A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,106
Currently Running With Scissors:
694 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 172
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The random RESIN question thread!  (Read 260945 times)
Tags for this thread: resin , cloudiness , mold , catalyst , tacky_resin , resin_problems  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

christinaX
« Reply #580 on: January 03, 2008 03:16:54 PM »

oh duh, I almost fergot:  You can find fixative in the spray paint section or glue section in Michaels.  Of if you walk in  and ask for spray fixative, they should be able to point you out to it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
simplenotions86
« Reply #581 on: January 03, 2008 09:48:40 PM »

Hi! So I've been reading up on resin and it sounds fun and challenging! I was wondering if anyone has tried preserving real, fresh flowers in resin. I would really LOVE to replicate this (yes, I'm a copycat!)! Anyone have any tips? Please?

Here is the site, check it out!!!
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=90885

Aren't they GORGEOUS?!
Thanks in advance for all your help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Capt.Gina.
Hey.Hey.Hey.Hi

Jackass swap?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #582 on: January 04, 2008 11:03:54 AM »

What do you need a catalyst for? I have some resin and molds already. But, I see a lot of talk about a catalyst.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Myspace.com/1chickenfucker89

I dont "fuck" chickens i just love super troopers!

Non toccare la mia Area di pericolo!
artaddict24
« Reply #583 on: January 04, 2008 11:53:31 AM »

What do you need a catalyst for? I have some resin and molds already. But, I see a lot of talk about a catalyst.

the catalyst is what makes the resin harden. it won't cure without it. you have to have to mix them exactly as the directions say or your pieces won't cure completely. i had a mixing problem recently and it pretty much sucks. lol
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008 11:56:33 AM by artaddict24 - Reason: there was something i forgot to add » THIS ROCKS   Logged

i know size can be daunting, but dont be afraid. i love you. I LOVE YOU!
-from happy feet
artaddict24
« Reply #584 on: January 04, 2008 12:02:20 PM »

Hi! So I've been reading up on resin and it sounds fun and challenging! I was wondering if anyone has tried preserving real, fresh flowers in resin. I would really LOVE to replicate this (yes, I'm a copycat!)! Anyone have any tips? Please?

whoa! they are really beautiful! i haven't tried it personally, but i read a while back ago on this thread that people had problems with the colors bleeding when they used live flowers. you can try sealing it very very well and see how that turns out, but i'm not sure how it will change over time.  i'm not sure what you'd use to seal it though. or maybe you could try artificial plants and compare them.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008 12:04:26 PM by artaddict24 - Reason: addition » THIS ROCKS   Logged

i know size can be daunting, but dont be afraid. i love you. I LOVE YOU!
-from happy feet
craftymomof4
« Reply #585 on: January 04, 2008 06:13:17 PM »

I use the Castin' Craft resin and catalyst. A small bottle of catalyst willl last forever since you only use 5 drops per ounce of resin. As far as the mold release, I have never used any and mine always pop out just fine - I use ice cube trays.
I was just wondering if this is like the diamond glaze stuff? and does it turn clear like glass when it dries? thank you I saw this at Michaels too and was wondering if it is like polyurethane.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stevenjames
what are you gonna make today?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #586 on: January 04, 2008 08:21:33 PM »

A lot of people love Castin'  Craft. 

I've actually put too much catalyst in it just to make it crack - cool effect!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

learn how to torch enamel: http://macaroniandglitter.com/classes

follow me on facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/stevenjames
hotty_blond2000

Crafting, Internet, and Pepsi are my weaknesses!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #587 on: January 05, 2008 10:21:38 AM »

whoa! they are really beautiful! i haven't tried it personally, but i read a while back ago on this thread that people had problems with the colors bleeding when they used live flowers. you can try sealing it very very well and see how that turns out, but i'm not sure how it will change over time.  i'm not sure what you'd use to seal it though. or maybe you could try artificial plants and compare them.

the castin craft directions say to coat stuff with white glue 'school glue'.  I haven't tried yet but I would suggest an acid free mod podge, personally. I need to get some flowers and try this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stevenjames
what are you gonna make today?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #588 on: January 05, 2008 11:45:21 AM »

When I've used flowers, I've actually laminated them with hard laminate before putting them in the resin.   You might also want to coat them with a little color saver!   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

learn how to torch enamel: http://macaroniandglitter.com/classes

follow me on facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/stevenjames
bigeyes
« Reply #589 on: January 05, 2008 11:53:06 AM »

what is color saver?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't lie no better than that......you might as well tell the truth.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 172 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Fake Beard with a Dishcloth
How to Make Purple Slime
How to Make Yellow Playdough
How to Make Classic Bouncing Putty
How to Make Blue Playdough
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...