently Running With Scissors:
346 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 172
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The random RESIN question thread!  (Read 392458 times)
Tags for this thread: resin , mold , catalyst , resin_problems  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

woodland_faerie
craftie Woodland faerie

Sewing feral faerie creature TEXTURE YUM

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1270 on: March 20, 2009 12:57:55 PM »

How do i dip acorns in resin without them flaking?
I dipped my acorns in reason and measured it out perfectly and did everything like i normally do with resin mixes but when i dipped my acorns after a couple of days the resin began to flake off. Do i need to get rid of the oils inside of them first? How do i cure them?  do they need to be cured? Dried out please help i have a very important acorn i would like to put as a pendant and i want it to last a very long time any other suggestions? i tried like 4 times!:D
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Watch out for toadstool rings!
www.wists.com/woodland_faerie
I love personal swaps we can do one with faerie clothing just ask! I've got a vintage fabric for trade
deeflutterby
« Reply #1271 on: March 23, 2009 05:51:58 PM »

Great question...sorry dont have an answer, but hope someone else does. Sounds like a neat idea!

I was gonna try doing some pinecones in resin.  Not sure how that would work.  We have a tree that has dropped thousands of small pinecones and thought they would be cool to put in resin.  Might just have to give it a try. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lynnie71
« Reply #1272 on: March 23, 2009 06:06:06 PM »

Woodland...I am not really a resin girl, but my first thought when I read your post was to dry the acorn out first...With a spare acorn try putting it in the oven on a low temp for a while and drying it out that way and then after it cools maybe try the resin again.  Like I said I am a resin novice, but that's what I would try.  Please let us know if you find out what works!  Good Luck
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eyeofra
Crafty McCraftster

View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: March 27, 2009 07:58:17 AM »

Can I store unused resin (that already has hardener mixed in it)? I saw something on here about those liquid medicine bottles but I'm not clear on it. And how long can I keep it in one of the squeeze ketchup-style bottles before the resin eats through the plastic. I really don't want to keep on mixing up 1 oz. amounts each time I do a layer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
photochickkds

"I love swaps!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1274 on: March 27, 2009 08:36:46 AM »

its going to harden in that container. theres no way to store resin after its already mixed
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I feel when I'm old I'll look at you and know the world was beautiful"

MAJOR ETSY SALE!
HELP ME CLEAR OUT MY STOCK!!! EVERYTHING MAJORLY DISCOUNTED!!!
www.redsundesigns.etsy.com
trixie.m
« Reply #1275 on: March 27, 2009 08:03:57 PM »

***Apologies in advance if this has already been answered***

Hello! Just want to know what paper you guys use when embedding images in resin? I tried using white cardstock with spray sealer on each side inbetween a layer of clear and a layer of black resin and the black color seems to be showing through. Would photo paper work better or something sturdier than 65lb cardstock? Thanks!!!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009 08:04:56 PM by trixie.m » THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.MackerelMade.Etsy.com
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1276 on: March 28, 2009 08:18:16 AM »

I think perhaps you just didn't seal the paper well enough. 

A couple of light mistings of spray acrylic sealer should generally work for plain paper (drying between each), but it would be even better to then coat that with a bit of permanent white glue (like Elmers GlueAll, thinned down 3 or 4 to 1 with water, then let dry), or with the resin itself (then let cure)... then embed.

Especially with the thicker papers, the edges are also porous so the resin can get in from there, and it can be hard to spray all edges well to seal them.

HTH,

Diane B.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009 08:20:00 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
YourDadsMistress
« Reply #1277 on: March 31, 2009 06:56:14 AM »

Soon to work with Resin again. However, I havent been able to master picture size to fit into the mold correctly so that the whole pendant is projecting the picture. I am going to be using primarily paint palettes for the molds, but have purchased shaped molds. My question is... how do you all get the pictures the right size? Do you take a test piece of jewelry and outline it onto the picture forthe template? Lets say I want to embed a picture half way deep into the domed mold of a paint palette... how do I get the size? Or do I need to put the picture at the top of the mold ( the flat part ) and just glue it in?

Also, I have some thick plastic cups ( reusable not disposable ) that I painted on with paint markers. I am looking to seal the paint onto the cup. How do I do this/what do I need to use? Would I be able to 'paint' resin on the cup without it melting the cup or ruining the painting for a permanent piece of art?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
titancia
Are you a good twin or a bad twin?

It's Thistle with a Bobo on her head!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1278 on: March 31, 2009 07:13:13 AM »

I can't help with your cup question, YourDadsMistress, I haven't been too adventurous with the uses of it, but as for the paint pallet thing, have you tried a circle cutter? Fiskar's has an adjustable one that I purchased because I have button makers, but it works for this as well. You can make circles until you get the size you want (so that it sits where you want in the resin) and tighten the arm to "lock" it in place. I even glued the arm on one of my circle cutters (I have 2 or 3) so that it won't change size when I go to cut out that particular size for buttons. You might be able to find a circle punch that works, too, but I think the circle cutter is a good investment because you can adjust it to fit whichever size you'd like.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
haroldlovesmaude
Yossarian Lives!

I see the fire, I see the end.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1279 on: April 06, 2009 05:45:17 PM »

Can you color resin with food coloring?
If I don't buy "mold release" will it adhere to the mold or will it just be harder to get out?
Also, is resin hard? It doesn't look too hard but from some other posts on here it seems like it is a difficult task... I will be trying it for the first time this weekend.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"They had not brains enough to be introverted and repressed." -Catch-22
etsy shop & faves
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 172 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Hand-Bound Book
A Little Birdie Told Me
Meatless Monday: Stuffed Butternut Squash

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...