A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,714
Currently Running With Scissors:
670 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 172
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The random RESIN question thread!  (Read 272665 times)
Tags for this thread: resin , mold , catalyst , resin_problems  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MissDisney
will you take me to gang practice? yis?

You will never guess

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #980 on: July 26, 2008 11:07:54 PM »

which type of resin do you want to use?

for polyester resin it goes as such:

1. get all your supplies ready, even your embeds, right at the start:
resin
catalyst
mold
cup
stirrer
mask
gloves
anything you are gonna put in the pendants
color if you have it

2. mix your resin with your catalyst (it varies about how much you need, but the bottle and instructions will give you a good idea) mix for at least one minute, scraping down the sides

3. pour resin into mold, about halfway depending on what you are adding...if you are only doing a few pendants, and you still want to embed paper (usually requires a second pour) act fast, and it will still come out great, just remember there may be bubbles and there will be curling if you just put the paper in

4. Let the first layer cure for about 45 minutes to an hour (depending on your humidity levels)

5. mix more resin, add color or glitter or whatever, pour into each of your previous mold cavaties until they reach the top (obviously work on a level surface, and something portable that will remain level)

6. again, depending on your humidity levels, they will be completely cured in 24-72 hours

7. pop out the pendants and attach bails, drill holes, or whatever you are gonna do to make it actually function as a pendant

8. sand any rough edges (i use 3 different sand paper grits, the finest being 1200 i think) buff with a t-shirt or piece of denim (thats what i do at least) and seal if necessary (its almost always necessary for me to seal the backs) with a clear finish, or even acrylic paint, then a sealer, that works too

hope that helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i think im back....9 months almost to the day but i miss art, and i missed you guys!
*lguernsey*
« Reply #981 on: July 30, 2008 11:03:59 AM »

okay I have read all 98 pages of this thread and I still have a question? I live in a very small town, I spent all day saterday looking for resin and the only type I could find was from walmarts, I want to make jewerly with it, it is made by bondo a automotive resin, fiberglass resin with hardener, household, marine, automotive, will this work, should i buy or should i not, it was only 10.97 for a 32 oz bottle.. please any advice!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Live, Love, and laugh often..
http://deepseasparkle.blogspot.com/
MissDisney
will you take me to gang practice? yis?

You will never guess

« Reply #982 on: July 31, 2008 03:25:57 AM »

i will test this stuff out, if its the same kinda stuff they used to fix my dad's chipped windshield, its prolly fine! i would love to find a cheaper resin (16 oz is like 17 bux, and when i use a coupon its still almost 10, next time i think im just gonna buy the bigger one)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i think im back....9 months almost to the day but i miss art, and i missed you guys!
DIY ho
ho ho ho

I'm a total Dean girl. I mean, YUM.

« Reply #983 on: July 31, 2008 09:32:58 AM »

okay I have read all 98 pages of this thread and I still have a question? I live in a very small town, I spent all day saterday looking for resin and the only type I could find was from walmarts, I want to make jewelry with it, it is made by bondo a automotive resin, fiberglass resin with hardener, household, marine, automotive, will this work, should i buy or should i not, it was only 10.97 for a 32 oz bottle.. please any advice!!!

I have no advice, except to reiterate the battle cry of craftsters everywhere: GO FOR IT!  Tongue Wink Cheesy

Try it, follow the directions, and let us know how it goes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yoli4071
« Reply #984 on: July 31, 2008 10:17:02 AM »

so i love resin and i'm so hooked. but i ran out of catalyst and i ordered some but dont know when it's coming. is there any where else that sells it while i wait? we dont have a michaels in this small town. but they are in the process of building one!  Grin i was thinking maybe home depot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LET THEM EAT CAKE!
*lguernsey*
« Reply #985 on: July 31, 2008 02:44:01 PM »

thank you, I will just have to try it, I found it in the automotive section, by the little bottles of paint for fixing paint chips, and they had extra packs of hardener you could buy seperate too...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*lguernsey*
« Reply #986 on: August 02, 2008 06:24:32 PM »

okay I tried the automotive resin last night, well this was the first time I have ever used resin, it set up quickly I made 4 oz and half of it was gelled before i could pour it, but it did work, it was a light reddish brown color when mixing and the final product is the same I tried to embed some pics and you cant see them, but it had no tackness this morning and is hard as a rock, I thought i might try to paint them to see what they look like then or put a touch of paint to it as mixing to see what happens, but I still wish they were clear.I am going to try to post pics for ya all...oh it came out of the molds super easy, I did spray them with pam, turned them over and out they fell..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jeneration pink
« Reply #987 on: August 02, 2008 06:40:03 PM »

lguernsey, i cant wait to see how your experiment went!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*lguernsey*
« Reply #988 on: August 02, 2008 07:14:01 PM »

http://www.craftster.org/pictures/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=146282 try this link, let me knoe if it doesn't work please...
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008 07:19:10 PM by *lguernsey* » THIS ROCKS   Logged

jeneration pink
« Reply #989 on: August 02, 2008 07:36:08 PM »

I can see them. They are neato, I know you wished they were clear, but I like the caramel color. That's neat that you found something in the automotive department, that u can use for neat crafty stuff. Love your shapes as well:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 172 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Manga Drawing Techniques
How to Develop Your Own Manga Characters
How to Draw a Manga Head Shape and Facial Features
ART BASEL 2012: An Inside Look at the Best Exhibits From the Miami Art Fest
How to Use a Palette Knife
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...