A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 303,215
Currently Running With Scissors:
698 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 172
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The random RESIN question thread!  (Read 335253 times)
Tags for this thread: resin , mold , catalyst , resin_problems  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: January 15, 2007 11:13:12 AM »

i have never done silicone but... I think you can buy it from an art store and possibly use half a ping pong ball for casting..  Then again, I don't know.

Craftster has justified my packrat behaviour
« Reply #161 on: January 15, 2007 03:53:53 PM »

I bought some resin not too long ago, crafting castin (forgot the name, but it has castin in it I believe.) or something like that.  I opened it, and tried to pour some out, and it was too thick to even pour out of the bottle!  argh.  and I threw out the receipt a while ago. and boy, the smell's bad LOL.  I couldn't find it, but isn't there a resin that doesn't smell bad?
« Reply #162 on: January 15, 2007 06:09:00 PM »

So funny, I just bought some resin molds today! This is a great site (posted by someone else on Craftster).  I think they'll have what you're looking for...

I'm just trying resin projects but totally getting hooked.  Love it. Smiley

If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
Lewis Carroll
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Sassy Britches

We are the people our parents warned us about....

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 15, 2007 06:15:04 PM »

Nah, it's all pretty stinky stuff.

As you sew, so shall you rip. Don't fear the ripper.
« Reply #164 on: January 16, 2007 11:10:49 PM »

I am anxious to try crafting with resin and I have my resin and molds at the ready.  But before I start I'd like to know what is the best way to clean up, if I spill.  (Which there is a 70/30 chance I will  Roll Eyes)  What are your best tips?
Nail polish remover works well.
« Reply #165 on: January 18, 2007 09:13:57 AM »

I'm not sure if this is the place for this post or not but last night I made some resin casts for pendants in a round painter's palette and in a square painter's palette. I wiped the molds with vegetable oil before pouring in the resin and this morning the round molds popped right out but the square ones are stuck in there (yikes!!). I tried spraying Pam on them but they didn't budge. If I wait until the resin completely cures, will they pop out or am I SOL? Thanks for any tips Smiley Also - any creative ideas for resin molds aside from ice trays?

Jenny Smiley

PS - I've read all the resin posts which have been really informative but I couldn't find anything about this particular question Smiley
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007 09:16:11 AM by LoopedyLoop » THIS ROCKS   Logged

chica grande mas bonita
« Reply #166 on: January 18, 2007 12:15:12 PM »

I have run into this problem and the only way I got mine out was to muscle them out.  My pallettes were hard plastic but I kind of tried to bend them a little-- squares are hard though.  I also tried jamming a pin along the edge and then prying.  it is hard on the cast, so be careful. You might just be SOL, unfortunately. those dome (circular pallette) ones are much easier to force out....
In the threads for resin there is a site listed that has ALLL KIIINDS of resin molds-- I will look for it and post it if I find it. I ordered a few and they are a semi rigid plastic but flexible enough that they pop right out. Also, I have been experimenting with liquid latex-- craft and art stores sell it as a mold making compound-- but I find a shape I like with no undercutes and dunk it and let it dry a couple times-- resin cures in it and you peel it off like rubber.  I have also tried candy molds but they can be very hard to get out (especially those damndable squares...)
I will see if I can find the site I ordered from--
good luck

chica grande mas bonita
« Reply #167 on: January 18, 2007 12:16:40 PM »

someone had posted in in response to a thread just below yours, lol. that was EASY.
The molds I got work great, no release agent needed.

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: January 18, 2007 12:24:48 PM »

This happened to my mom while making Christmas ornaments. She slid a thin knife between the resin and the mold and that broke the seal....so to speak.....and then she was able to twist the mold around and get the resin out of the mold.

You can also give them a good solid whack on the table and see if that will force them out.  Embarrassed

Good luck! Post pictures of them when you are done!

chica grande mas bonita
« Reply #169 on: January 18, 2007 12:26:03 PM »

just like to point out that that site sells "commode lid" molds.
um-- pretty sweet.  Someone please buy it and cast me a toilet lid. oh please.

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 172 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Wear the Colour Blocking Trend: Camel and Navy
High Street Edit: 3 Daisy Street Outfits
Skinny Jeans and Your Skin
How to Rock a White Bodycon Dress and Bomber Jacket
4 Beyoncé Style Hacks for a #Flawless Look
Latest Blog Articles
Ghosts and Graveyards
Meatless Monday: Stuffed Acorn Squash
@Home This Weekend: Quilted Patchwork Basket

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...