A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
571 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 172
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The random RESIN question thread!  (Read 269191 times)
Tags for this thread: resin , mold , catalyst , resin_problems  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bigeyes
« Reply #550 on: December 17, 2007 11:23:28 AM »

I believe ETI's  pamphlets say the only way to get it off once it's dried/set is to sand it or use a heat gun, but I don't know if heat would make glass crack or not.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007 11:25:11 AM by bigeyes » THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't lie no better than that......you might as well tell the truth.
stevenjames
what are you gonna make today?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #551 on: December 17, 2007 11:35:01 AM »

I'm a heavy user of Goo Gone, but I haven't tried it on dried resin yet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

learn how to torch enamel: http://macaroniandglitter.com/classes

follow me on facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/stevenjames
PinkyK
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #552 on: December 17, 2007 12:00:54 PM »

Thank you so much! I passed the link along to my mom. I'm sure she will be thrilled to see your ideas.

Thank you again....and if you think of anyother way to get the resin off of her glass table keep 'em comming.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

artaddict24
« Reply #553 on: December 21, 2007 11:21:42 PM »

hey! it's my first post here. i've read this thread a few times before actually starting to work with resin (at least the first 50 pages) and it's answered a lot of my questions, but i ran into a problem.

i used castin craft in an ice cube tray (with mold release). i'm reasonably sure that a combo of messed up mixing proportions and humidity caused a stickiness issue, but it's the top (the part that was actually in the mold) that was sticky and not the part that was exposed to air.   Huh

i used one as a tester and tried to wet sand the sticky part off (in water), but it didn't do much besides make the surface cloudy. was there some kind of chemical i was supposed to wet sand it in?? should i just keep sanding and try to polish it afterwards? or should i have tried to spray a layer of sealer over it and then sand it?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

i know size can be daunting, but dont be afraid. i love you. I LOVE YOU!
-from happy feet
stevenjames
what are you gonna make today?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #554 on: December 22, 2007 07:01:33 AM »

What kind of ice cube tray?   Did you have a thick pour? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

learn how to torch enamel: http://macaroniandglitter.com/classes

follow me on facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/stevenjames
craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #555 on: December 22, 2007 07:04:07 AM »

table glass is generally VERY hard, a hairdrier isn't going to hurt it. don't heat and then cool or cool and then heat Any kind of glass quickly though because that Will crack it for sure! glass is also more suseptible to cracking when it's cold and gets hit with something.

in other words, i'd try the hairdrier method. let us know if it works!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2007 05:38:13 PM by MonkeyThumb » THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
artaddict24
« Reply #556 on: December 22, 2007 04:39:28 PM »

it was just a plain plastic dollar store ice tray. i'm not sure if it would be considered a thick pour, but it was about 1/2" thick and each one had an embedment in the middle. it took like 2 weeks to cure and i didn't use any dies.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-from happy feet
chica grande mas bonita
« Reply #557 on: December 28, 2007 11:36:33 AM »

it was just a plain plastic dollar store ice tray. i'm not sure if it would be considered a thick pour, but it was about 1/2" thick and each one had an embedment in the middle. it took like 2 weeks to cure and i didn't use any dies.   

This sounds like a mixing problem-- not enough catalyst. If you didnt mix pigments or anything I would guess that proportions were wrong. Which means, the only way to cure the outside would be to spray it with something-- an acrylic spray, like a polyurethane sealer, or castin craft' resin spray, which is the same thing, basically.  This will make the outside not sticky in most cases, but it sounds like your pieces didnt cure throughout, so I dont know if that will lead to problems in just trying to seal the outside. If they hadn't cured in 2 weeks, they won't ever cure, I don't think. Try sealing them, though, it just might work.  Are you using poly or epoxy resin?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chica grande mas bonita
« Reply #558 on: December 28, 2007 11:39:49 AM »

Thank you so much! I passed the link along to my mom. I'm sure she will be thrilled to see your ideas.

Thank you again....and if you think of anyother way to get the resin off of her glass table keep 'em comming.   Smiley

I called a company that uses resin for construction purposes when I got resin all over my roommate's laminate top table. They said they did not know of any chemical agent that would dissolve resin, and in the end they suggested using a razor blade (I used the one that is a flat blade that comes out of a handle, used by my father to scrape paint of windows and windowsills, I dont know if it has a proper name or formal use) and it worked by "breaking the seal" on the resin on the table, popping it off that way. It involved trying to pry up an edge of the resin, but using a razor on glass might scratch it.  But it worked because it was a really thin razor attached to a handle. I just kept scraping into the edge of the resin till it popped up.  I don't think any solvents or heat will work on it.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

artaddict24
« Reply #559 on: December 28, 2007 01:04:54 PM »

Are you using poly or epoxy resin?
[/quote]

it's polyurethane resin. i read somewhere that polyurethane resin cures in absence of air so i put the pieces under a tupperware bowl for about a week and took a look at it today and the pieces are a lot less sticky than they were when i first wrestled them out of the mold. i think you're right. i didn't use enough catalyst. i got some deco art triple thick gloss glaze, but that won't seal it, right? should i spray with acrylic sealer and then the gloss glaze?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-from happy feet
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 172 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Ken Burns on Technological Advances in Filmmaking
Ken Burns on Overcoming Filmmaking Obstacles
Ken Burns on “The National Parks”
Ken Burns on How the Film Shapes the Filmmaker
Henry Selick on Coraline Production
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...