A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,727
Currently Running With Scissors:
596 Guests and 41 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 172
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The random RESIN question thread!  (Read 283407 times)
Tags for this thread: resin , mold , catalyst , resin_problems  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kimiao
« Reply #1100 on: October 30, 2008 01:51:35 PM »

If I were given a choice, I'd choose the resin with 1:1 ratio in a heartbeat! Unfortunately, we don't have that here. I just bought my poly resin at a fiberglass shop. They have the laminating epoxy but the ratio is 2:1 and the hardener has this hint of amber color. If I use that, my cured pieces would turn out yellow/orange. As for my experiment with cling wrap, I tried it last night and I must say, the sticky top lessened. The sides, I'm still working on it. I'm going to make another batch later, cover it with cling wrap and try my best to forget about it for the next 24 hours.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hello color!
« Reply #1101 on: October 30, 2008 05:30:48 PM »

jeez hello color you are so negative about everything...first respirators and junk and now this. i dont see what was too bad about the video. its pretty simple stuff as is so i think it was ok. its a good start for people

Yes, when I answered your question about respirators, wasn't it mean of me to tell you the truth instead of what you wanted to hear? Wouldn't it have been nicer if I had put a sock in it instead of told you that it's not safe to cast resin without a respirator, and that your not wanting to buy one is not gonna change that*? Oh, and when doctors tell people to stop smoking cause it's not too good for the lungs - are they also being negative? Let's all pretend we are surrounded by rainbows and unicorns, and we'll all live happily ever after!

Unless, of course, we watch the video, believe that it's true because it's published by Craft Magazine and because nobody told us any better, spend our money on the recommended supplies, take the time to make the molds, - only to have everything turn out like crap. Which is bound to happen, because that video is not a good start. (And if you still think that it is, feel free to explain what they'd have to have done for you to consider it a bad one.) I don't know about you, but I'd rather have someone tell me what's up, regardless of whether or not it's negative, so I don't end up wasting my time and money. Of which you seemed quite protective in the case of the respirator, by the way, so if your position is suddenly changed, - well, I'll say no more!

*Actually, I made sure to phrase it much less offensively in my original post, but since that didn't work, here's what I really wanted to say.

They have the laminating epoxy but the ratio is 2:1 and the hardener has this hint of amber color. If I use that, my cured pieces would turn out yellow/orange.

Not necessarily: even if one of the Easy Cast bottles is yellow, after you mix it, the yellow clears up. The chemical species that's colored reacts and turns into something else which is not colored. I also wouldn't worry about the mixing ratio. If it's not too expensive, I'd give it a try.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1102 on: October 30, 2008 05:53:26 PM »

Hey Guys! Let's keep it polite! We are all here to share, not to bicker. I know some of you have strong feelings, and you are more than welcome to share, but demeaning comments will not be tolerated. Let's keep the focus on the love of crafting and not arguing.

Thanks for your cooperation!

Your friendly local mod,

Batgirl

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
kimiao
« Reply #1103 on: October 30, 2008 10:15:24 PM »

Not necessarily: even if one of the Easy Cast bottles is yellow, after you mix it, the yellow clears up. The chemical species that's colored reacts and turns into something else which is not colored. I also wouldn't worry about the mixing ratio. If it's not too expensive, I'd give it a try.

I called them yesterday and asked about the laminating epoxy. She told me that using laminating epoxy isn't recommended for encapsulation because it will not give the clear finish that I want. The laminating epoxy is primarily used for boats. I really want to try but they don't have it in small containers. They only sell 3 gallons worth of laminating resin for about $40. I'm afraid if I buy it and doesn't work, I'd be stuck with that and will have no choice but to throw it away. Waste of resin, waste of money.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008 10:18:41 PM by kimiao » THIS ROCKS   Logged
mommadear
« Reply #1104 on: October 31, 2008 09:49:42 AM »

I personally didn't think the video was to good either. If I was starting out I would be a little intimidated after watching that and think twice about doing it. I'm not sure if it was posted on this thread but I'm sure it's on craftster somewhere, anyway this video (by John W. Golden) really helped me out
Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAEKnv0OU08
Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_Xn-xf_GqY
I think he has a craftster account too. He also has one on UV resin!!!! I'm gonna need to check that out.
Have any of you ever done UV resin before???
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kimiao
« Reply #1105 on: October 31, 2008 09:38:14 PM »

I just removed the cured resin from the mold and covering it with cling wrap for 24 hours definitely worked! It doesn't have any sticky parts anymore.  Wink Btw, can I use clear acrylic spray as my finish for the resin? I want the finish to be clear, glossy and shiny. I tried the acrylic varnish and sealer by semco but it left brush marks on the resin. TIA!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008 10:41:33 PM by kimiao » THIS ROCKS   Logged
mommadear
« Reply #1106 on: November 01, 2008 07:14:48 AM »

Hooray kimiao!!! I'm glad you figured out your problem!! So awhile ago I posted a question asking what everyone uses to mix their resin in (if there was anything I would be able to use and reuse) I bought a set of 3 plastic measuring cups, I mix my resin in it, use what I need (usually all of it) and after everything is cured the resin in the measuring cup usually is so I "pop the seal" and peel it out  Grin It's worked very well for me so far so I thought I'd let you guys know!!! Happy crafting!!! And late halloween  Smiley I love these pumpkins!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Javalita
« Reply #1107 on: November 01, 2008 08:40:05 AM »

Hooray kimiao!!! I'm glad you figured out your problem!! So awhile ago I posted a question asking what everyone uses to mix their resin in (if there was anything I would be able to use and reuse) I bought a set of 3 plastic measuring cups, I mix my resin in it, use what I need (usually all of it) and after everything is cured the resin in the measuring cup usually is so I "pop the seal" and peel it out  Grin It's worked very well for me so far so I thought I'd let you guys know!!! Happy crafting!!! And late halloween  Smiley I love these pumpkins!!!!

That is a great tip!!!  I finished using all my disposable ones and it annoys me to no end that I have to waste so much in making resin pieces.  Reusing the measuring cups is a great idea. 

Are these just the typical knock-off Pyrex type measuring cups in hard plastic?  So you don't measure hardener and resin in separate containers and then add together into the third?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mommadear
« Reply #1108 on: November 01, 2008 10:06:56 AM »

That is a great tip!!!  I finished using all my disposable ones and it annoys me to no end that I have to waste so much in making resin pieces.  Reusing the measuring cups is a great idea. 

Are these just the typical knock-off Pyrex type measuring cups in hard plastic?  So you don't measure hardener and resin in separate containers and then add together into the third?
Yup! Cheapo knockoffs gotta love them! Its nice pouring with the little spout too, makes it easier for me. They were about three bucks and you can kinda bend them...bends not the best word but its the only one I can think of right now, I think it helps to loosen the resin too. I used to mark the measurement on plastic cups then mix them but that got to be to time consuming, pricey, and unnecessary garbage so I thought I would try this and so far its worked great. I use epoxy resin, pour the resin first and then the hardener..sometimes I use two of the cups to make sure its mixed good but I haven't had any problems just using one for everything.
Darn the pumpkins are gone Sad
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008 10:11:19 AM by mommadear » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kimmermonroe

Remembers when Polymer clay only came in white..

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1109 on: November 01, 2008 04:46:34 PM »

I measured, I mixed, a filled the molds.... I waited 3 days and it never set. I'm thinking maybe the mold was to thick? But I used thinner molds and they never set either?
Now I have resin goo in all my molds!!!!!
I love these molds.....Help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 172 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Making Tilefish with Tomatoes and Pineapples at Zelko Bistro
How a Boudin Sausage Is Made
Popcorn Lovers Day Party Snack Ideas
Smoked Foods Take Over American Menus
Patriotic Picnic Basket Ideas for the 4th of July
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...