A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,400
Currently Running With Scissors:
757 Guests and 38 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 172
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The random RESIN question thread!  (Read 268713 times)
Tags for this thread: resin , mold , catalyst , resin_problems  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

chica grande mas bonita
« Reply #570 on: January 01, 2008 08:30:20 AM »

dolfynbead -

Maybe you could pry (carefully) the resin out of the pendant?  Maybe it will act like a mold and the resin will pop out?  Is it like a little silver frame or locket with a well htat you poured the resin into? 

I have found something truly cool for resin molds - playdough shape cutters!!  I found them while cleaning my daughter's room.  They look like cookie cutters with a hole in the middle to push out the clay.  I sealed up the hole with packing tape inside and out so it doesn't leak and it seemed to work. Once the resin cured, it popped out without breaking the mold.  Gave it a cool shape to.  I just need to sand it a bit and trim the edges then it will be good to go.  The tape left a little bit of a mark, but sanding should take that out or I may do a light coat of resin on top of it.  I made a rabbit with flower charm imbeds last night, tonight's mold may be a chicken w/ glitter  Grin

GENIUS-- please post some pictures!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

christinaX
« Reply #571 on: January 01, 2008 01:19:30 PM »

Thanks for the genius comment, it made me smile  Grin

Here is the pics, sorry about the glare, I coated it with more resin which took out any of the marks that the tape left.  I love her, I think I will call her Flora :

« Last Edit: January 01, 2008 01:22:42 PM by christinaX » THIS ROCKS   Logged
dolfynbead

my kid wants to go back to the beach! me too!

View Profile
« Reply #572 on: January 01, 2008 07:50:02 PM »

Ugh, me again!!

I am trying to seal my pics with watered down white glue before resining them. But the glue is ruining them! It is turning them a weird reddish pink color.

What can I do? I am using high quality photo paper with an ink jet printer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PinkyK
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #573 on: January 02, 2008 06:18:59 AM »

Ugh, me again!!

I am trying to seal my pics with watered down white glue before resining them. But the glue is ruining them! It is turning them a weird reddish pink color.

What can I do? I am using high quality photo paper with an ink jet printer.

I've sealed fabric with modge podge before resin-ing (is that a word?) it. The only trick is it has to be 100% dry before you put the resin on it. I'm talking let it dry for days just to be safe.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cute Lil Katie Kat
« Reply #574 on: January 02, 2008 12:06:43 PM »

the only way to cure the outside would be to spray it with something-- an acrylic spray, like a polyurethane sealer

Would Minwax Polyurethane Gloss Aerosol or Minwax Polycrylic Gloss Aerosol work for coating / sealing?  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

>^.^<
christinaX
« Reply #575 on: January 02, 2008 02:49:56 PM »

If your pics are running when you put the glue on them, try spraying them with a fixative before coating them with the glue.  The ink is running, that is why you are getting that weird color.  You can get fixative spray at an art store or a craft store.  Once that dries, it should keep your pics from running when you put glue on them.  It works for me  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dolfynbead

my kid wants to go back to the beach! me too!

View Profile
« Reply #576 on: January 02, 2008 06:32:53 PM »

If your pics are running when you put the glue on them, try spraying them with a fixative before coating them with the glue.  The ink is running, that is why you are getting that weird color.  You can get fixative spray at an art store or a craft store.  Once that dries, it should keep your pics from running when you put glue on them.  It works for me  Cheesy
Thanks! What section in a craft store? Is it just called "fixative" or does it have a more offical name?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hello color!
« Reply #577 on: January 03, 2008 10:56:57 AM »

I have found something truly cool for resin molds - playdough shape cutters!!  I found them while cleaning my daughter's room.  They look like cookie cutters with a hole in the middle to push out the clay.  I sealed up the hole with packing tape inside and out so it doesn't leak and it seemed to work. Once the resin cured, it popped out without breaking the mold.  Gave it a cool shape to.  I just need to sand it a bit and trim the edges then it will be good to go.  The tape left a little bit of a mark, but sanding should take that out or I may do a light coat of resin on top of it.  I made a rabbit with flower charm imbeds last night, tonight's mold may be a chicken w/ glitter  Grin

It came out really cute! I've an idea of how you can do it without packing tape, for a smooth finish. You can find a polypropylene container (#5 recycling code, that's what commercial resin molds are made of) that's flat, put the shape cutter on it, and seal it on the outside with modeling clay/polymer clay/etc. You know, make a long snake, put it around, and push it toward the edges of the cutter. Polypropylene can be kind of hard to find, but maybe polystyrene food containers, the kind they have at the deli, + some mold release would also work.

At Linens & Things, I saw a whole big box of plastic cookie cutters, probably 100 different ones, for $10. Hmm...!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chica grande mas bonita
« Reply #578 on: January 03, 2008 02:58:19 PM »

too cute, thanks for posting pictures for us!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

christinaX
« Reply #579 on: January 03, 2008 03:14:55 PM »

No problem guys!  thanks for the kind comments!!  you all truly rock! 

Yes, it should just say fixative.  I get the matte fixative cause the regular fixative is too shiny. 

I never thought of the plastic to cover the hole.  What a great idea!!

Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 172 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Photoshop 1/2
how to Make a Picture Look Like A Painting in Photoshop
How to Create an Electric Text Effect In Photoshop
How to Use Camtasia Studio
How To Make A Custom Photoshop Brush
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...