A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 300,924
Currently Running With Scissors:
522 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 172
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The random RESIN question thread!  (Read 295472 times)
Tags for this thread: resin , mold , catalyst , resin_problems  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

RoxNGemz

Beads and Resin are my passions!

View Profile
« Reply #490 on: October 12, 2007 05:37:56 PM »

What do you like to embed into resin?

So far I've tried beads, glitter, shells, stickers, eyeshadow (to give resin a cool frosty look).  I'm going to have a try at embedding natural objects like leaves and seeds.

Any other ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~jessica
aka.. RoxnGemz
xx_Kellybean
« Reply #491 on: October 12, 2007 07:15:47 PM »

I've embedded daisy's.. but it didn't work too well. I think a leaf would be pretty cool. I've also embedded little plastic toys, guitar picks, and sequins. The sequins are my favorite.. I bought some skull with crossbone sequins the other day and am thinking it would make for an awesome pendant.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RubyTuesday
« Reply #492 on: October 15, 2007 09:49:23 AM »

I've never used resin but i once saw a dandelion in a paperweight, looked very cool! not sure if you could do that in resin  Smiley

http://rarebirdfinds.typepad.com/rare_bird_finds/images/paperweight_1.jpg
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007 09:50:01 AM by RubyTuesday » THIS ROCKS   Logged

maan
« Reply #493 on: October 16, 2007 06:08:48 PM »

hi has anyone tried this? ArtMolds AquaClear Resin ?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ViciousEdge
« Reply #494 on: October 17, 2007 07:27:36 AM »

Hi! Quick question here:

If you have finished a resin project and found that it has not cured after 72 hours, can you cover it with more resin and as long as that cures it's good?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yay!
RoxNGemz

View Profile
« Reply #495 on: October 17, 2007 07:53:15 AM »

Hi! Quick question here:

If you have finished a resin project and found that it has not cured after 72 hours, can you cover it with more resin and as long as that cures it's good?
Great question.  I just had a batch not cure (just the top layer of the resin) so the items wouldn't come out of the molds very well, so I had to reck them getting them out! Sad  But I should have tried what you are suggesting.  I bet it will work.  (I'm thinking you'll get a "gel" layer though.  Sad  Depending on what you are making, this might be an issue.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~jessica
aka.. RoxnGemz
RoxNGemz

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: October 20, 2007 06:27:44 PM »

I love power tools!     Cheesy

I just got a ^^Dremel Stylus ^^ today to start adding holes to my resin pendants.

Here's the first of MANY (I am sure) pendants to get holes:

^^^Vertical Hole

^^^Horizontal Hole

^^^the pendants I've drilled holes in so far^^^

I have yet to string these onto necklaces... but I'm just so freakin' excited about this, I had to post pics Grin

THIS ROCKS   Logged

~jessica
aka.. RoxnGemz
Anam
« Reply #497 on: October 21, 2007 05:25:23 AM »

I'm so glad you posted this about the Dremel. I bought myself one nerly a year ago and have never used it because I don't know how to hold a pendant, scrabble piece, small charm still to drill it. What exactly is a Stylus for? I have seen some jeweler's vices that attach to a table and are supposed to hold small things for drilling.

Any help would be appreciated. I hate that my Dremel is just collecting dust.

Thanks..Anam

PS I love the pendants you made..may ask you later about those too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RoxNGemz

View Profile
« Reply #498 on: October 21, 2007 01:19:39 PM »

What exactly is a Stylus for? I have seen some jeweler's vices that attach to a table and are supposed to hold small things for drilling.

I agree... pull that Dremel out and just start drilling!  Smiley  Mine (The Stylus model) is supposedly easier to hold (it's shaped like a gun) in order to work on smaller projects (like beading and resin jewelry projects)  It is also cordless, which means I can work on my projects anywhere... even outside!  and still be able to use the drill!  Woo Hoo!!!

I did see the small vices and drill press type apparatus' for sale to hold your Dremel while you drill, but I figured I wasn't drilling very deep holes, and with variable speed you can really control the drill very easy by hand without the extra equipment.  (And cost!!!)  AS far as  how to hold your item to drill it... I simply hold my drill bit perdendicular to where I want the hole in my item, turn it on, and hope for the best  Grin  I guess I am not being as precise as I could be, but so far it's not been a huge issue, and my holes have turned out great!  (just a little bit lopsided Wink )  Remember start the holes smaller then your final diameter, then it's easy to fix any screw-ups Smiley

I say start on a "scrap" piece, that you can afford to mess up, try out the drill!  Hopefully your has variable speed also, so you should start to get a feel for the speed you need for drilling into certain mediums (ie. wood, plastic, resin...)  I don't need any faster then a speed of 4 for my resin. (My speed dial goes to 10)

Does this help?  I hope so Smiley

PS... I'm pretty new at this myself.  I'm pretty adenterous though, so I'm not afraid to try things and have them fail!   Wink
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007 01:20:18 PM by RoxNGemz » THIS ROCKS   Logged

~jessica
aka.. RoxnGemz
hello color!
« Reply #499 on: October 21, 2007 04:11:51 PM »

I'm so glad you posted this about the Dremel. I bought myself one nerly a year ago and have never used it because I don't know how to hold a pendant, scrabble piece, small charm still to drill it. What exactly is a Stylus for? I have seen some jeweler's vices that attach to a table and are supposed to hold small things for drilling.

I got the Dremel drill press for my bday, and I'm getting a drill press vise for my bday too, - but I have to go see my fam to get it. (Since the drill press had to be ordered online, they just shipped it to me.) I haven't used it yet, since I need the vise (or clips) to be able to mount things on the platform.

I decided to get the vise so I can drill horizontal holes in objects that are not flat on both sides. Even at the lowest speed, that thing's fast, and I don't want to hurt myself or risk drilling crooked holes! Vises start really low, $5-$10 at HD, less online. Definitely worth it IMO. Mine's $40-ish, but the present-giver didn't really care how much it was, and the selection of vises that you can mount on a drill press is pretty limited.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 172 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set for Indoor Scene
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set for Fireworks Scene
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set for Dusk/Dawn Scene
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set for Copy Scene
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set for Beach/Snow Scene
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...