A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,695
Currently Running With Scissors:
549 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 172
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The random RESIN question thread!  (Read 272137 times)
Tags for this thread: resin , mold , catalyst , resin_problems  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

chica grande mas bonita
« Reply #560 on: December 28, 2007 02:23:19 PM »

You could use the gloss glaze, it would fulfill the same purpose-- to create a hard coating to seal in stickiness.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

artaddict24
« Reply #561 on: December 28, 2007 02:58:34 PM »

thanks chica! i'll try it out.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i know size can be daunting, but dont be afraid. i love you. I LOVE YOU!
-from happy feet
Cute Lil Katie Kat
« Reply #562 on: December 30, 2007 07:57:07 PM »

OK - I know you can embed just about anything in resin.  So - what are everyone's favorite sources for cute little items to embed? 

I've been reading about resin for a few weeks now and ordered some, and am just waiting on 'the art of resin jewelry' book to arrive for some extra instructions.  I have collected a few little trinkets, but am at a loss for different places to look for them...

Oh, and - Wish me luck!

~Kate
THIS ROCKS   Logged

>^.^<
dolfynbead

my kid wants to go back to the beach! me too!

View Profile
« Reply #563 on: December 31, 2007 11:48:05 AM »

Pardon me for just jumping on in here.  I've read the whoooole thread so I feel like I belong!  Cheesy

I need help! I embedded a picture into a sterling pendant with resin, and it messed up. (Used the resin too cold, so it was bubbly and yellow. Yuck!)

Anyway, I would like to salvage the pendant. Is there a way to remove the resin?

THANKS!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PinkyK
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #564 on: December 31, 2007 12:04:55 PM »

The dollar store is my best source of things to put in resin. SOOOOO many resin worthy things for $1!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

christinaX
« Reply #565 on: December 31, 2007 02:07:07 PM »

dolfynbead -

Maybe you could pry (carefully) the resin out of the pendant?  Maybe it will act like a mold and the resin will pop out?  Is it like a little silver frame or locket with a well htat you poured the resin into? 

I have found something truly cool for resin molds - playdough shape cutters!!  I found them while cleaning my daughter's room.  They look like cookie cutters with a hole in the middle to push out the clay.  I sealed up the hole with packing tape inside and out so it doesn't leak and it seemed to work. Once the resin cured, it popped out without breaking the mold.  Gave it a cool shape to.  I just need to sand it a bit and trim the edges then it will be good to go.  The tape left a little bit of a mark, but sanding should take that out or I may do a light coat of resin on top of it.  I made a rabbit with flower charm imbeds last night, tonight's mold may be a chicken w/ glitter  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dolfynbead

View Profile
« Reply #566 on: December 31, 2007 03:38:02 PM »

dolfynbead -

Maybe you could pry (carefully) the resin out of the pendant?  Maybe it will act like a mold and the resin will pop out?  Is it like a little silver frame or locket with a well htat you poured the resin into? 

Nope. Not going to let me pry it out. It is pretty much glued to the pendant. It does have a well, so there was quite a bit of resin on top.

Hmm... I wonder if mold release will help? Probably not since I didn't spray it on before. But I am going to go try anyway!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
christinaX
« Reply #567 on: December 31, 2007 03:43:56 PM »

ugh, sorry.  I have messed up plenty with resin so I feel yer pain.  Do you have a heat gun?  Maybe heating it up will make it pliable?  Then you can pry it out?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dolfynbead

View Profile
« Reply #568 on: December 31, 2007 03:53:23 PM »

Darn! I was coming in here all excited to say I'd figured it out. Heat! But someone beat me to posting it! Wink

It occured to me (after I left my last post) that - DUH! Heat is how I opened my bottle of resin when I managed to seal it shut. So why wouldn't it work for removing it from the pendant? And it does. But boy does that sterling get hot!

OK, off to finish de-resining!!!

I appreciate the fast replies! And hope to one day be brave enough to post a picture!

I do have another question. Pages and pages ago someone mentioned she would like to do photo jewelry and posted a website with some really pretty things. That is basically what I am trying to do myself and figured resin was the way to go. Someone said to use modge podge for it. But will modge podge give it a smooth glass-like finish? That is what I really need for ALL of my projects - resin/epoxy/glue that looks like the smoothest shiniest glass when dry.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007 03:54:28 PM by dolfynbead » THIS ROCKS   Logged
christinaX
« Reply #569 on: December 31, 2007 04:03:17 PM »

Great!  Glad the heat worked! 

On your quest for glassy pictures:  I also like this stuff called Diamond Glaze when i'm not using resin.  It's water based and its very pic-paper friendly.  Like say, you have a bottlecap that you want to put a pic in.  Glue the pic in the bottlecap, let that dry, take the diamond glaze, and put a thin coating of the glaze on the picture.  You squeeze it out of the bottle and it looks milky until it dries.  Then it looks nice and shiny.  It just takes a thin coat. If you use too much it may crack and make sure the glue that you use to glue the pic down with is dry or it may cause bubbles.  Its not super tought like resin but its not smelly and it doesn't take as long to dry. I also use the diamond glaze to coat pics-paper when I want to stick them in the resin because it keeps the resin from seeping into the pic-paper, kinda like a sealer.  I hope this helps a bit Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 172 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Fool Friends with a Faux-Italian Feast
How to Make Salty and Sweet Snack Mix for Easter
Bread Pudding with Vanilla Butter Sauce Recipe
How to Make the Perfect Holiday Red Berry Trifle
Strawberry Champagne Pops
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...