A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 316,603
Currently Running With Scissors:
220 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 172
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The random RESIN question thread!  (Read 398469 times)
Tags for this thread: resin , mold , catalyst , resin_problems  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Javalita
« Reply #1120 on: November 11, 2008 07:20:23 AM »

Glitter techniques...?

I have read all glitter references in this thread and see various points along my lines, but nothing directly talking about your favorite technique.  Thus far, I have been pouring a very thin layer of resin, curing, pouring a tiny bit more to add embelishments, ADDING SOME GLITTER, pouring more resin and then just covering with GLITTER.  Eventually the last glitter which is piled on top soaks in. 

However, it sometimes overflows.  I'm thinking that there is a better, easier way.  I've seen various notes about it on this thread.

Do you mix glitter into resin and then pour into molds?
Do you just pour glitter in to mold and let it mix in?  If so, how do you keep overflow?  Maybe you don't fill it to the top and do a tiny pour for the back after the piece has cured.

Thanks!  I've got some experiments going on, but I hate to waste resin and embeds if I can learn from you all instead.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dreambelle
Beta Sigma Phi

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1121 on: November 11, 2008 11:42:26 AM »

I've also heard about DG3 art gel, also from JudiKins, which is even more clear than Diamond Glaze.  The blogger talking about it said that it isn't water resistant.

What have fellow Craftsters tried and liked?

Here is a post about DG3 art gel, and a youtube tutorial video: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=272970.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissDisney
will you take me to gang practice? yis?

You will never guess

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1122 on: November 11, 2008 12:34:46 PM »

I have not read every post yet so sorry if this has already been addressed but I tried resin for the first time the other day and I tried to put pictures in the pendants but they all floated to the top. Should I have waited for the resin to set some before I put in the pictures? Also I thought maybe I should have poured half and then added the picture then pour the other half. I don't know! I also wanted to know how can I embed items inside the resin...coat them in resin first or just drop them in? Any help would be great! Thanks!

i use 2 techniques

1. set a thin layer of resin, then coat the picture with resin and place it where i want it...then cover the whole thing with resin

2. put the picture in the botom, add a little resin and then move the pic with my stir stick, then fill the entire cavity and let it set

i usually have the issue of whatever i add sinking, so i dont know how to solve the floating problem...but both those ways work pretty well for me

if you need more detail, i can do that, i just woke up though lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i think im back....9 months almost to the day but i miss art, and i missed you guys!
ledleeaf
« Reply #1123 on: November 11, 2008 03:05:25 PM »

Glitter techniques...?

I like to mix the glitter and resin together before the pour into a thick paste, like lots of glitter in there, and then what you end up with has a really cool texture and is opaque.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sparklz
« Reply #1124 on: November 20, 2008 04:56:17 AM »

Hi all resin fanatics....I am wanting to know what the best sort of glue is to stick things to resin pieces.  I have used superglue to stick some gems onto hair clips but the glue is coming off.  It seems to be sticking to the resin but not the clip...any suggestions.. thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Neigung
« Reply #1125 on: November 20, 2008 03:25:01 PM »

You want glue that has some give to it.  I just use epoxy from the hardware store... this is for stuff that doesn't touch skin.

I found out the hard way the other day, cold resin is really brittle.  I broke a larger piece into 5 shards trying to unmold it, because it was too cool. Should have let it warm up a bit first!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

alenecouture.etsy.com - updated: 13/04/09
alenecouture.blogspot.com  - updated: 06/01/09
Find Me on Facebook !
ledleeaf
« Reply #1126 on: November 21, 2008 09:19:52 AM »

I use E600 glue, it works great!  It's the one in the gray tube.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PinkyK
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1127 on: November 22, 2008 09:18:28 AM »

I found out the hard way the other day, cold resin is really brittle.  I broke a larger piece into 5 shards trying to unmold it, because it was too cool. Should have let it warm up a bit first!

I had a piece shatter too, just the other day. It was crazy! I didn't realize just how chilly it was.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Melissa1982
« Reply #1128 on: November 22, 2008 09:37:04 AM »

Hi there. I made my first of resin things yesterday. I haven't popped them out of the molds yet, but I can see that there is a problem. I wanted to make a key chain for my mom, and put those little round letter beads in it to spell 'Mamaw' (what my daughter calls her) and I put glitter on top. I see that the black from the letters has run...How do I prevent this? Do I need to seal the letter bead with something?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DIY ho
ho ho ho

I'm a total Dean girl. I mean, YUM.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1129 on: November 22, 2008 02:54:20 PM »

Hi there. I made my first of resin things yesterday. I haven't popped them out of the molds yet, but I can see that there is a problem. I wanted to make a key chain for my mom, and put those little round letter beads in it to spell 'Mamaw' (what my daughter calls her) and I put glitter on top. I see that the black from the letters has run...How do I prevent this? Do I need to seal the letter bead with something?

I wish I could help, since I've used letter beads before, but mine didn't bleed. Sorry. Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 172 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrap Busting Artwork
Let's Monkey Around!
Meatless Monday: Lemon Cornmeal Waffles

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...