A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 307,553
Currently Running With Scissors:
459 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 172
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The random RESIN question thread!  (Read 410946 times)
Tags for this thread: resin , mold , catalyst , resin_problems  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PhunkyThreads
this is the only craftster id I've ever had

wait for it....it wil come...

View Profile
« Reply #720 on: March 18, 2008 02:45:18 PM »

ok, probably a stupid question, but how do I put the thingys in for pendants? I have seen them drlled in but is there any othe way to do it?

i just bought some stuff to do my first resin!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If speaking my mind gets me in trouble with the establishment,then I never want to be silent
Jenicat
Where is my mind?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #721 on: March 18, 2008 05:21:13 PM »

Not mix too much

You can find out how much you need by filling the molds you plan to make with water and transferring it into a cup like the one you plan to mix and marking water level on the cup - and then, mixing a tad bit more. Of course, you'd need to dry the molds before you do the resin thing. If you ever get to using molds you make yourself that have a lot of detail, and you don't want to wait for the water you can't wipe off to evaporate, rinse them with acetone, and it'll evaporate like magic!

Duh.  This is a really smart idea, and I wouldn't have ever thought of it.  Smiley  Thanks for the tip!  I will definitely do that next time.

So, they didn't turn out too bad.  A teensy bit cloudy, but after spraying them with the sealant, they're clear and good to go!  Now I need to drill holes in them. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nikki626
rob zombie~zakk wylde~the supersuckers...nuff said!!!

evil genius in training

View Profile
« Reply #722 on: March 20, 2008 01:17:29 PM »

Okay, I just did an experiment with resin.  In the future, I would like to do the following things/make the following corrections:

Have all my supplies at the ready (so I'm not desperate for things to mix in)
Not mix too much
Lay down wax paper (couldn't find it)
Never use glitter ever again, ever, because it gets in/on everything

don't deny yourself the glitter, i just learned to be really superanal about it when i have it out n i don't end up with insane glitter messes anymore.  i don't use wax paper, i just save old cereal boxes n the cases fromall the coca!cola i drink...cut them up n lay them flat.  they're gonna get recycled anyways, might as well upcycle n give them a second purpose...  yeah, i mixed an insane amount the first time as well, ah well, i learned that i can always mix more if needed.

also, as far as things to put in resin, i have a tupperware tht lost its lid n everything i pick up that may go into resin just goes right into that box so it's all there before i start n i have a seperate box that has all my resin tools, so i just grab a coca~cola box, n the box of supplies n the box of trinkets n i'm good to go...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i'm working on the etsy thing...just gimme a minute...
hello color!
« Reply #723 on: March 20, 2008 09:25:31 PM »

Wax paper? Cereal boxes? Why not something that you have in super large amounts (in terms of surface area), like newspaper? I don't read the newspaper, but I have a stack of 8.5x11 scrap paper that's printed on one side so I can print on the other for when it's not important, so I just use that... I don't usually make big messes with resin though, not when you compare it to silicone anyway!  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
infiniteink

I have a formal degree in "Magpie"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #724 on: March 21, 2008 05:23:14 PM »

Back again, more fantastic information here yet again.

I use 3mm MDf boads as a work surface. They are just offcut pieces but they are so handy if you have to move things to put them away out of reach. You can pick up everything on the tray and pop it up high somewhere out of the way of little fingers. Any little spills don't matter and you can reuse them loads of times before you finally discard them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dolfynbead

my kid wants to go back to the beach! me too!

View Profile
« Reply #725 on: March 25, 2008 08:23:59 PM »

Quick question!

I need to get some resin pendants dried FAST! Can I put them in the oven? Or will that just keep them liquid?

They are on sterling pendant backs. Not in molds or anything.

I am using doming resin from Rio. I am sure it is similar to everything else!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
imokaynow
« Reply #726 on: March 26, 2008 09:01:35 AM »

bettyxbrown, not sure if you got an answer yet but my dad has a Wizard and I like it a lot. I tried it against his 30+ year old dremel (which I hated) and the tools were interchangable and the low speed was great for filing down the edges on my resin pieces. My dad's only complaint is that the battery life sucks. His is a rechargable and he said the batteries die pretty quickly. I haven't used any of the newer Dremels but want to get one.

has anyone here used the dremel-type 'wizard' handheld tool made by black&decker?  there's one i'm thinking about buying off of craigslist, but i'd like some reviews first...and if anyone knows if the attachments are interchangeable between the two brands, i'd love that...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Holiday Specials Now Listed!  http://smerchant.etsy.com
dolfynbead

my kid wants to go back to the beach! me too!

View Profile
« Reply #727 on: March 26, 2008 07:40:01 PM »

I decided NOT to cook the resin. Since I can melt it with my heat gun when I make a mistake, then it only stands to reason the same thing will happen in a hot OVEN! doh!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SteeelMagnolia

All things crafty are my love!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #728 on: March 28, 2008 07:15:42 AM »

I've been reading all 72 pages of resin info and finally decided to dive in and get some so I can start making some of the visions in my head a resin-reality.

But...yes, there's always a but when we start trying a new craft, isn't there?

But, I messed up and accidentally bought WHITE resin instead of clear.  (I live in a podunk/small Alabama town so I have to order everything off the internet or drive 60 miles to get it and since I try to live as green as possible, we only drive to the big city about once every month...needless to say, I make mistakes in my orders some times.  UGH!)  Anyway, I have no clue what to do with this 16oz of white resin that I now have on my hands.

Any ideas?

Oh, and my shipment of CLEAR resin (I triple checked my order this time lol) should be here today...and I have tons of projects planned for it.  YEA!!!  LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My BLOG: CRAFT THERAPY

My  ETSY

Art sets my soul free.
Lotusohm
« Reply #729 on: March 28, 2008 08:15:02 AM »

Okay I am interested in making resin I know what to get to make it but I would like to make resin rings were do I get the ring blanks for that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knitting with Little time the blog(http://fallingangelica.wordpress.com/)
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 172 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2016: Holiday Bingo
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2016: Kitty Floss Holders
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2016: DIY Dryer Sheets

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...