A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 301,508
Currently Running With Scissors:
478 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 172
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The random RESIN question thread!  (Read 311951 times)
Tags for this thread: resin , mold , catalyst , resin_problems  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

chica grande mas bonita
« Reply #390 on: May 29, 2007 08:38:31 AM »

i cast some pendants in a silicon muffin tray last sunday.  almost all of it is hardened - all along the bottom and the sides, and on the top surface all around the outside.  just the very middle is still tacky.   i used easycraft EPOXY resin, so it's not like the orange peel sticky.  it's just sticky.  will it ever cure?? am i doomed?

sometimes resin stays sticky where it is exposed to the air-- could be humidity, etc.  Get a resin spray, or I am guessing any kind of clear sealing spray would work. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chica grande mas bonita
« Reply #391 on: May 29, 2007 08:48:58 AM »

1. what i really would love to do is the resin bangle. anybody has any idea on how to make this? im thinking some kind of a mould, but what? can it be homemade?

I have actually seen a bangle mold-- maybe the sherri haab website?  I made my own-- using 2 part silicon, a pour variety, not a slip mold variety.  sherri haab has a tutorial in her book, if you can get it at your library.  Otherwise let me know and I will walk you through the steps.  The only problem with making your own silicone mold is that if you have any faults in the bracelet you are casting, it will lock nice and tight. And they are hard to remove anyway, and you have to spray them to make the finish shiny again.... 
I posted the bracelet I made-- search resin bangle bracelet, I think that was the title
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bigeyes
« Reply #392 on: May 31, 2007 04:59:01 PM »

so I bought some glow powder online, and I mixed it in resin to pour behind little things...like bugs, for example.  anyway, my hubby vetoed my idea to purchase bugs on ebay for this purpose, so I got some small starfish and sea horses from a dealer.

I have always used envirotex as a coating, but I tried the castin' craft resin today, and yuck, it is so awful smelling I can't believe it.  I like the effect I'm getting from the glow powder, but the embedding process with 3 layers (front clear, starfish, middle clear, back glow layer) is a little bit more work than I want to deal with.  I'm starting to get a little creeped out by the itty bitty dead seahorses, too.

I'm thinking that after this batch I will try to cast 'glow gems' with the cabochon molds........and then drill a tiny hole for a loop of some sort.   I'm not a big necklace person, so I don't really know what effect I'm trying for. 

any suggestions?  I don't want to pitch this stuff, but I can't see me working with it on a regular basis, I like the envirotex for a decoupage like effect.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't lie no better than that......you might as well tell the truth.
icats
« Reply #393 on: June 02, 2007 05:41:57 PM »

Here's the best storage solution for resin ever!

Ask your friendly pharmacist for a couple of 16 oz bottles used to hold liquid medications:

If they're REALLY friendly, ask for a few mouth syringes that attach to the top of the bottle for giving medications to babies (**warning:  if you ask for regular syringes they will probably think you're up to no good and refuse**)

This system works great if you need small amounts at a time.  I usually try my hand at duplicating the beautiful pieces at spoonfed.com  (although I have yet to make a piece I like as well as hers.  I may post a few pics later).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ssixsullys
« Reply #394 on: June 03, 2007 03:16:37 PM »

I have been scouring the internet trying to figure out how to make these pendants. http://www.h2hstudio.com/index2.php (scroll through the pendants) They are photographs attatched to silver engravable blanks. I am assuming it is finished with some sort of resin epoxy. But how do you attatch the picture to the silver directly and do you pour the resin on top?? Please help if you can. I want to make one for my sisters birthday in AUG. The prices that people charge for this is outrageous.
Thanks so much
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Stifflersmom
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Sassy Britches

We are the people our parents warned us about....

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: June 05, 2007 06:43:59 PM »

I've made pendants like that by pouring modpodge over the image. It takes a day or two to cure, but it works nicely.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

As you sew, so shall you rip. Don't fear the ripper.
newbibeader
« Reply #396 on: June 12, 2007 09:23:25 AM »

so finally, after weeks of experimentation, research, scouring stores for materials, sticky hands, stinky smell... i have finally made my resin pendants! yey! i've made them in molds, in my improvised bezel, paperbacked, hooray for resin:

this is my cartoon pic in my improvised bezel - it is actually used for something else. i was looking at a jewelry store, i flipped it and it has a wonderful hollow back! the pic still bled a little, but this is from the first batch. = )

my yummy ice bracelet;

and my kids in love pendant

there are still a lot of bubbles but, i still love them, bubbles or no bubbles.

thank you for the wonderful wonderful sharing of information from this thread - i really learned so much.

I have actually seen a bangle mold-- maybe the sherri haab website?  I made my own-- using 2 part silicon, a pour variety, not a slip mold variety.  sherri haab has a tutorial in her book, if you can get it at your library.  Otherwise let me know and I will walk you through the steps.  The only problem with making your own silicone mold is that if you have any faults in the bracelet you are casting, it will lock nice and tight. And they are hard to remove anyway, and you have to spray them to make the finish shiny again....  
I posted the bracelet I made-- search resin bangle bracelet, I think that was the title

yes please, a step by step would really be very much appreciated as i can't find sherry haab's book here. i really love your bracelet, it is exactly what i'm dreaming of doing!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011 06:17:07 AM by TheSapphireMoon - Reason: fix -med issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged
shay8317
« Reply #397 on: June 12, 2007 01:40:45 PM »

Has any one bought the resin kits from hobby lobby and if so do they work well. I was thinking about buying one, but I didn't want to spend the money if they don't come out well..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LuxieLou

sewing & polymer clay <3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #398 on: June 12, 2007 05:09:35 PM »

Has any one bought the resin kits from hobby lobby and if so do they work well. I was thinking about buying one, but I didn't want to spend the money if they don't come out well..

which hobby lobby kits are you talking about? The easy cast 2 part epoxy from hobby lobby works great...it's my favorite.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TimelessBarbara
« Reply #399 on: June 12, 2007 07:49:20 PM »

I would be interested in knowing how to make the silicone mold for the bangle, could you please give a tutorial?
I would really appreciate that Smiley Thank you!
Barbara

1. what i really would love to do is the resin bangle. anybody has any idea on how to make this? im thinking some kind of a mould, but what? can it be homemade?

I have actually seen a bangle mold-- maybe the sherri haab website?  I made my own-- using 2 part silicon, a pour variety, not a slip mold variety.  sherri haab has a tutorial in her book, if you can get it at your library.  Otherwise let me know and I will walk you through the steps.  The only problem with making your own silicone mold is that if you have any faults in the bracelet you are casting, it will lock nice and tight. And they are hard to remove anyway, and you have to spray them to make the finish shiny again.... 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 172 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Introduction to Beef Basics
How to Make Cucumber Appetizers
Plating the Crab Cakes
Making the Aioli for the Crab Cakes
Jumbo Lump Crab Cakes Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decorative Bulletin Board
Rain, rain, you don't have to go away...
Tute Tuesday: Latch Hooked Rag Rug

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...