A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 300,901
Currently Running With Scissors:
457 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 172
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The random RESIN question thread!  (Read 295349 times)
Tags for this thread: resin , mold , catalyst , resin_problems  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

yoli4071
« Reply #810 on: April 28, 2008 03:33:18 PM »

quick question? has anyone ever made somthing out of resin just to embed it in resin? does that make sense? haha i've been really wanting to try this but am afraid of what will happen.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LET THEM EAT CAKE!
Dreambelle
Beta Sigma Phi

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #811 on: April 28, 2008 06:25:23 PM »

HELP!

I made my first batch of resin. I of course mixed too much but I knew this was my "trial" so I'm ok with that. I did 4 cookie cutters with clear packing tape as a bottom and now after peeling the tape off I can't get it out of the cookie cutter. Was I supposed to use a release on the metal?

Are these trash now or should I just go ahead and try to push as hard as I can?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Scatter Kincaid
Keeping It Crafty Since 1983

One Girl. One Obsession. Many Crafts.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #812 on: April 28, 2008 08:27:59 PM »

quick question? has anyone ever made somthing out of resin just to embed it in resin? does that make sense? haha i've been really wanting to try this but am afraid of what will happen.

I've embedded epoxy resin stickers in resin before and it's worked just fine.  Just make sure that the resin you are embedding is super duper cured.  I can't see it being an issue otherwise.

HELP!

I made my first batch of resin. I of course mixed too much but I knew this was my "trial" so I'm ok with that. I did 4 cookie cutters with clear packing tape as a bottom and now after peeling the tape off I can't get it out of the cookie cutter. Was I supposed to use a release on the metal?

Are these trash now or should I just go ahead and try to push as hard as I can?

I would try sticking them in the fridge for a while and seeing if that helps.  If you used more resin than you did hardener then it may be a lost cause.  I had tried a metal mold once and all I can report is massive failure.  Perhaps try a plastic cookie cutter next time.

I get really creative with my molds.  The dollar store is the best resource.  I've used small tupperware containers, silicone ice cube trays and muffic containers.  I even cut the top off a plastic St Patricks Day hat and use that as a mold (it was a mini top hat).  Flexible plastic containers have always worked for me.  And I've always found sticking them in the fridge for a bit (once they've cured for a day or more) helps in getting the pieces out nice and easy. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dreambelle
Beta Sigma Phi

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #813 on: April 28, 2008 08:43:23 PM »

Thank you soooo much! I'm going to give it a try!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

iiloveyoudearxo

Buy all my creations here http://lovecute.etsy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #814 on: May 08, 2008 11:10:34 PM »

Okay can someone help meeeeee?
I just recently started using resin.I use the castin' craft stuff in the blue bottle.I mix the resin and catalyst together,pour it into the mold and make sure that its getting to be like a jelly feel to it && then put w/e i want in it and then pour the rest on top. I leave it sit over night and in the morning, they STILL arent done. They are like REALLY tacky and dont change! I've even let it set for two days and still sticky and it still smells like resin.  Sad Can someone give me some tips?

Oh and I have to do it in the garage and its like not too warm here but not cold either. can someone pleaseee help?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

See a creation on here that you like? PM me on how to purchase it! Cheesy

For Vintage and Indie Jewelry:
www.fyjewelry.etsy.com
chica grande mas bonita
« Reply #815 on: May 09, 2008 06:22:12 AM »

is it epoxy or poly resin? Sounds like poly-- if you read this thread, you will find this problem brought up a couple times. If it is poly, you are either not mixing in enough catalyst, not stirring thoroughly, something you are imbedding is messing up the chemical process, -- that is if the whole piece is sticky. If it is just the part that is exposed to the air, it could just be poly being finicky, and may never cure on that surface-- if it is just the part exposed to the air, pop them out and spray them with a clear coat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nymphara
« Reply #816 on: May 09, 2008 09:21:32 AM »

First of all, thank you so much for everyone who has made this thread so awesome!! I'm a total noob to resin, but I tried it for the first time last night using Castin'Craft EasyCast Clear Casting Epoxy. I can't wait to see how everything turns out. I used a paint pallate for 3, and an ice cube tray for 2 more. One of them is going to be a mother's day present. I found a flower pic I really liked, and the bf, who is an artist, painted it for me on a teeeeeny tiny piece of thick watercolor paper. I'm thinking now that I probably should have poured a layer, let it set a bit, then put in the pic and another layer, but hopefully it will be fine. Also, I forgot to use the mold release on the pallate one, (not containing the gift, thank heavens) so I'm not sure how easy those will be to get out. I can't wait to post pics, no matter how they turn out!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

SteeelMagnolia

All things crafty are my love!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #817 on: May 09, 2008 12:33:12 PM »

I never use mold release (and I use paint palettes, too) and have never had a problem getting them to come out for me.  After they're completely cured, an upside down whack on the table and *bam*, there's your piece.

Good luck and be sure to come back and show us your goodies you've created, okay?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My BLOG: CRAFT THERAPY

My  ETSY

Art sets my soul free.
Nymphara
« Reply #818 on: May 09, 2008 12:51:39 PM »

Great! That's a relief. I will definately post pics. I'm so excited, I'm sitting at work fidgeting cause I want to go home and poke my resin some more. How long do you wait for it to completely cure? I cast the stuff at 10 last night.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chica grande mas bonita
« Reply #819 on: May 11, 2008 11:41:13 AM »

depends on humidity and stuff like that. My resin takes 12-24 hours to fully cure, although on wet days sometimes it is still kind of raw/uncured even after a day.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 172 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Understand the Difference Between Formal and Informal Symmetry
How to Photograph landscapes with a Telephoto Lens
How to Take a Trees Portrait
How to Understand the Psychological Impact of Black and White
How to Understand the Power of Juxtaposition
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...